Zero2Cool
11 years ago

In the $3-4 million range is something that I think is more than fair for a starter who has played pretty well throughout his career.

Eric Winston wrote:

Is this guy worth what he wants? I’m not sure how Bryan Bulaga and Derek Sherrod are coming along, but if neither is ready, the Tackles would probably be Marshall Newhouse and Don Barclay. I’d feel more comfortable if they signed Winston for RT and let Sherrod and Bulaga battle it out for LT with the loser being backup.
UserPostedImage
Laser Gunns
11 years ago
As far as I know, Winston is a pretty good RT.

The fact he is unsigned after all this time is a red flag.

He may be hurt, or is asking more than they are letting on. (A lot of guaranteed years)

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
play2win
11 years ago
I am thinking Ted sticks with Andrew Datko. This kid was projected as a early R3 talent coming off shoulder surgery and because of that we got him in the 6th last year. He was medically cleared post surgery, and spent all of last season building his strength on a 6-6 320 frame. Super smart. Good feet. One of those "no one works harder" types. Excellent at reading schemes. Allowed 1 sack in his last full season of play. I think we are better at OT than many might think, but that is just my guess.

"Why Packer fans should keep an eye on him: The best way I can state this is that Datko is a lot like James Starks. Starks was looking a solid 2-4 round pick before his injury in college that caused his draft stock to sink. The Packers got him in the sixth round and so far he has worked out alright, but he still struggles to get on the field. Datko was projected to be a second round pick by many until his most recent shoulder injury. If he can stay healthy then the Packers have a great swing tackle at the very least and a possible prototypical left tackle for nothing at the best. All he has to do is keep developing and stay healthy."
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2012/6/25/3116501/rookie-spotlight-andrew-datko 

I bet they roll with him, maybe select another in the draft. That's just based on their trending.

Winston (6-7 302) would be a good pick up though for RT. Only 3 sacks allowed last season in over 1000 snaps. Total cap casualty. Great zone blocker. This would be one of those signings that could save a draft choice for better use on D. I'm all for it if they would do it. Eric Winston would be a great addition to our team, protecting Rodgers and opening up some lanes for our RBs.

I would say YES! Sign the guy!
Pack93z
11 years ago
I don't think it would be a bad signing.. however depending on the cap space after we get the Rodgers/Matthews deals done.. I think there are also other options that would be considerations for that portion of the left over cap space.

Shaun Phillips comes to mind.. a 3-4 OLB that had 9.5 sacks again last year.. might have a limited window in which he is effective yet, but might be a 2 or 3 year solution.. or at worst a rotational player with Matthews, Perry, Moses to give us more of a pass rush punch.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago
Nobody wrong here, Winston would be a good signing, but is that position the one The Packers have the most need at?

The big ELEPHANT in the room,which seems to be being ignored right now is when is Ted going to get the deals with Aaron and Clay done?

The longer it takes, the fewer of these FA's,(who might become available at a lower price), will be left unsigned.

I guess the negotiations between Ted and AR's and Clay's agent gives him a built in excuse not to get involved in any FA negotiations with veteran players.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Nobody wrong here, Winston would be a good signing, but is that position the one The Packers have the most need at?

The big ELEPHANT in the room,which seems to be being ignored right now is when is Ted going to get the deals with Aaron and Clay done?

The longer it takes, the fewer of these FA's,(who might become available at a lower price), will be left unsigned.

I guess the negotiations between Ted and AR's and Clay's agent gives him a built in excuse not to get involved in any FA negotiations with veteran players.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Those players are under contract already. The extensions are being worked on by their Agent (I say Agent because I think they are represented by the same one) and Russ Ball, not Ted Thompson. Thompson approves contracts, Ball writes them.

I don't believe the Packers care about excuses as to why they didn't sign a Free Agent and I for one am pleased they don't care to consider the fans opinions/thoughts when leading the professional franchise of the Green Bay Packers.

No elephant, just a bunch of inpatient fans, which I think is great!
UserPostedImage
warhawk
11 years ago
The Packers have a lot invested in Sherrod and Bulaga so if they are ready physically I cannot see inhibiting either from getting the PT they need. Sherrod has started 5 whole games. I would guess if the medical staff is happy with where he is at physically they won't pay somebody else while taking away the snaps he needs to become a solid OL.
If I remember correctly Sherrod was not projected to be an instant starter but with experience had all the tools to be a very good OL. They say it takes two years for OL to succeed but fan wise I find very few with that kind of patience.
"The train is leaving the station."
Mucky Tundra
11 years ago
Out of curiosity I googled eric winston pass protection. Didn't even click on the results and just looked at the brief text preview beneath each link. Copied and pasted:

Link 1: Everyone needs to be honest; Eric Winston was the worst of our starting linemen in pass protection last year.

Link 2: Eric Winston - Winston had some issues in pass protection with speed rushers and with guys who could make strong inside moves, but ...

Link 3: Most fans were shocked today when the Texans cut Eric Winston loose. ... but his pass protection has been a bit of an issue the last couple of ...

Link 4: Eric Winston 2013 player profile, game log, season stats, career stats, ... fits one scheme and is coming off a sub-par season in pass protection.

Link 9: Tackle Eric Winston continues to look for a job. He could be ... A steady run blocker but his pass protection was hit and miss. Smart guy and not ...

I bolded the part in Link 2 because isn't that what our OTs struggled with over the past few years? If he has trouble pass blocking on run first teams like the Texans and Chiefs, what chance does he have in GB?! Seems like a real roll of the dice if they were to sign him[suicide]
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
thanks mucky. I was not keen on signing him to begin with. Rather see our current players grow and develop. But if he can't pass block he is useless.

edit- I just noticed my typo on the name. I be bad and will stand in a corner for 5 minutes. Times up.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago

thanks murky. I was not keen on signing him to begin with. Rather see our current players grow and develop. But if he can't pass block he is useless.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Wait.. I am confused.. one thread you are saying you want impact free agents.. in this one let the young guys grow and develop. Don't we have young guys at about every position? [grin1]
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (15h) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (17h) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (19h) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.