wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Wait.. I am confused.. one thread you are saying you want impact free agents.. in this one let the young guys grow and develop. Don't we have young guys at about every position? [grin1]

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

All right, just because I like you I will try to help you through your confusion.

just because I want Ted to look at (and acquire) quality free agents I don't every guy that puts on a jock.
OT is not a position of need.

They do have options. First we the fans have no idea if Sherrod and Bulaga or fine or not. If they are we don't need him. If they are not does the coaching staff feel the Newhouse and or Barclay have shown enough? What about Datko. I had zero expectations from him last year and only a tiny bit more this year.

RB, S and DL are positions that could have used an off season upgrade. Like Datko, I am not as excited about Harris as everyone else is. Green needs to grow but I question his ceiling as well. Starks is what he is. He will not grow much more. He will be injured more. I am ignoring Saine altogether.

Yes all the safeties are young. Maybe they need more time to grow. How much will they grow in one year? Not enough to be above average quality safeties in 2013. A seasoned vet with some savvy experience would have been nice.

DL. Sigh. Pick is getting down right old. Raji is good but would do better with some real help. Neal has not shown very much in his limited time. I wouldn't want to count on him being the help they really need. Daniels and Worthy may be the guys they are looking for but it would be nice if GB picked up someone to step in while they are still learning what to do and I don't expect Worthy to do any contributing this year at all.

LB is fine. I wouldn't have minded for them to look at a 3-4 OLB but Perry needs those reps.
WR's picked up via the FA is not always a good thing. I don't see that as a critical need. They can go the draft route and pay a whole lot less to get the same results.
TE same thing.
QB I would not have minded a decent/reliable #2. Perhaps they will stick Coleman into that spot this year.
OG and C. The guards are solid who ever they pick up would be backup only and they have that covered with current players already. I would prefer to use a #2 or 3 for a C and then let him work his way into the lineup.

So summarize of what I have been saying for weeks, I don't want Uncle Ted to spend $100 mil on 15 new FA's. That would be stupid. They don't have that kind of need. By the same token I hate it when fans, media and the Packer's FO acts like that is the only option to talk about. They could go out and pick up 1 player this year, one player next year who is more than just camp fodder, that happens to make the team, and fill him into a slot where they could use some help. Injury prone players and guys who have played for more than 10 years need not apply.

better now?
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
10 years ago
Wayne.. I understood your point.. just set out to rattle your cage a little.. [grin1]

Seriously, I am in the same position.. we might not agree on the quality factor of all free agents.. but I do think at times Ted could dip into the market a bit more, if the opportunity presents itself. I think he has done that with mixed results.. and I think at times maybe he could be a bit more aggressive in pursuit.. and maybe at times over plays the our player approach.

All I know is yearly we are near the top of the league in wins, in least amount of dead money, cap space, and youngest roster. With a hard salary cap.. and our yearly win totals.. it is hard to say it doesn't work.

To me, our issues stem more from these two aspects yearly.. injuries and offensive line play. Injuries are somewhat of a more complex issue in part.. and just plain poor luck. The offensive line play. that falls on Mike McCarthy for sticking with Campen as a coach there as he has proven over and over he can't consistently develop talent and mold it into a solid unit. We can't say that Ted hasn't put players into the system.. and some high draft picks to boot.. except maybe at center.

That offensive line play trickles down to the defense via field position and time of possession, not to mention gets our QB knocked around to often and hampers our running attack at critical points.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
play2win
10 years ago

Out of curiosity I googled eric winston pass protection. Didn't even click on the results and just looked at the brief text preview beneath each link. Copied and pasted:

Link 1: Everyone needs to be honest; Eric Winston was the worst of our starting linemen in pass protection last year.

Link 2: Eric Winston - Winston had some issues in pass protection with speed rushers and with guys who could make strong inside moves, but ...

Link 3: Most fans were shocked today when the Texans cut Eric Winston loose. ... but his pass protection has been a bit of an issue the last couple of ...

Link 4: Eric Winston 2013 player profile, game log, season stats, career stats, ... fits one scheme and is coming off a sub-par season in pass protection.

Link 9: Tackle Eric Winston continues to look for a job. He could be ... A steady run blocker but his pass protection was hit and miss. Smart guy and not ...

I bolded the part in Link 2 because isn't that what our OTs struggled with over the past few years? If he has trouble pass blocking on run first teams like the Texans and Chiefs, what chance does he have in GB?! Seems like a real roll of the dice if they were to sign him[suicide]

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

hmmm. The guy only gave up 3 sacks in 2012, over 1000 snaps. I wonder how many pressures he gave up?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Wayne.. I understood your point.. just set out to rattle your cage a little.. [grin1]

Seriously, I am in the same position.. we might not agree on the quality factor of all free agents.. but I do think at times Ted could dip into the market a bit more, if the opportunity presents itself. I think he has done that with mixed results.. and I think at times maybe he could be a bit more aggressive in pursuit.. and maybe at times over plays the our player approach.

All I know is yearly we are near the top of the league in wins, in least amount of dead money, cap space, and youngest roster. With a hard salary cap.. and our yearly win totals.. it is hard to say it doesn't work.

To me, our issues stem more from these two aspects yearly.. injuries and offensive line play. Injuries are somewhat of a more complex issue in part.. and just plain poor luck. The offensive line play. that falls on Mike McCarthy for sticking with Campen as a coach there as he has proven over and over he can't consistently develop talent and mold it into a solid unit. We can't say that Ted hasn't put players into the system.. and some high draft picks to boot.. except maybe at center.

That offensive line play trickles down to the defense via field position and time of possession, not to mention gets our QB knocked around to often and hampers our running attack at critical points.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I pretty much knew where you were coming from. Decided to peak to FA on a position by position basis and use you as the excuse to do so. Plus take a shot at those who over react to acquiring FA's. šŸ‘

This is the area I will give you a small amount of contention. If all we want and expect from GB is to go 10-6 to 14-2, make the playoffs every year. Win a playoff game or 2 then Ted is doing exactly what needs to be done. They sell out the stadium. They will be among the leaders in licensed goods sales. Stick a few bucks into the reserves coffer and everyone in town will say "Hi" when they see Uncle Ted or Mike or the rest of the gang when they are on a beach in FL.

But if we want championships and a lot of them then they have to do more. They have to risk more. They want the players to give a 110% but they only want to go 70-80% and hope for the best when it comes to putting a team together.

Except for nermann, I think everyone likes to see Aaron Rodgers take a couple of shots down field during a game. that is all I ask for. take a couple of shots in the FA market. Not eve every year. Every couple of years would be fine. He will connect sometimes and miss on others. But if he goes for real honest to goodness quality players instead of 3rd tier rejects, the walking wounded or ancient mariners of the game he will be more successful that he has been.

You know what? I would even accept them saying that they have no intention of wasting money on top quality FAs. They will not pick up even one player. It is this double speak crap I resent of "Oh other teams like Washington and Phillie grabbed a whole bunch of players and it just doesn't work that way." Don't treat me like I am stupid Ted and & Co I hate that.

In the past I have not been real vocal on getting FAs. But the crap they have been slinging is getting real old. Man up or shut up.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
10 years ago
Oh, don't get me wrong, for me in my mind it is the Lombardi or bust every year.. but realistically speaking that can't happen.. not with the parity.

So, each year we have to get into the playoffs, this gives us a shot yearly at the title.

My frustration in reality is our inability or lack of desire to become a complete enough football team to win in multiple fashions.. IE.. being able to run when the game dictates we need to run. To clarify for the pass happy slingers.. not run first mentality, but run when we should run the ball based on match up, down and distance, clock management or just to impose our will upon the defense and break their backs.

This all comes back to consistent offensive line play, play calling and possibly scheme. I firmly believe yearly we have the talent on this roster to win it all.. we have depth at almost every position yearly. 2010 attests to that. So did last season.

I don't think it is a talent problem.. I think it starts with offensive mentality and it rolls over to the defense. "Finesse" if you will. Lacking physicality. Etc.

Again, I think we score with the pass.. and we most of the time do that well.. but I think the missing element is after we score and take a lead, balance up the offense a bit more and control the ball, consistently have the edge in field position and grind team down.

I said it a number of times since 2008.. we have the talent on the offensive line to do it.. we lack the position coaches to get it out of them and play as a complete unit .. which may or may not be the basis that the blue collar Mike McCarthy doesn't break the opposition more with the run later in games and protect the exposure the defense has.

I will never understand the retention of James Campen yearly..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

Those players are under contract already. The extensions are being worked on by their Agent (I say Agent because I think they are represented by the same one) and Russ Ball, not Ted Thompson. Thompson approves contracts, Ball writes them.

I don't believe the Packers care about excuses as to why they didn't sign a Free Agent and I for one am pleased they don't care to consider the fans opinions/thoughts when leading the professional franchise of the Green Bay Packers.

No elephant, just a bunch of inpatient fans, which I think is great!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I guess I should have added a little sarcasm alert on my last statement, and sorry I don't know the pecking order when it comes to who negotiates contract extensions.

I could care less if The Packers sign any FA's, but the fact remains, this year FA is a little different, there are still quality players available.

Looks like all the big money has been spent, so there very well could be a player available at a decent price that could help The Packers, but until Rodgers and Mathews get their deals done, it makes it difficult to go after anybody.

The ? was should Packers sign RT Eric Winston, different opinions here, I don't have a clue whether he could help, so I say no.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
I don't have a clue either ... offensive line would have to be my weakest knowledge point ... and there are several to choose from lol
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

hmmm. The guy only gave up 3 sacks in 2012, over 1000 snaps. I wonder how many pressures he gave up?

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Hmm, given that the Chiefs went 2-14 last year, maybe they didn't have the ball much on offense? I'm thinking back to 2006 when GB went 4-12 and were good statistically against giving up passing yards. Of course, that's because opposing teams were busy milking the clock. šŸ¤¦

I should point out too most of those thinks I posted were from Houston Texan sites or message boards and Winston played there for six years.

All in all, he isn't better than Bulaga, doesn't seem like a huge upgrade over Newhouse and seems like a more expensive, older version of Barclay who already hit his ceiling.
ā€œNah. I like having the island. Itā€™s pretty cool...not too many visitorsā€
UserPostedImage
"Iā€™ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
play2win
10 years ago

Hmm, given that the Chiefs went 2-14 last year, maybe they didn't have the ball much on offense? I'm thinking back to 2006 when GB went 4-12 and were good statistically against giving up passing yards. Of course, that's because opposing teams were busy milking the clock. šŸ¤¦

I should point out too most of those thinks I posted were from Houston Texan sites or message boards and Winston played there for six years.

All in all, he isn't better than Bulaga, doesn't seem like a huge upgrade over Newhouse and seems like a more expensive, older version of Barclay who already hit his ceiling.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Hey muck,

I don't have anything invested in any of this, other than my stock. If Ted thinks it is a good call, fine. Personally, I don't think he is looking this direction, and will be sticking with what he has at LT.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (14h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (15h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (15h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? šŸ„ŗ I think that means you missed more than half of them šŸ˜¢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (21h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (21h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (21h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (21h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead šŸ¤Ŗ
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (22h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (22h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright Ā© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comā„¢. All Rights Reserved.