macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
10 years ago
LIke just about everything about Jerkmichael, this article had a number of little things that made me grit my teeth, including his agent there at the end:

Baratz said he apologized to both Finley and Rodgers.

“(But) really to Jermichael because he got dragged into something he had nothing to do with,” Baratz said. “That’s what I was apologetic about, not necessarily what I said...

Glad to hear Jerkmichael has decided to work out a little harder this offseason. Too bad the branding company doing his 18 min documentary didn't film him last year, too.

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=21061 

Finley hopes to emulate Gonzalez

GREEN BAY – Jermichael Finley wants to be like Tony Gonzalez. If he succeeds, the Green Bay Packers’ offense will be even more dangerous than last season, even without free-agent wide receiver Greg Jennings, now a member of the rival Minnesota Vikings.

Finley joined Paul Allen, the radio play-by-play voice of the Vikings, on Twin Cities radio station KFAN Wednesday morning and held forth on a variety of subjects, including which player he emulates. After being compared to Antonio Gates by guest Corey Chavous, Finley went a different direction.

“The tight end I would like to mimic is Gonzalez. He’s consistent,” Finley told Allen. “That’s where I would like to take my game.”

Last month, Gonzalez informed the Atlanta Falcons that he would return in 2013 after saying during the season he was 95 percent sure he would retire after the 2012 season. The future Pro Football Hall of Famer, who turned 37 in February, led the Falcons with 93 catches for 930 yards and eight touchdowns last season, all single-season highs for his four seasons in Atlanta. He added 14 catches for 129 yards and two touchdowns in the team's two playoff games.

Gonzalez, who played his first 12 seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, is a 13-time Pro Bowl selection, has more receptions, TD receptions, receiving yards, 100-yard games and Pro Bowl appearances than any tight end in NFL history.

Finley came on strong in the second half of last season and finished with 61 receptions – most by a tight end in Packers history – for 667 yards and two touchdowns. His cap number for 2013 is $8.25 million, having received a $3 million roster bonus on March 26 to go with a $4.45 million base salary, according to NFL Players Association data, and other bonuses. Finley signed a two-year deal, $14 million before hitting free agency in February 2012.

Speaking with Allen, Finley said being the highest paid tight end in the NFL in 2013 won’t affect him.

“Fat and happy, I would never. You could give me $100 mil. I would never get fat and happy,” said Finley, who also spoke about “slimming down” this offseason. Finley was listed at 247 pounds last year.

I’m just working a little bit harder. Slimming down,” Finley said. “I didn’t try to do it; it’s just how it worked.”

Finley appeared with his agent, Blake Baratz, and is apparently having a documentary done about him. Baratz said it’s being done by a branding company called Full Circle Intermedia and compared it to HBO’s Hard Knocks. The camera crew was with them inside the KFAN studio.

“They’re going to put on an 18-minute series on Jermichael and his life,” Baratz said. “It’s not scripted, it’s not planned. Everybody is going to see what he’s like – good, bad and indifferent. … That’s what the fans want to see. They don’t want to see the scripted press conferences.”

Finley spoke about a few other topics, including:

On the return of inside linebacker Desmond Bishop, a Baratz client who missed last season with a torn hamstring: “Desmond is a big asset to our defense. It was much needed last year. He got injured. That happens in the league. The Packers had to replace him, but you can’t replace a guy like Desmond Bishop. Hopefully he comes back healthy and comes back with a bang.”

On Jennings joining the Vikings: “He’s going to be a big playmaker. I see Christian Ponder being a great quarterback next year. You get a guy like Greg Jennings, who’s going to detail every aspect of his game and (Ponder’s), Greg is not only a great player; he’s a great person also. … I would think Greg will be a big help for Christian. He’s going to be in his ear like a little gnat. It’s going to be nice to see.”

On how losing Jennings hurts the Packers: “He’s a great player, but we’ve got a lot of guys on the shelf right now (in Green Bay). And you know the mastermind of Ted Thompson. … (And) we’ve got the best quarterback in the league.”

On linebacker Brian Urlacher leaving the Chicago Bears: “It’ll be awesome, because he’s one of those guys who’s savvy. He’s going to read the offense and pretty much knows our playbook in and out. It’ll be nice to have him out of the NFC (North). … He’s had injuries here and there. I would say he’s slowed up a little, but he still had the knowledge to overcome the slow step that he had. He knows the game, so he can overcome being slow.”

Meanwhile, Baratz was asked about his Tweet from last season, which questioned quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ leadership. Baratz said he apologized to both Finley and Rodgers.

“(But) really to Jermichael because he got dragged into something he had nothing to do with,” Baratz said. “That’s what I was apologetic about, not necessarily what I said. … Everyone just attached it to him because he’s said so many comments regarding Aaron Rodgers.”

ESPNMilwaukee.com wrote:

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
Whatever it is, it is. I have grown indifferent to Finley's talk. Just catch the rock. A few years ago Packer fans would have been falling all over someone if they set the GB record for the most receptions by a TE.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago
He's the highest paid TE in the league? That just bothers me for some reason.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dulak
10 years ago
and we are paying finley this much again why? - because he catches a lot of balls right? ... is that good? is a good run blocker? ...

oh I know its because he does that pointy arm thing after he catches 1 pass a game ...

Zero2Cool
10 years ago
It is clear Jermichael Finley has value to the Packers offense. I can't say it's highest TE pay value though. 2012 season, Finley was 3rd with 61 receptions on the Packers even when he was suffering a shoulder injury during a portion of the first half of the season. More than half of his receptions resulted in first downs too.

I don't quite get the sentiment that Finley is trash garbage. Is he worth $8-$9 million? I don't think so. I do think Finley has value to the team, just more in the $5 million per year range, with incentives.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

It is clear Jermichael Finley has value to the Packers offense. I can't say it's highest TE pay value though. 2012 season, Finley was 3rd with 61 receptions on the Packers even when he was suffering a shoulder injury during a portion of the first half of the season. More than half of his receptions resulted in first downs too.

I don't quite get the sentiment that Finley is trash garbage. Is he worth $8-$9 million? I don't think so. I do think Finley has value to the team, just more in the $5 million per year range, with incentives.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/rankings#tabset=pr-te 
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te 
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1095582-br-nfl-1000-top-50-tight-ends/page/34 

His 2012 performance ranked him around #13-18 in the NFL at TE... He had all of -TWO- TDs in 2012. Down year, with the shoulder injury. That had to affect his play some. Played better towards the end of the season, but not to his contract value. I agree.

Maybe this year we see what they have been clinging to with Finley.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
It became pretty obvious it was going to be Jennings or Finley this year, Packers could not afford both.

JF may be the highest paid TE this year, but if he doesn't produce, he will either take a pay cut next year or will be gone.

Losing Jennings and Finley the same year,IMHO, would have been just to much.

Ted might have overpaid to keep Finley this year, only time will tell, but it's not like his salary is going to effect any other signings this year, and by next year, The Packers will know just how much they can pay Finley if they want to keep him.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
StoicFire
10 years ago
I think referencing Finley's statistics in order to determine his value to the team only tells part of the story. Every year he is treated by opposing Defensive Coordinators as the most feared target in our receiving corp. The entire group benefits from his presence on the field even when he isn't thrown to. I'm not a cap expert, but in my opinion his value to us is huge, so I am OK with whatever they pay him.

He almost always receives bracket coverage over the middle of the field, and if split out wide in the redzone the corner assigned to him gets safety help. Also, if a team chooses not to give Finely all kinds of attention (something I can only remember happening consistently once at Chicago in 2011) he recorded 7 catches for 85 yards and 3 TDs!

I think it is also possible though, that the Packers are kind of in a bind with Finley. He has the tools to be the most dominant TE in the league, and if you don't pay him you're leaving him for the competition. I personally would much rather see him in green and gold than see him across the line of scrimmage.

"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
play2win
10 years ago

I think referencing Finley's statistics in order to determine his value to the team only tells part of the story. Every year he is treated by opposing Defensive Coordinators as the most feared target in our receiving corp. The entire group benefits from his presence on the field even when he isn't thrown to. I'm not a cap expert, but in my opinion his value to us is huge, so I am OK with whatever they pay him.

He almost always receives bracket coverage over the middle of the field, and if split out wide in the redzone the corner assigned to him gets safety help. Also, if a team chooses not to give Finely all kinds of attention (something I can only remember happening consistently once at Chicago in 2011) he recorded 7 catches for 85 yards and 3 TDs!

I think it is also possible though, that the Packers are kind of in a bind with Finley. He has the tools to be the most dominant TE in the league, and if you don't pay him you're leaving him for the competition. I personally would much rather see him in green and gold than see him across the line of scrimmage.

Originally Posted by: StoicFire 

That is the weird part about it. When will the light go on with the guy? This year with the Packers, or after he dons another uniform? Or, will it ever?

He has enormous potential, and does create great matchup problems for any D, just by his mere presence and the threat. I'm hoping this investment pays off for Ted and his staff, and that the guy realizes his true potential this season.
Porforis
10 years ago
I certainly hope it will affect him into playing like he deserves the money.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (12h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (15h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (18h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Around The NFL / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.