Zero2Cool
10 years ago

It became pretty obvious it was going to be Jennings or Finley this year, Packers could not afford both.

JF may be the highest paid TE this year, but if he doesn't produce, he will either take a pay cut next year or will be gone.

Losing Jennings and Finley the same year,IMHO, would have been just to much.

Ted might have overpaid to keep Finley this year, only time will tell, but it's not like his salary is going to effect any other signings this year, and by next year, The Packers will know just how much they can pay Finley if they want to keep him.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Perhaps overpaid to keep him, and to keep someone else from having him and he reaching his potential with them, against the Packers. Chess?
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
10 years ago

Perhaps overpaid to keep him, and to keep someone else from having him and he reaching his potential with them, against the Packers. Chess?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

High stakes "chess" indeed.

play2win
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Vikes could have paid for him... and I think they would have.
StoicFire
10 years ago

Vikes could have paid for him... and I think they would have.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I considered taking a jab at the Vikes in my first comment, saying something along the lines of "I'd rather see him in green and gold than twice a year in purple." Opted against it in spite of their penchant for signing ex-Packers.

I'm not so sure they would have paid for him though. As it stands Kyle Rudolph is a stud and Christian Ponder's favorite target, so I don't see Finley being too high on their wish-list. I think the only interest from within division would probably be Chicago.
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Pack93z
10 years ago
I can't wait til Finley moves on, then the fan base finds a new target for their complaints.. at least Bush has gotten some reprieve.

Poor freaking AJ Hawk then will be on the front line all by himself. [grin1]
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
StoicFire
10 years ago

I can't wait til Finley moves on the fan base finds a new target for their complaints.. at least Bush has gotten some reprieve.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

It is unfortunate that there always seems to be that guy with the target on his back. I understand that sometimes it is entirely deserved, but not every year. Times are pretty good in Packer country right now... it's not like we have to deal with guys like Ahmad Carroll anymore...
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Porforis
10 years ago

It is unfortunate that there always seems to be that guy with the target on his back. I understand that sometimes it is entirely deserved, but not every year. Times are pretty good in Packer country right now... it's not like we have to deal with guys like Ahmad Carroll anymore...

Originally Posted by: StoicFire 

Or late-career Bubba "Stonehands" Franks. Although Finley's tried to emulate him at times.
Dulak
10 years ago

It became pretty obvious it was going to be Jennings or Finley this year, Packers could not afford both.

JF may be the highest paid TE this year, but if he doesn't produce, he will either take a pay cut next year or will be gone.

Losing Jennings and Finley the same year,IMHO, would have been just to much.

Ted might have overpaid to keep Finley this year, only time will tell, but it's not like his salary is going to effect any other signings this year, and by next year, The Packers will know just how much they can pay Finley if they want to keep him.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I guess I don't understand how contracts work in the nfl ... so assuming the above is true; that makes sense ...
guess Id of done the same thing - Jennings being the weaker link so keep the one and pay him a bit more so you got that guarantee

warhawk
10 years ago
The Packers were stuck here because both Jennings and Finley had to be dealt with in the same year. Jennings at 31 was going to go for as much as he could get plus for as many years as he could get.

They had Finley as a bird in the hand but only by virtue of paying him the $3 mil and with Jennings gone they had no choice really. Considering they are much deeper at WR than TE they played it the best they could.

Ted has made no move to extend Finley though (although he may down the road but I have my doubts) so I could see a TE like Ertz being in the cards. Finley is going to play his butt off knowing he can hit FA and once again look to get overpaid after next year. Also, you throw in that prick for an agent Finley has and him sticking around even looks less likely.

Ted has to have a good TE alternative ready or Finley will fall into a position with leverage again or they could end up with no athletic pass catching TE on the roster. Neither option is where Ted wants to find himself.

Ertz can catch AND block. With Finley focused and playing for the future I can see McCarthy coming up with Two TE packages that could really be interesting. At leas for a year.

It's a shame because I would really like Ted to have the option to trade down if the opportunity comes up but if you hear the name Ertz it's because he's thinking the same way I see it.

"The train is leaving the station."
play2win
10 years ago

I can't wait til Finley moves on, then the fan base finds a new target for their complaints.. at least Bush has gotten some reprieve.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Hey Pack93z,

It's not like the criticism is unfounded. I think fans can rightly be upset when an important drive is stopped by a drop, or a TD is missed by a drop. I look at a lot of these guys, hell, all of them, and hope they succeed. I want them to do well, and to be the best in the NFL. They make mistakes and we have to give them that. Everybody does. That's why they play the games.

But, when a player gets beat at his position in a game, and when it becomes a regular thing, either by his own fault or by the play of the opponent, then questions are raised about the player's effectiveness, and his value to the team. Not unlike Jarrett Bush, not unlike AJ Hawk, both great players on many levels, who exhibited deficiencies in coverage and were roundly criticized. Opponents didn't just make a play once on either of them, but they were shown to have been beaten routinely in just this one aspect of their play, costing the team in extended drives and scores.

Same with Finley.

Finley went a half of a season in 2012 with a bunch of key drops and some very public criticism of his relationship with our MVP QB (and it wasn't the first time). Oddly enough Jordy Nelson had a bunch of key drops too. They had about the same number of drops as I recall. However, Nelson had way more attempts, is paid a very reasonable figure on the value scale, and keeps his mouth shut. Jordy Nelson is not out there trumpeting his talents as being the best in the NFL. He's not calling out other top performers at WR in the NFL, saying he is better than them. I think fans are sophisticated enough to make those judgement calls with regards to top performance or under performance on the value scale, and whether or not the player is a positive influence on his team, or if his extraneous stuff and poor play is a distraction.

I think Finley has great potential as a receiver, and as a Packers fan, I would like to see him realize that in the Green & Gold. If he doesn't, then I'm not seeing the value. I think he's a horrific blocker with only half hearted effort in that part of his game. That is an important part of a TE's game, and that doesn't help his perceived value. I hope he cleans that up too. I want him to do well. I want him to win as a Packer, and to be a key contributor to our team's success.

Bush turned things around by becoming one of the top STs performers in the NFL. His coverage has improved over the last three seasons too.

Hawk has shown he can be a complete MLB with his play in 2010. He slipped greatly in coverage and in creating TOs over the last two seasons, and took a pay cut to increase his overall value to the team. Now, his pay is a bit more commiserate with his play. He's still a great leader on this team.

What has Finley done?
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.