Dulak
10 years ago
got to tell you - sure am tired of the packers needing DL OLB and OLine ...
like every year since we moved to the 3-4 its been the same thing ...

but its true - we need em ... oh and a running back (if our injured don't look like they can cut it).

Yerko
  • Yerko
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

Really? No Saftey... Take a look at some of the Safteys in this draft and reconsider. Jennings doesn't fit our scheme and can't tackle. Mcmillian is raw but the guy shouldn't be covering TE's.. Right now we only have 3 Safteys and 1 is only worthy of being a starter(burnett).

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

Let me clarify that when I first wrote this out, I had a safety name in the 1st round. After reading some things, I took the name out because I think McMillian can become a decent starter if the Packers continue to let him play. Vacarro and Reid are going to get snatched up quickly (and too soon, imo) and after that, Matt Elam is probably the best option at #26 and the knock on him is his inability to cover tight ends due to his size (but he is truly a tough guy, so who knows).
The other scenario I thought about was if the Packers were to trade out of the first round. If they get an early enough 2nd round pick, maybe Elam is still there or Johnathan Cyprien. From what I read about Cyprien, he is a head hunter and takes bad angles a lot of the time. I feel like any safety past round 2 would be equal to the talent the Packers currently have.

McMillian has a decently high ceiling. This is only his second year, so why give up on him so early?

With that said, I think the Packers have some bigger issues to deal with than safety. Defensive line is first in mind and there should still be some there worth the #26 pick. Another thing to think about is the Packers have 5 defensive linemen on the last year of their contract after this season.

That's basically my reasoning for no safeties.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
  • Yerko
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
10 years ago
I waited till the last day possible to post this and the Packers go and make cuts (Saine and Smith) and put Cedric Benson through a physical the same day. Damn them...

If Cedric passes his physical and signs, nix the two RB options at round 2 and 3.

With the release of DJ Smith, I think the Packers might try to draft another inside linebacker. Jon Bostic from Florida comes to mind and he should be there in the mid-rounds (a possible 3rd round choice). Maybe that is too soon since they do have depth there at the moment.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

I waited till the last day possible to post this and the Packers go and make cuts (Saine and Smith) and put Cedric Benson through a physical the same day. Damn them...

If Cedric passes his physical and signs, nix the two RB options at round 2 and 3.

With the release of DJ Smith, I think the Packers might try to draft another inside linebacker. Jon Bostic from Florida comes to mind and he should be there in the mid-rounds (a possible 3rd round choice). Maybe that is too soon since they do have depth there at the moment.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

i like Bostic. That would be a great addition IMO.

As for Safety, here is a refresher on our own 6-2 216 23 year old Sean Richardson:

Signed by Green Bay as a non-drafted free agent on May 8, 2012…A four-year letterman for the Commodores who started 31 consecutive games and finished his career with 256 tackles, including 18 tackles for loss, three sacks, an INT and 10 passes defensed…Started all 13 games as a senior and finished second on the team with 63 total tackles…Posted his first career interception in a win vs. Ole Miss (Sept. 17)…Contributed six tackles and a sack vs. Georgia (Oct. 15)…Tied his career high with 10 stops and added a sack at Florida (Nov. 5)…Set career highs in tackles (98) and tackles for loss (seven) as a junior in 2010…Ranked fourth in the SEC in solo tackles (5.2 per game)…Recorded four or more tackles in every game…Posted double-digit tackles in three consecutive games vs. LSU (Sept. 11), at Ole Miss (Sept. 18) and at Connecticut (Oct. 2)…Contributed three passes defensed at Arkansas (Oct. 30)…Named team’s Defensive Player of the Week after a nine-tackle performance vs. Tennessee (Nov. 20)…Started 10 games in 2009 and earned the team’s Hustle Award…Finished second on the team with 43 solo tackles and registered 84 stops overall…Posted 10 tackles and forced a fumble vs. Mississippi State (Sept. 19)…Named the team’s Defensive Player of the Week after making 11 stops vs. Kentucky (Nov. 14)…One of just three true freshmen to play for the Commodores in 2008, appearing in 12 games…Named team’s top special teams player for the game vs. Florida (Nov. 😎 and win at Kentucky (Nov. 15)…Recovered a muffed punt for a touchdown in a win over Boston College in the Gaylord Music City Bowl (Dec. 31)…Majored in human organization development...College teammate of Packers CB Casey Hayward...Starred at QB, RB, WR, S and CB for Linden (Ala.) High…Lettered four years in football and basketball and also participated in track for one year…Posted 101 tackles and three interceptions as a senior…Led the basketball team in rebounding…Earned school’s leadership award…First person from Linden High to receive a Division I scholarship…Heavily involved in the community, working at a nursing home in high school and the Murtha O’Bryan Center in Nashville, mentoring youths and volunteering to help at homeless shelters during the holidays…Mother, Sandra, served in the Army and has been a nurse for more than 18 years…Brother, Darnell Jr., plays football at Alabama State…Enjoys playing basketball, spending time with his family and friends, hunting, fishing and riding four-wheelers…Lists his favorite athlete as Kobe Bryant, favorite TV show as Meet the Browns, favorite movie as Life and favorite musical artist as Lil Wayne...Family friends with retired NBA center Theo Ratliff…Single, lives in Linden, Ala. …Given name Seandre Antonio Richardson; born at Fort Campbell in Clarksville, Tenn.

We already have him locked in. I'm guessing the staff feels he may be as good or better than any Safeties in this draft. I can easily see them not taking one this year, even though it is a need position of some sort. To me, that priority is down quite a bit compared to DE, NT, LB, RB, LT and C.
PackerTraxx
10 years ago

I like many of those players Yerko. Nice job.

Here is mine, bringin' the beef!:

26 - Margus Hunt DE SMU Dude is fucking huge, can sack and block kicks
55 - Jonathan Jenkins NT Georgia Dude is also fucking huge, can stuff the run
88 - Philip Thomas S Fresno St. Dude can pick
122 - Brian Schwenke C Cal - Dude could be a great true C
159 - Stephan Taylor RB Stanford - Dude is a rock in pass pro, always gets the job done
167 - Kwame Geathers DT Georgia - Dude is fucking huger
193 - Rodney Smith WR Florida St. - Dude is fucking tall
232 - Ace Sanders WR South Carolina - Dude has awesome hands, little guy

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I like would be happy with that draft if Ted Thompson thought enough of those players. Hunt is really intriguing. He should fit the 3-4 very well, at 6'8" and 280 I would think they could put another 15-20 pounds on him and he would have the size one looks for. His measureables are outstanding, I think it's just a matter of whether they feel he takes coaching and learns well and quickly. Schwenke at 4 would be really nice, I believe a very good/outstanding C would help tremendously on our O line. Those are my favorite two. The only other thing that would make me happy is to get Gholston or Kruger for another 3-4 DE somewhere along the line.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
nerdmann
10 years ago

i like Bostic. That would be a great addition IMO.

As for Safety, here is a refresher on our own 6-2 216 23 year old Sean Richardson:

Signed by Green Bay as a non-drafted free agent on May 8, 2012…A four-year letterman for the Commodores who started 31 consecutive games and finished his career with 256 tackles, including 18 tackles for loss, three sacks, an INT and 10 passes defensed…Started all 13 games as a senior and finished second on the team with 63 total tackles…Posted his first career interception in a win vs. Ole Miss (Sept. 17)…Contributed six tackles and a sack vs. Georgia (Oct. 15)…Tied his career high with 10 stops and added a sack at Florida (Nov. 5)…Set career highs in tackles (98) and tackles for loss (seven) as a junior in 2010…Ranked fourth in the SEC in solo tackles (5.2 per game)…Recorded four or more tackles in every game…Posted double-digit tackles in three consecutive games vs. LSU (Sept. 11), at Ole Miss (Sept. 18) and at Connecticut (Oct. 2)…Contributed three passes defensed at Arkansas (Oct. 30)…Named team’s Defensive Player of the Week after a nine-tackle performance vs. Tennessee (Nov. 20)…Started 10 games in 2009 and earned the team’s Hustle Award…Finished second on the team with 43 solo tackles and registered 84 stops overall…Posted 10 tackles and forced a fumble vs. Mississippi State (Sept. 19)…Named the team’s Defensive Player of the Week after making 11 stops vs. Kentucky (Nov. 14)…One of just three true freshmen to play for the Commodores in 2008, appearing in 12 games…Named team’s top special teams player for the game vs. Florida (Nov. 😎 and win at Kentucky (Nov. 15)…Recovered a muffed punt for a touchdown in a win over Boston College in the Gaylord Music City Bowl (Dec. 31)…Majored in human organization development...College teammate of Packers CB Casey Hayward...Starred at QB, RB, WR, S and CB for Linden (Ala.) High…Lettered four years in football and basketball and also participated in track for one year…Posted 101 tackles and three interceptions as a senior…Led the basketball team in rebounding…Earned school’s leadership award…First person from Linden High to receive a Division I scholarship…Heavily involved in the community, working at a nursing home in high school and the Murtha O’Bryan Center in Nashville, mentoring youths and volunteering to help at homeless shelters during the holidays…Mother, Sandra, served in the Army and has been a nurse for more than 18 years…Brother, Darnell Jr., plays football at Alabama State…Enjoys playing basketball, spending time with his family and friends, hunting, fishing and riding four-wheelers…Lists his favorite athlete as Kobe Bryant, favorite TV show as Meet the Browns, favorite movie as Life and favorite musical artist as Lil Wayne...Family friends with retired NBA center Theo Ratliff…Single, lives in Linden, Ala. …Given name Seandre Antonio Richardson; born at Fort Campbell in Clarksville, Tenn.

We already have him locked in. I'm guessing the staff feels he may be as good or better than any Safeties in this draft. I can easily see them not taking one this year, even though it is a need position of some sort. To me, that priority is down quite a bit compared to DE, NT, LB, RB, LT and C.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I thought Richardson was shorter. Maybe I'm thinking of Jeremy Ross.

What's Richardson's 40 time?

I think if a S falls to us, Ted will take him, but I wouldn't be sweating it if we stood pat. We got guys to develop and the staff to do so.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
porky88
10 years ago

I like Margus Hunt. However, his height and weight scare me. He definitely is a good player and big guy but I wonder how he would play in the 3-4. I think he would be a phenomenal 4-3 defensive end, but would he be able to play against the run as a 3-4 end? Jenkins is a guy that would fit well on the 3-4...thats a big ole boy.

I actually had Stepfan Taylor in place of Montee Ball. I switched it due to Ball's great pass blocking and catching the ball out of the backfield. I wasn't too sure if Taylor brought that same thing to the table.

I never thought of Brian Schwenke...good choice there!

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

I love Hunt's height and weight. He can bulk up to 300 pounds. That guy is still growing into his body. He reminds me of a poor man's Richard Seymour. Of the defensive lineman, he and Jesse Williams are my favorites. Both would be great choice at No. 26, though Williams has medical concerns. You might be able to get him tomorrow night.

I think Sly Williams is just another body. He may not follow the path of Justin Harrell, but I find him underwhelming.

I don't know how to use Datone Jones. I think he's a bit of a Mike Neal clone, if we're comparing him to current Packers. People like his ability to get bigger, but he relies too much on his quickness. Would that affect his play?

I can’t recall a draft where so many options were on the table. I’m guessing the team prefers to trade down. However, if they can't find the right deal, then I think safety is likely to be the BPA at No. 26.
steveishere
10 years ago
Sylvester Williams is the guy I'm hoping for. I'm not sure he will make it that far though.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Sylvester Williams is the guy I'm hoping for. I'm not sure he will make it that far though.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I read somewhere that he is considered to be a 4-3 lineman. I don't remember where and the so called experts aren't always right. Obviously Ted and his gang will know if he fits or not.

just a fyi if he is there and they don't take him that could be why.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago
I forgot the password to the blog I created the other day, so I created a new one  with my draft board:

Our biggest are of need is defensive line. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that’s the position Ted’s gonna draft. He has a strict Best Player Available policy. However, if a few players are similar, Ted will weight the decision in favor of the position of need. Here are the players I like for the first three rounds, weighed loosely in order of positions of need.

DEFENSE

NT: Star Lotulelei, Jonathan Jenkins, Johnathan Hankins

DT: Sharrif Floyd, Sheldon Richardson, Kawann Short, Bennie Logan, Brandon Williams,

OLB: Dion Jordan, Arthur Brown, Khaseem Greene, Jamie Collins, Sean Porter,
Jamie Collins, Sio Moore,

S: Kenny Vaccaro, Matt Elam, Jonathan Cyprien, D.J. Swearinger, Earl Wolff,

OFFENSE

TE: Tyler Eifert, Zach Ertz, Travis Kelce, Jordan Reed, Vance McDonald,
Nick Kasa, Ryan Otten

RB: Eddie Lacy, Johnathan Franklin, Knile Davis, Stepfan Taylor, Mike Gillislee, Le’Veon Bell. I like Jonathan Franklin the best. (Eddie Lacy will be long gone.)

C: Travis Frederick, David Quessenberry, Barrett Jones,
Brian Schwenke

T: D.J. Fluker,

WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods, Markus Wheaton, Stedman Bailey, Quinton Patton, Ryan Swope, Ted is great at finding WRs in rounds 2-3. We just lost Greg Jennings and Donald Driver, so look for him to nab somebody, even though it’s still not a position of need per se. Especially if a guy with return ability falls to us.

QB: Geno Smith, If Geno Smith falls, take him! Ted could also trade back for more picks, if a team wants to trade back into the first round for him. Otherwise they might grab a developmental project in a late round. They like to have dudes in the pipeline.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.