Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Datone Jones | Defensive End | UCLA | 6'4" - 283 lbs.

Biography
UCLA - Talented player who possesses the ability to be a disruptive force in opposing backfields ... Has played both end and tackle ... Completed his Bruin career with 43 starts, including his final 28 straight games.

2012 - Starter in all 14 games and was selected second-team all-conference by the league coaches ... Ranked fifth on the team in tackles, first among the defensive linemen with 62 stops ... Second on the team with 19.0 tackles for loss, which ranked fifth in the Pac-12 (1.36/g) ... His 6.5 sacks ranked third on the team and 18th in the Pac-12 (0.46/g) ... Blocked two kicks ... Caught a touchdown pass against Houston while playing offense in a short-yardage situation ... Credited with forcing a safety versus Nebraska ... Made six tackles in the opener at Rice, including 2.0 sacks ... Had 3.0 tackles for loss against both Nebraska and Houston ... Made a career-best nine tackles in win at Arizona State ... Had 1.5 tackles for loss at Washington State and blocked a kick ... Registered 2.0 tackles for loss in each contest against Stanford ... Made 1.5 tackles for loss in the Holiday Bowl against Baylor ... Earned the Kenneth S. Washington Award for Outstanding Senior of the Year on Defense and the Captain Don Brown Award for Most Improved Player at the annual team awards banquet ... Named to the Chuck Bednarik Award watch list ... Selected to play in the Senior Bowl collegiate all-star game.

2011 - Started all 14 games ... Topped the team with 6.5 tackles for loss and 3.0 sacks ... Led all linemen with 41 tackles ... Named to Hendricks Award watch list ... Had two tackles at Houston ... Three stops vs. San Jose State ... Notched one tackle for loss against Texas ... Four stops, including one sack, vs. Washington State ... Five tackles, 0.5 for loss, at Arizona ... Matched his career-best with six tackles versus Cal and added a career-high two sacks ... Had three tackles at Utah and vs. Arizona State ... Three stops, 1.0 for loss, vs. Colorado ... Tallied three tackles at USC ... Had six tackles at Oregon, 1.0 for loss ... Two tackles against Illinois.

2010 - Sidelined by a fractured right foot during Fall Camp (Aug. 10) ... Sat out the entire season ... Was listed on the pre-season Watch List for the Hendricks Award.

2009 - Starter in all 13 games ... Third on team with 4.0 sacks and T-22nd in Pac-10 and fourth on team with his 11.0 tackles for loss (12th in Pac-10) ... Earned Sophomore All-America honorable mention from collegefootballnews.com ... Had one tackle assist and broke up two passes against SDSU ... Three stops at Tennessee, 1.0 for loss ... Four tackles, a sack and a second tackle for loss, against Kansas St. ... Credited with three tackles, including a sack on which he forced a fumble at Stanford ... Two tackles, 0.5 for loss, versus Oregon ... Registered two tackle assists, both for loss (1.0 total) against Cal ... Three tackles at Arizona, one for loss ... Forced and recovered a fumble on the first play of the second half ... Three tackles, 0.5 for loss, at Oregon St. ... Two tackles, including a five-yard sack, against Washington ... Three tackles at Washington State, one for loss ... One tackle for loss against Arizona St. ... Credited with three tackles, including a seven-yard sack, in bowl win over Temple.

2008 - Appeared in 10 games with two starts (Cal, Oregon St.) ... Finished with 15 tackles ... Two tackles versus Stanford ... Made first career start at Cal and was credited with six tackles, four solos ... Started against Oregon St. and made four stops ... Had one tackle off bench at Washington ... One tackle against USC ... Named to rivals.com All-Pac-10 Freshman team.

HIGH SCHOOL - Played football for coach Calvin Bryant at Compton (CA) HS ... Ranked No. 15 defensive end nationally by ESPN ... Earned four stars from rivals.com ... Earned four stars from scout.com ... SuperPrep All-American ... Named All-State second team by Cal-Hi Sports ... Long Beach Press-Telegram Dream Team member ... Moore League co-Defensive Player of the Year ... As a senior, he made 91 tackles, seven sacks, two fumble recoveries, nine hurries and three pass deflections ... As a junior, he recorded 60 tackles, including four sacks.

PERSONAL - Full Name: Datone Wayne Jones ... Born: July 24, 1990 in Los Angeles, CA ... Parents: Anthony Jones and Shondra Hall ... Has one brother and four sisters ... Lists former NFL star Michael Strahan as the athlete he admires the most ... His biggest thrill in sports was his first-ever sack in a varsity high school football game... Director's Honor Roll in Winter 2009 and Spring 2009 ... History major.

Career Highs
Tackles: 9 at Arizona State, 2012
Tackles for Loss: 3.0 vs. Houston, 2012; vs. Nebraska, 2012
Sacks - 2.0 at Rice, 2012; vs. Cal, 2011
UserPostedImage
MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

Green Bay --- The Packers needed to get bigger, needed to get stronger on the defensive line. So with the 26th overall pick Thursday night, they went with UCLA defensive end Datone Jones.

JSOnline  wrote:

Laser Gunns
10 years ago

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Since69
10 years ago
I was pulling for Eddie Lacy, bit I like this kid a lot.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago
Cool! Looks like a powerful addition to our DL. One down...
10 years ago
Very happy with this pick
UserPostedImage
shield4life
10 years ago
Quality pick, can even line up as a LB!
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Since69
10 years ago

Datone Jones exploded onto the scene his senior year at UCLA. With 62 total tackles, 5.5 sacks and 19 tackles for loss, Jones stated his case to be a mid-to-late first round draft pick in the NFL draft. The first thing that pops out about Jones is his ability to play different positions on the defensive line. At UCLA he spent time playing defensive tackle at the 3-technique and defensive end at both the 5-technique and 7-technique. He showed the ability to be a disruptive player no matter where he lined up.

When playing the 3-technique, he is able to beat an offensive guard in a number of ways using not only his brute strength, but his speed as well. Jones is able to utilize his speed to his advantage against guards. When the ball is snapped, his initial burst off the line of scrimmage typically gives him the advantage over a guard. He uses his hands and forearms well and often uses a swim move to get penetration. Examples of that that can be seen at the 1:56 mark of this clip and the 1:35 mark of this one. If he doesn't get into the backfield he tends to hold his ground and rarely gets pushed back, so it's rare that he's ever removed entirely from a play.

Coming out of the 5 or 7-technique off the edge Datone is able to utilize an effective bull rush to push back the pocket, but he lacks the advanced pass rushing moves needed to become elite getting to the quarterback. Here is a clip of Eric Fisher just manhandling Datone Jones at the Senior Bowl practices. (To be fair, Fisher dominated almost everyone that week.) Against high-level players like Fisher, it's possible that Jones won't have enough speed to get past them coming off the edge. This could be a problem for Datone in the NFL; since he lacks the quickness when turning the corner, he may have to rely solely on bull rush techniques.

When it comes to defending the run, Datone Jones is very good no matter where he lines up. He has had some consistency problems when it comes to his technique establishing leverage, but more often than not he comes out low and puts the offensive lineman on his heels. He spends a lot of time in the backfield like in the 1:18 mark of the clip above. Datone Jones is an effective, powerful tackler but he sometimes gets penetration and fails to make a tackle, like at the 2:22 mark.

From NFL Draft combine interviews, Jones has said that he wants to be the first person on the practice field and the last one to leave. He proved his work ethic by taking the most reps in the one-on-one drills during the Senior Bowl practice. It's likely that scouts had concerns of his conditioning due to his inconsistency late in some UCLA games, so Jones went out to improve on it and wants to impress scouts.

Jones is probably best suited as a defensive end in the 3-4 defense but in the right system his flexibility to switch between defensive end and defensive tackle would be valuable in a 4-3 defense

source 
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

Nice Zero2Cool. That was quick! I like this pick.

Mortfini
10 years ago
Very happy with this pick just glad we avoided lacy too much wear and tear

Barrett jones in the 2end?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (17h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (18h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.