nerdmann
10 years ago

I actually understand what nerd is trying to say. A lot of people on here complain about not having the correct personnel for a 3-4 defense. Saying that we don't have a prototypical DE for a 3-4. But now the Packers just drafted one, so he's saying that nobody can complain about it anymore.

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

No, I'm saying the Packers staff bitches that they don't have prototypical players for the defense they run. Yet they continue drafting players that do not fit their scheme.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
10 years ago
No matter. Datone Jones is a good pick for the Packers. Just one of the DEs we need. Glad to get one, and in particular Jones.
play2win
10 years ago
He will develop further. Here is one grade from bleacher report:

"Need: A

Value: A-

Fit: A

Great pick for the Packers—if a little bit of a reach. Jones is a tweener and may not have the raw strength often needed from a 3-4 DE, but next to B.J. Raji, he'll be able to move around and rush the passer a little more than a normal end might be able to. This is a great fit at a position of need. Ted Thompson does it again."
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
he was one of my hopefuls. Glad they got him.

Walter says: 

4. Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
Height: 6-4. Weight: 280. Arm: 32 1/8. Hand: 9 3/4.
40 Time: 4.80.
Projected Round (2013): 1-2.

4/24/13: It sounds like Jones stands a good chance of being a late first-round pick. he has generated interest from a lot of 3-4 defenses due to his power and physicality.

Jones had 62 tackles with 5.5 sacks and 19 tackles for a loss in 2012. The senior has a nice mix of speed and strength, but needs to refine his pass-rushing moves. UCLA also played him out of position at defensive tackle.

Jones had a dominant week at the Senior Bowl. He showed that he is dedicated to the weight room and has put in a lot of time in developing a serious NFL body. Following the weigh-in, the powerful defensive end had a superb week of practice. Jones showed off a great skill set with which he can defeat offensive linemen with either strength or agility. Jones has the power to move offensive linemen to the side and the speed to close in a hurry. He won his one-on-one reps using both power and speed.

Jones also had a solid performance at the Combine. There is a debate about his position for the NFL, and many consider him to be a tackle/end tweener. He looks like a perfect fit as an NFL power left defensive end in a 4-3 defense who can move inside on passing downs. Even if Jones is played exclusively on the edge, he has the strength to stuff the run and can contribute as a pass-rusher. He also would fit well as a 3-4 defensive end.

Jones had 6.5 tackles for a loss and three sacks in 2011. He missed all of the 2010 season with a fractured right foot. Jones made 30 tackles, 11 tackles for a loss, two forced fumbles and four sacks in 2009 playing next to Brian Price.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
more walter 

Pass Rush:
NFL prototype: Jared Allen, Vikings

Dion Jordan
Damontre Moore
Tank Carradine
Bjoern Werner
Ezekiel Ansah
Barkevious Mingo
Datone Jones
Margus Hunt

Recap: The NFL is a passing-driven league, and coaches will tell you that an elite pass-rusher off the edge is the most important position on the defensive side of the ball. Unless a team has a defensive tackle like the Bengals' Geno Atkins, it has to have edge-rushers who can consistently pressure the quarterback. This is a quality class of pass-rushers. All eight of the players above have shown the ability to get after the quarterback.

Like Ansah, Jones was misfit playing a lot of defensive tackle, but at the Senior Bowl, Jones showed some impressive edge-rush ability. He had 5.5 sacks in 2012, but put a lot more pressure on the quarterback than the total indicates. Jones isn't a speed-rusher, but he beats linemen with power and physicality.

Run Defense:
NFL prototype: Justin Smith, 49ers

Datone Jones
Ezekiel Ansah
Margus Hunt
Bjoern Werner
Damontre Moore
Dion Jordan
Tank Carradine
Barkevious Mingo

Recap: Defending the run isn't as in demand as it used to be with NFL coaches, but they still watch it closely when evaluating prospects. Jones is a powerful beast at the point of attack. He can hold his ground and stuff runs that come straight at him.

Motor:
NFL prototype: Jared Allen, Vikings

Damontre Moore
Bjoern Werner
Ezekiel Ansah
Dion Jordan
Datone Jones
Tank Carradine
Margus Hunt
Barkevious Mingo

Recap: Prospects who show a lack of effort can get knocked quickly by coaches when they start evaluating players. Coaches have zero patience for players who dog it. Conversely, a great motor will help players who may be short on athletic ability. This draft class has a lot of good motors amongst the early-round prospects.

Moore is utterly relentless. He never quits on plays, even if it is a run or pass play that doesn't go his direction. Werner and Ansah also give great effort. Jordan, Jones, Carradine and Hunt all are high-effort players.

Speed:
NFL prototype: Jason Pierre-Paul, Giants

Barkevious Mingo
Dion Jordan
Ezekiel Ansah
Damontre Moore
Tank Carradine
Bjoern Werner
Margus Hunt
Datone Jones

Recap: Sometimes in the NFL, players who are extremely fast can be difference-makers solely because of their speed. Whichever team drafts Mingo will have to hope that will be the case with him. There is no doubt that he is extremely fast. Mingo's one of the fastest front-seven prospects over the last decade with his speed and explosiveness being similar to Von Miller. However, Miller had an all-around great game while Mingo needs to significantly improve everywhere else.

Jones is not a speed player. He has some quickness and moves well for 6-foot-4, 280-pounder, but he isn't going to provide a speed mismatch against tackles in the NFL. When Jones moves inside to tackle to pass rush against guards, he is faster in that matchup.

Strength:
NFL prototype: Justin Smith, 49ers

Margus Hunt
Datone Jones
Ezekiel Ansah
Bjoern Werner
Tank Carradine
Damontre Moore
Dion Jordan
Barkevious Mingo

Recap: Coaches have told me that the NFL is a big man's game and is trending that way with each passing year. Hunt already has NFL strength at 277 pounds, but he could approach 300 in the NFL. There is huge upside with Hunt to be a powerful defender who beats linemen with bull rushes and the strength to toss blockers aside. He already has a nasty bull rush.

Jones is just a tad behind Hunt. The difference is that Hunt could get bigger while Jones is maxed out. He used the Senior Bowl to show that he has worked hard in the weight room. Jones is a very strong defender at the point of attack. He can push linemen around and use his power to shed blocks.

Versatility:
NFL prototype: Cameron Wake, Dolphins

Ezekiel Ansah
Dion Jordan
Margus Hunt
Datone Jones
Damontre Moore
Tank Carradine
Bjoern Werner
Barkevious Mingo

Recap: Defensive coordinators love versatility. Edge-defenders who drop int coverage and play in space are in demand. Coaches also like ends who can move inside to tackle on passing downs. This class of edge-rushers features a lot of versatility.

Hunt and Jones are versatile as well. Each can play 4-3 end and move inside to tackle on passing downs. Either player's best position in the NFL could be as 3-4 defensive ends.

Upside:
NFL prototype: Jason Pierre-Paul, Giants

Dion Jordan
Ezekiel Ansah
Bjoern Werner
Damontre Moore
Barkevious Mingo
Margus Hunt
Tank Carradine
Datone Jones

Recap: This class of ends has good upside to grow in the NFL. Jordan and Ansah's tremendous skill sets put their best football ahead of them. There is no doubt that both should be better pro players than college performers.

Carradine has some upside, but not as much as the others in this class. Jones could be better in the NFL if he is put in a better role that highlights his strengths.

Forcing Fumbles:
NFL prototype: Charles Johnson, Panthers

Damontre Moore
Barkevious Mingo
Dion Jordan
Bjoern Werner
Datone Jones
Margus Hunt
Ezekiel Ansah
Tank Carradine

Recap: The art of a strip sack is a great equalizer in the NFL. Strip sacks can change games and produce points. Moore is the best at taking the ball away from an offense. He has shown a knack for that over the past three years. Moore's totaled eight forced fumbles over that time, and he wasn't even an every-down player early on. Moore has good instincts to slap the ball out while taking down the quarterback.

Mingo had four forced fumbles during the past two seasons and came close to a few others. Jordan, Werner and Jones all recorded three forced fumbles in their respective collegiate careers. Jordan and Werner should force more as professionals.

I guess Jones will help end the problem GB had with the running games last season.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
10 years ago

Very happy with this pick

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 

Me too. He is durable and never takes a play off.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
porky88
10 years ago
Personally, I think he’s a three technique. I like him there. I usually give Ted Thompson the benefit of the doubt because he's Ted Thompson. However, I didn't like Derek Sherrod or Nick Perry and neither has played well. I'm going to trust my instincts and give the pick thumbs down. I just don't know how to use him in a 3-4 and I thought Margus Hunt was a better prospect. It may be that Jones turns out to be a decent contributor in the sub packages, but I believe Hunt will turn out to be the better 3-4 defensive end.
MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

Green Bay --- Here's what defensive coordinator Dom Capers had to say about Green Bay's first-round pick, Datone Jones:

JSOnline  wrote:

go.pack.go.
10 years ago

No, I'm saying the Packers staff bitches that they don't have prototypical players for the defense they run. Yet they continue drafting players that do not fit their scheme.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I've never heard the Packers staff bitch about not having prototypical players for the defense they run...
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago

more walter 

I guess Jones will help end the problem GB had with the running games last season.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

This is what I question.

At 280, he might help stuff the run in a 4-3, because there's four guys on the line. He's working with 3 others. I think he's a little light to stuff the run in the defense we run, especially the 2-5.

The Packers keep drafting these guys who do not fit the scheme.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (2h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (5h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (6h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (23h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.