Zero2Cool
10 years ago
DL - Mike Neal, B.J. Raji, Datone Jones
LB - Clay Matthews, A.J. Hawk, Desmond Bishop, Nick Perry

That looks like a stout front seven to me, but I think someone said Raji is actually better at DE?
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago
Yeah, this could change with the addition of another top tier NT.

Johnathan Hankins
Jesse Williams
Jonathan Jenkins
Kawann Short
Brandon Williams
Montori Hughes
Bennie Logan
Kwame Geathers

For sheer bulk, there is Brandon Moore, Jose Jose and TJ Barnes, all of whom can be had later or as UFAs. I find Moore intriguing, at 6-5 320. He did some stuff for Texas, wasn't just a big blob.

Some of these guys are better than others. Some great pass rushers with deficiencies in stopping the run (Williams, Short, Hughes). Some the opposite. I know adding one of these, especially a more complete NT would be super helpful to our D. Maybe Ted trades up to nab the best of the bunch, or close to. Wouldn't hurt with Raji coming in out of shape, looking to clean up on a new deal, with no one behind him on our roster. Picking one of these players above could give him something to think about...

Our front seven is already looking better. Let's keep it rollin'! I can see us adding a NT and a OLB tonight.
all_about_da_packers
10 years ago
Stout isn't necessarily the word I'd use. When I think of stout, I think of "Wilson / Raji / Pickett" and their massive bodies.

Neal and Jones are both undersized any way you cut it. With both on the edges, you have much better pass rush options, but I'm definitely worried if Neal and Jones are getting extended playing time in base-packages. Our OLBs (especially Clay) are already dreadful at maintaining gap discipline, and without a beefy front 3 to hold up, a running team (or Vikes with AP) will definitely eat us alive.

I read somewhere (JSOnline?) someone suggesting that a good DE in front of Perry could make Perry look much better than he actually is (I admit I don't think too much of Perry at the moment). If Jones can prove a useful rusher and be the DE in front of Perry, I am excited by the potential of a Neal-Claymaker and Jones-Perry/Moses lineup off the edge. There is definitely some positive stuff to build off of between Neal-Mathews combo that had some success last year.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
steveishere
10 years ago

Stout isn't necessarily the word I'd use. When I think of stout, I think of "Wilson / Raji / Pickett" and their massive bodies.

Neal and Jones are both undersized any way you cut it. With both on the edges, you have much better pass rush options, but I'm definitely worried if Neal and Jones are getting extended playing time in base-packages. Our OLBs (especially Clay) are already dreadful at maintaining gap discipline, and without a beefy front 3 to hold up, a running team (or Vikes with AP) will definitely eat us alive.

I read somewhere (JSOnline?) someone suggesting that a good DE in front of Perry could make Perry look much better than he actually is (I admit I don't think too much of Perry at the moment). If Jones can prove a useful rusher and be the DE in front of Perry, I am excited by the potential of a Neal-Claymaker and Jones-Perry/Moses lineup off the edge. There is definitely some positive stuff to build off of between Neal-Mathews combo that had some success last year.

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

Nobody gets extended playing time in base packages on this team lol. Either way when you are talking an inch of height or 10 lbs here or there it really means nothing compared to simply can the guy play football. If you get guys who can play football it's not gonna matter whether they have 6-10 more lbs or 1-2 more inches of height. It's not like these guys are 220lbs or something ridiculous.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

DL - Mike Neal, B.J. Raji, Datone Jones
LB - Clay Matthews, A.J. Hawk, Desmond Bishop, Nick Perry

That looks like a stout front seven to me, but I think someone said Raji is actually better at DE?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Over the past couple of years I have heard it said that Raji is better at DE and repeated that here.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
10 years ago

Nobody gets extended playing time in base packages on this team lol. Either way when you are talking an inch of height or 10 lbs here or there it really means nothing compared to simply can the guy play football.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Not sure what you mean by "nobody getting extended playing time" because that's not true on some levels. Basic level: Raji and Pickett play extensively in base packages.

Wilson was the 3rd DE, and let us assume he gets injured (which he did for a few weeks last season). Who on the current depth chart replaces Wilson? Neal - the guy who has missed a good chunk of games every season he has been in the league. After that, Mike Daniels - nowhere near the size (it matters!) to play DE.

D. Jones could be looking at playing extended (note: not meaning all the snaps) if things go wrong.

Now why DOES size matter? Because our 3-4 base is predicated on D-linemen eating up blockers. You want to leave the LBs free to go to the ball and make the tackle without meeting resistance (o-linemen) along the way. Jones, at 6'4 - 284 is not going to demand more than 1 blocker. That's a problem you cannot go around.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Not sure what you mean by "nobody getting extended playing time" because that's not true on some levels. Basic level: Raji and Pickett play extensively in base packages.

Wilson was the 3rd DE, and let us assume he gets injured (which he did for a few weeks last season). Who on the current depth chart replaces Wilson? Neal - the guy who has missed a good chunk of games every season he has been in the league. After that, Mike Daniels - nowhere near the size (it matters!) to play DE.

D. Jones could be looking at playing extended (note: not meaning all the snaps) if things go wrong.

Now why DOES size matter? Because our 3-4 base is predicated on D-linemen eating up blockers. You want to leave the LBs free to go to the ball and make the tackle without meeting resistance (o-linemen) along the way. Jones, at 6'4 - 284 is not going to demand more than 1 blocker. That's a problem you cannot go around.

I thought Steve jokingly meant that they are in the various sub packages most of the time instead of their base package.. Therefore no one gets playing time in the base because they are "never" in it. thus his "lol".
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago

If Jones is a good football player it won't matter if he weighs 290 or 300. Teams aren't just going to look at the sizes of the players and go "oh we need to double team that guy cause he's listed as 10lbs heavier" if there's a slightly smaller guy on the line wrecking people. They are going to block the guy who is tearing people up.
all_about_da_packers
10 years ago

If Jones is a good football player it won't matter if he weighs 290 or 300. Teams aren't just going to look at the sizes of the players and go "oh we need to double team that guy cause he's listed as 10lbs heavier" if there's a slightly smaller guy on the line wrecking people. They are going to block the guy who is tearing people up.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Ah, that makes sense.

I don't disagree with you; I would prefer however to have more D-linemen that can be used in our base (more "fat" guys) so that we can limit the snaps of guys that are impact players. In other words, I still think our d-line needs to strengthened to make sure we are not expecting our players (Raji or Jones) to play 90% of the snaps for 16 weeks + playoffs.

From that perspective, I was trying to say our D-line is not really stout now that we have added Jones. I'm excited about the pick, for sure, but more big bodies are need on both lines.
play2win
10 years ago

This is exactly why I feel we need 2 DEs out of this draft. Maybe they add a FA DE after the draft. Still some good vets out there.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (9h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (14h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.