play2win
10 years ago
Ted Thompson traded away our 3rd for a bevy of picks that will allow him to maneuver at will through today's 4th round.

With KC owning the 2nd pick in the round, look for Ted to package a nice group of selections for his old friend John Dorsey to give us 3 picks in the round. KC is a rebuilding team, and I would be shocked, shocked, if Dorsey didn't make a deal with Thompson to help his team rebuild.

With that said, lets suppose Ted also uses more of those picks to move up with his two current R4s to add three very specific players. Here is where our GM can pretty much shop for exactly what he wants in the 4th round:

NT Jesse Williams
C Brian Schwenke
C Barrett Jones
S Phillip Thomas
DE Alex Okafor
LT David Quessenberry

Any 3 of these would make fantastic additions to our team.

Add, there are others available in R4/R5 that could also make big impacts on our roster:

RB Jonathan Franklin
OLB Trevardo Williams
DE William Gholston
OT Xavier Nixon
WR Da'Rick Rogers
DE Quinton Dial
DE Joe Kruger
DE Lavar Edwards
TE Joseph Fauria
OT Chris Faulk
DE Devin Taylor
OLB Ty Powell

There is a lot to like about many in this latter group. A lot! My guess is that Ted Thompson will make us all very happy with what he does here today. I would guess his 10 picks are the most of any team at this point to maneuver around R4 and R5 if he likes. We are going to get some very good players.

Also, who the hell was there to warrant any kind of complaints at #88? The only truly impactful players I see that were taken in R3 were Damontre Moore and Jonathan Jenkins. Both were long gone by our #88. The only player chosen after that point in R3 that I might have wanted was Brandon Williams, a NT from Missouri Southern. He's just a giant of a wide body from a Division II school. There are plenty of those still available.

Ted's trading our #88 away, then again our #93 was brilliant. He'll turn that into just what we were looking for, quality talent at our many positions of need. I truly believe this. Ted Thompson will be dealing heavily today, and he now has the ammo to do so. If he pulls this off, and turns our R3 and R4 selections into three or who knows, maybe four R4s, - and gets the players we NEED to become a better team - I'll be thrilled.

My guess is he lands 3 more top 100 rated players today, making the grand total 5. That is just the kind of impact I was hoping for with this draft. Immediate infusion of high quality talent at 5 positions, and maybe more!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
I don't mind getting a couple of 4th round picks. A few actually develop into quality starters like Sitton did. I object to having 5 picks in the 6-7 rounds. The odds of finding gold in the bottom of the draft, any draft, is pretty remote. Yes it does happen. But then tell me how many Donald Drivers have we landed in the past 20 years? How many in the last 8? GB has had 26 6-7 picks in Uncle Teddy's time. It normally doesn't happen. Other teams know this too. They are not going to beat the door down looking to give up a potentially quality pick for the bottom of the draft scraps even in a deep draft.

It don't mind acquiring a few lower level picks with draft trades. The first trade with SF was fine. The second time was questionable. the third trade with Miami just plain ridiculous. I would rather get one starter or rotational player in the 3rd round that 2 long shots in the 6-7.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago
wpr,

He's not going to take players with those late selections. He's going to use them in trade to add a 3rd R4. Period. If he doesn't, I'll personally buy you a case of your favorite beer...
PackFanWithTwins
10 years ago
Why I don't like trading back this year. Even if he moves up in the 4th. Because the chance to improve the quality of players added, would be better had we kept our 3rd and used it with out remaining tradeable picks and come away with 2 3rds. I would take 2 3rds and a 5th, over 3 or 4 4ths and a 5th.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Why I don't like trading back this year. Even if he moves up in the 4th. Because the chance to improve the quality of players added, would be better had we kept our 3rd and used it with out remaining tradeable picks and come away with 2 3rds. I would take 2 3rds and a 5th, over 3 or 4 4ths and a 5th.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

my confidence level is at zero right now. It is as if my younger brother just smashed my only Christmas present and Mom and dad can't buy me another one.

The case of beer is easy. I don't drink. Least not yet. [aiee]
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
warhawk
10 years ago
I will say again that I would rather Ted have 10 picks that will allow him to move up multiple time than to have end of round picks the rest of the way out.

I can't remember a draft where a team was sitting like the Packers where they have a way better chance to make today meaningful in landing good players.

Turn the tv on when it starts. Ted's not waiting long to pounce.
"The train is leaving the station."
play2win
10 years ago

my confidence level is at zero right now. It is as if my younger brother just smashed my only Christmas present and Mom and dad can't buy me another one.

The case of beer is easy. I don't drink. Least not yet. [aiee]

Originally Posted by: wpr 

OK then. Um, let's say a decent lunch... $25. I'll send it to you if we don't get three R4s today.
10 years ago
Ehehe! Never try to guess what's behind those staring eyes...

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

play2win
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

And take who? At #88?

Maybe they discerned the level of talent, the "quality of players added" was something they deemed negligible at this point between, let's say, the next 60 picks.

The only way we would have gotten two R3s was to trade up. Without the trades made at #88 and #93, we wouldn't have had the goods to trade up in R3 - not for two of them.

By stockpiling 10 selections in the next 4 rounds, Ted has given us a chance to add a third R4, and maybe more. If they see little change in the quality of the last 10-15 players, from #88 on, then what is the harm in being able to add another quality player?

If Ted trades back up into the top of R4 at #99 with KC or #100 with OAK, he could come away with two players that were projected maybe top 50! Just for that one choice that he turned into many...

We could venture to say, Ted could trade up with BOTH KC and OAK, to get 2 of the top 3 picks in the round, and still have another R4 left over, or possibly enough ammo to trade back into the bottom of R4 for another... and still have the R5 comp pick.

I would gladly take 4 quality, targeted players over 3 (2 really, because I do not see how he could have possibly managed two R3s - not without trading away from next year. BTW the numbers you propose just don't really add up. Let's just call it 3 quality players vs. 2 in rounds 3-4). It is precisely what we need. Both need and opportunity drove both R3 trades, and I anticipate they will result in more, trades moving us up to those players we wish to have out of this draft at exceptional value.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (14h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (15h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (21h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (21h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (21h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (21h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (22h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (22h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.