Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Micah Hyde | Free Safety | Iowa | 6'0" - 197 lbs.

STRENGTHS - Smooth and fluid athletically, Hyde is able to flip hips and change directions easily out in space to adjust to receiver. At his best playing off the receiver where he can read the QB/Pass and close on ball to try and make a play. When he is in good coverage position as ball arrives he has the long arms and ball skills to make a play on the ball. With his height, long arms and athleticism he does a good job of covering possession type receivers in man coverage. He is willing to get hands on WR during route and knows how to use body to cut-off and shield WR from ball. Having played cornerback at Iowa, Hyde's experience lining up as an outside cornerback and slot cornerback gives him the versatility to come down from safety alignment to cover receivers and tight ends in different defensive packages.

WEAKNESSES - Hype is a "tweener" as he has the natural feel for coverage and ball skills of a cornerback, but lacks the playing speed to stay with receiver on deep route and does not have the burst to catch up when he allows separation. However, he is not a physical hitter/tackler and seems content to sit back and allow teammates to make the tackle, which is a major issue when you are the back stop of the defense. While he is no doubt versatile due to his experience playing cornerback, he will need time to adjust and develop playing safety.

SUMMARY - Hyde has been a productive starting cornerback since he arrived at Iowa, but lacks the physical tools to carry over his production to the NFL level. He is a good kid with excellent character who will be willing to switch to safety if that is what it takes for him to stick in the NFL (Do not worry about the incident that happened in 2012 as sources have told us he is a top character kid with no off-field concerns). Overall, I do not believe that Hyde can be a productive starter in the NFL because he is a "tweener" who has not proven he can be the strong and physical tackler needed to be effective playing safety. With his versatility he has the tools to stick as a backup safety and backup cornerback, but to do so he would need to step up and play more physical on special teams that he has shown a desire to on defense. Hyde would be a good free agent signing because of his versatility, intelligence and character, but could be picked in the late rounds by a team.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago
FS
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
SINCITYCHEEZE
10 years ago
Packers.com has him listed as a Free Safety.

Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Laser Gunns
10 years ago
Not Really a position of need, maybe they are looking to move someone to safety.

Edit: you guys are fast [palm]

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
macbob
10 years ago
CB in college, likely to be a FS, potentially KR/PR on ST:

04/24/2013 - 2013 NFL DRAFT RANG'S GANG: CB: Micah Hyde, Iowa, 6-0, 197, 4.52...Perhaps because Iowa finished just 4-8 last season, Hyde hasn't received the NFL draft buzz he deserves. Awarded the Tatum-Woodson Defensive Back of the Year in the Big Ten and honored as a co-MVP for the Hawkeyes, one can't characterize Hyde as underrated, but in proving more than respectable speed at his size at the combine, he silenced critics who questioned whether he had the athleticism to remain outside in the NFL. In reality, if a team moves him to safety at the next level, it will only be to take better advantage of his instincts and reliable tackling. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Overview

Hyde set numerous high school records as a quarterback and defensive back in Ohio and grew up a Buckeyes' fan. However, he didn't receive much attention from Ohio State or other Big Ten schools, except Iowa.

Shortly after arriving in Iowa City, Hyde moved full-time to the secondary and proved to be a special team' ace as a true freshman. After starting 13 games at cornerback in 2010, he moved to free safety in 2011 for a few starts before kicking back out to cornerback for the final 11 contests. Hyde stayed at cornerback for his senior season and finished among the league leaders in passes defended with 15.

Although he looks more like a safety at 6-1, 190, he is expected to stay at cornerback for the next level due to his natural instincts and football smarts, but also has the versatility to move to free safety if needed. Under the watch of head coach Kirk Ferentz, Iowa has been well-known for producing offensive linemen to the next level, but over the past five years, the Hawkeyes have sent more defensive backs to the NFL.

Awarded the Tatum-Woodson Defensive Back of the Year in the Big Ten and honored as a co-MVP for the Hawkeyes, one can't characterize Hyde as underrated, but in proving more than respectable speed at his size at the combine, he silenced critics who questioned whether he had the athleticism to remain outside in the NFL. In reality, if a team moves him to safety at the next level, it will only be to take better advantage of his instincts and reliable tackling.

Analysis

STRENGTHS: Willing, disciplined tackler and does a nice job in the open field with good strength for the position. Reliable in one-on-one tackle situations and drives on the ball with a physical nature, fighting off blocks to be a factor. Always plays alert with top-shelf instincts and football smarts.

Understands body positioning and timing in coverage, battling for the ball and making it tough for receivers to finish. Natural ballskills and reads the quarterback well to make plays on the ball. Good experience on special teams, including as a return man. Versatile experience with time at safety and cornerback.

WEAKNESSES: Not a quick-twitch athlete and lacks the hip flexibility ideal for the position. Doesn't have great top-end speed and will struggle to stick with receivers vertically. Shows some tweener traits and will be viewed as a cornerback for some and safety for others.

Rises out of his stance and opens his frame too early. Needs work with his backpedal and room to improve his transitional technique. Has some character concerns after an arrest Oct. 13, 2012 at 3 a.m. for public intoxication.

NFLDRAFTSCOUT.com wrote:

UserPostedImage
SINCITYCHEEZE
10 years ago

Not Really a position of need, maybe they are looking to move someone to safety.

Edit: you guys are fast [palm]

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar 

Faster than B.J. Raji at a Vegas Buffet

Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
10 years ago
If he is going to play kind of a cross player.. I wonder if this might be a challenge to Bush for a roster spot?
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
nerdmann
10 years ago
"Ball skills."

That means that, unlike Jarrett Bush and Pat Lee, dude can make a play on the ball when it's in the air. He can adjust to it.

Sounds like he's a little stiff in the hips. Not good for a CB, but should be fine at FS. Maybe try yoga. 4.5 is good enough speed. That's what Greg Jennings ran.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Wasn't my favorite, but not a bad pick for the spot.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
play2win
10 years ago
Yeah, NFL Network was all over his ball skills, and his ability to play both S and CB, as well as PR/KR. Sounds like a really good pick for the Packers.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.