MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago
Charles Johnson | Wide Receiver | Eastern Kentucky | 6'2" - 215 lbs.

2011: D2Football.com Honorable Mention All-American...Don Hansen's Super Region 3 third-team...First-Team All-GLIAC...GVSU Offensive Skill Player of the Year...Caught 56 passes for 1,030 yards and 15 TDs...1,030 yards ranks fifth all-time for a single-season at GVSU, while his 15 TD catches is fourth...His 93.6 yards per game receiving was third in the GLIAC and 17th nationally...Ranked 10th in the GLIAC in receptions per game (5.09)...Averaged 18.4 yards per catch...Caught a TD pass in 9-of-11 games...Broke the 100-yard receiving mark five times...Caught six passes for 161 yards and one TD at Hillsdale (9/10), including a long TD reception of 71 yards...Hauled in eight passes for 158 yards and two TDs at Northern Michigan (10/8)...Recorded six receptions for 144 yards and two TDs vs. Ferris State (10/22)...Pulled down five receptions for 103 yards and three TDs at Northwood (11/5).

2010: Redshirted.

Prior to GVSU: Spent one year at Eastern Kentucky University, where he appeared in 11 games and caught three passes for 63 yards...Caught 24 passes for 231 yards and three TDs in one season at Antelope Valley C.C.

High School: Prepped at Lloyd Memorial High School in Elsmere, Kentucky...Caught 38 passes for 567 yards and five touchdowns as a senior...Hauled in 26 catches for 600 yards and six touchdowns as a junior...Earned all-state and all-conference honors as a junior and senior.

Personal: Son of Fred and Lisa Johnson...Biology major.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago
He's got great measurables.  

Small school AA guy.

Doesn't sound like a scrub. Probably real raw. Has an "innocent boy next door" look in all his photos.

UserPostedImage
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
10 years ago

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
JustinAVA182
10 years ago
@TyDunne: #Packers do add a wide receiver. First pick in the seventh round is WR Charles Johnson from Grand Valley St. Had 2,229 yards, 31 TD in 2 yr
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – Charles Johnson has no idea what will happen in the NFL draft, but the former Grand Valley State receiver does have high hopes.

And his expectations have grown during the past month.

Johnson, whose guarantee of a sub-4.4 time in the 40 at his pro day March 12 turned heads when he ran a 4.35, predicts he could go as high as the third round.

“It’s looking like third round, or a middle rounder,” he said. “There seem to be a lot of teams interested, so we have a feeling someone is going to pick me in the third round.”

That would have him celebrating at home with friends and family in Elsmere, KY, on Friday.

The draft begins with the first round at 8 p.m. Thursday, April 25. The second and third rounds are 6:30 p.m. on Friday, April 26, with rounds 4-7 at noon Saturday, April 27.

Last month, Johnson was seen as a late-round pick or free agent following two impressive seasons at Grand Valley. He caught 72 passes for 1,199 yards and 16 touchdowns last season, while, as a junior, he had 56 receptions for 1,030 yards and 15 touchdowns.

Good numbers, but nothing off the charts for an NCAA Division II player. But Johnson impressed at his pro day. He ran a 4.35 and 4.38 in the 40, and also jumped 39 1/2 inches in the vertical leap, 11-foot-1 in the broad jump and had 14 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. He also checked in, officially, at 6-foot-2 and 215 pounds.

Where could he land?

Johnson has no idea after a month of travel. He visited teams in Dallas, New Orleans, Green Bay, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Arizona, Cincinnati and New York (Jets). He worked out for the Patriots (March 19), Colts (April 5) and Browns (April 12).

“I got asked that all the time by my agent after each visit,” said Johnson, who is represented by Doug Domann from Domann and Pittman. “I always say the last team I visited because I really have no clue.

“I would like to think they all like me since they showed an interest and worked me out and brought me in, but, you never know. It’s a business, so it’s just who likes me the most and who needs me the most. I’ll just wait and see.”

For the record, the last team he visited was the New York Jets on April 17.

Johnson said if he was bypassed and not drafted, he would channel disappointment into determination.

“I thought there were a lot of things I should have had,” he said, which included an invitation to the NFL combine and college all-star games. “It would be just a bigger thing to motivate me, and put a bigger chip on my shoulder. If I get picked in the seventh round, or I’m a free agent, I’ll still get an opportunity to compete and take somebody’s position.”

Johnson looks to become the latest Grand Valley State alum to make it to the NFL. Last year, the Lakers were represented in the league by offensive tackle Cameron Bradfield with Jacksonville (FA, 2011), center Nick McDonald with New England (FA, 2010), linebacker Dan Skuta with Cincinnati (FA, 2009) and cornerback Brandon Carr with Dallas (5th round, Kansas City, 2005). Skuta signed with San Francisco in the off-season.

http://www.mlive.com/lakers/index.ssf/2013/04/nfl_draft_charles_johnson_from.html 

Holy Crap!!! That is one gifted WR if he can run crisp routes and catch...
nerdmann
10 years ago
Another article with multiple quotes about him. 

“Built a lot like Julio Jones and Dez Bryant.”

Super raw small school project. Developmental guy who won't clear to the PS.

"Johnson, who notched 31 touchdown passes at Grand Valley State over the past two seasons, is a very good athlete, having posted a 39 1/2-inch vertical jump and 11-1 broad jump at his pro day (along with 4.38 and 4.39 40s), and he has excellent hands. You could say, "Well, he didn't face great competition," given that he played at a Division II school, but it's worth remembering that Pierre Garcon, now a standout receiver for the Washington Redskins, went to Division III Mount Union. Three teams (the Colts, Cleveland Browns and New England Patriots) were in to watch him work out, and he had several visits set. He did have to transfer from Eastern Kentucky, but he is not a character problem."

Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
Really interesting pick. Seems to have some real speed even with his size.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
play2win
10 years ago
The kid can catch! Wow. This looks like a real steal, reminiscent of Donald Driver, but bigger and faster.

Wow.
Since69
10 years ago
OK... What's wrong with him? How did a guy with 4.35 speed, good hands and 31 touchdowns over the last two seasons slip into the 7th round?
UserPostedImage
10 years ago
Very intriguing pick =d>
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.