Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Sam Barrington | Outside Linebacker | South Florida | 6'1" - 235 lbs.

2012: Started 11 games at linebacker, missing the UConn game ... earned second-team All-BIG EAST honors ... was selected to play in the East-West Shrine game ... posted 80 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 6.5 TFL, three PBU and two forced fumbles ... recorded at least seven tackles in eight of his 11 games ... his 7.3 tackles per game ranked eighth in the BIG EAST ... the 80 tackles were a career high and ranked second on the team ... tallied four tackles, a sack and two TFL in the season opener versus Chattanooga ... notched eight tackles, two forced fumbles and a PBU at Nevada ... posted nine tackles and a TFL versus Rutgers ... added six tackles and a PBU at Ball St. ... tallied five tackles and a PBU against Florida St. ... recorded eight tackles at Temple ... posted 10 tackles and a half TFL at Louisville ... added eight tackles versus Syracuse ... notched seven tackles and a half sack at Miami ... tallied eight tackles and a half TFL at Cincinnati ... recorded seven tackles and two sacks in his final game against Pitt.

2011: Started all 12 games at linebacker ... finished third on the team in tackles with 72 and added 2.5 sacks, 6.5 TFL, two PBU, an INT and a forced fumble ... posted nine tackles at Notre Dame ... collected seven tackles against Ball State ... registered three tackles against FAMU ... returned his first career INT 30 yards for a TD against UTEP ... established a career-high with nine tackles and a pressure at Pitt ... posted six tackles, 1.5 sacks and a PBU at UConn ... registered six tackles, a TFL and a pressure against Cincinnati ... tied career-high with nine tackles and set a career high with two TFL, including a sack, at Rutgers ... posted six tackles and a pressure at Syracuse ... added five tackles and a TFL versus Miami ... notched six tackles against Louisville ... tallied five tackles, a PBU and a forced fumble versus West Virginia.

2010: Appeared in 13 games, starting 11, at linebacker ... finished third on the team in tackles with 65 to go along with a half sack, 6.5 TFL, a pressure, two forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and three PBU ... tallied eight tackles at Florida ... posted a team-high six tackles and a half TFL versus WKU ... notched eight tackles, 1.5 TFL, a pressure and a forced fumble against FAU ... added seven tackles and a PBU versus Syracuse ... posted three tackles at WVU ... tallied a career-high nine tackles and a forced fumble at Cincinnati ... posted five tackles and a TFL against Rutgers ... added three tackles at Louisville ... notched two tackles and a TFL versus Pitt ... tallied six tackles, a TFL and a PBU at Miami... recorded three tackles and recovered a fumble against Connecticut ... notched four tackles, a half sack, 1.5 TFL and a PBU in the Meineke Car Care Bowl victory over Clemson.

2009: Appeared in 13 games, starting one, at linebacker as a true freshman ... named to All-BIG EAST Freshman Team by ESPN.com ... racked up 41 tackles, two TFL and a PBU ... opened the season with three tackles against Wofford ... added five stops against Charleston Southern ... notched four tackles at Florida State ... notched five tackles and a half TFL at Pitt ... added three tackles and a half TFL at Rutgers ... tallied six tackles and a half TFL against Miami ... posted a season-high seven tackles and a half TFL against UConn ... added three tackles in the International Bowl win over Northern Illinois.

TERRY PARKER HIGH SCHOOL: Named a three-star prospect at linebacker ... rated 37th best prospect among inside linebackers by Rivals.com ... ranked 65th best prospect in Rivals.com Florida Preseason Top 100 list ... rated 18th best prospect at middle linebacker by Rivals.com ... ranked 47th best prospect at outside linebacker according to ESPN ... started all four years and played on both sides of the ball at Terry Parker High School ... logged 1,188 yards rushing and 17 touchdowns on 108 carries as a senior ... selected to play in the 2008 Florida All-Star game ... also added more than 109 tackles, five sacks, one interception, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and six pass break-ups while playing multiple linebacker positions ... recorded 104 tackles, including 74 solo stops, three sacks and three forced fumbles during his junior season ... chose USF over Miami, Purdue and Illinois, among others.

PERSONAL: Son of Paris Johnson and Samuel Barrington ... graduated in December 2012 with a degree in interdisciplinary social science.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago
Sam Barrington is probably the last Bull in this year's senior class with a realistic shot of getting drafted. Most mock drafts that I've seen don't have Sam getting picked, but he's generally regarded as a late-round prospect who might sneak his way onto the board.

Here are Sam's measurables:

Position: Linebacker
Height/Weight: 6'1", 246 lbs.
40 Time: 4.91 at the combine, 4.69 at USF's pro day. Noticing a trend here?
Stats: Started 36 games over four seasons, including all but two games the last three seasons. 80 tackles, 6.5 TFL and 3.5 sacks in 2012, all career highs.

I think USF fans may have been a little spoiled when it came to Sam. The Bulls have had some big-time players at linebacker in their short history (Kawika Mitchell, Stephen Nicholas, Ben Moffitt, Tyrone McKenzie, Jacquian Williams, etc.), so when Jim Leavitt called Sam, then a three-star freshman, the best linebacker he'd ever seen, everyone had pretty high expectations for him.

Sam was certainly not the best linebacker in USF history, but he had a very productive career. He got on the field as a true freshman and grabbed the full-time starting role as a sophomore. He was versatile, bouncing between inside and outside linebacker at Skip Holtz's whim, but no matter where he was on the field he was always a leader on the Bulls' defense.

Sam had a knack for the big play (off the top of my head I can remember his forced fumble at the goal line against Nevada, his pick six to put away to UTEP game, and his forced fumble against West Virginia that almost won us the game. Man, we didn't win many games the last couple seasons, did we?) because he was built for it. He's an athletic, instinctive player who can just as easily cause havoc in the backfield as he can drop into coverage. He was a little small over his USF career, listed at 230 pounds, but he weighed in at 246 at the combine, which is certainly a good sign.

But I can't say he was always productive, because he wasn't. Sam can disappear for large chunks of games, and for all his talent, never really turned into the tackling machine that he could have been. When you heard Sam's name mentioned, it was usually a good sign-but you could go a whole game without hearing his name.

For what it's worth, Sam was also plagued by minor violations and suspensions throughout his career. Usually nothing more serious than driving-with-an-expired-license level, but it happened multiple times and caused him to miss multiple games. It's not a huge deal, but it's not something Bulls fans liked to see out of their senior leader in a season where they really needed any playmaker they had on the field.

I personally don't see Sam getting drafted, and I don't think most "experts" do either. But there are much worse players to take a late-round flyer on than Sam Barrington. He's an athlete and a playmaker who's seen substantial action at both linebacker positions. Most players with his kind of talent haven't put up his kind of numbers, and the few that have probably won't be available, as he will be, in the late rounds.
http://www.voodoofive.com/2013/4/25/4265040/2013-nfl-draft-player-preview-usf-lb-sam-barrington 

Hmmm. This kid is intriguing. We've made worse last picks.
nerdmann
10 years ago

Barrington, Sam OLB 6'1" 246 South Florida

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Here he's listed as ILB: 

He does not have the speed to stay with TEs in man coverage, and in transition shows limited change of direction ability and cannot accelerate effectively to close once beaten off the break. His poor speed and explosion also limits his effectiveness on outside run plays, thus he will likely be limited to playing ILB for a 30 front at the next level.

Another LB who can't cover. meh

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
Well maybe he will make the team and learn what it is like in GB in December and January.
UserPostedImage
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago
Solid player. Don't look into those 40 times. They don't mean anything. It looks like he has plenty of speed on the field. Good pick for our last of the draft.

play2win
10 years ago
Wow! Even this kid has all the stuff we've been looking for on defense. Size, speed, instincts and incredible tackling ability.

Honestly, the players we've added look to be of another level of talent altogether than many we have drafted previously. As a collective group, both drafted players and UDFAs, this 2013 class stands out in every aspect of the game at their respective positions. I am really impressed by the depth of Ted Thompson's scouting. His department really went all out this year.

The level of play is different in the NFL, and a lot of these players are from smaller schools, but I could easily see a player like Sam Barrington making a regular starter expendable. This from the 7th Round... Our camp battles are going to be insane this year, and many vets will have to fight hard to keep their positions on this Packers team.
Pack93z
10 years ago
What needs to be mentioned and highlighted.. is that these are "highlight" tapes of all these prospects.. you are only seeing a slight glimpse of their overall game. It is how they play over the term that really matters.. I could put together a highlight tape to make say Colledge look like a pro bowl guard.. but that would be ignoring the other 99 % of his game.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago

What needs to be mentioned and highlighted.. is that these are "highlight" tapes of all these prospects.. you are only seeing a slight glimpse of their overall game. It is how they play over the term.. I could put together a highlight tape to make say Colledge look like a pro bowl guard.. but that would be ignoring the other 99 % of his game.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I agree but really it's all that we've got to look forward too. If you think about it every player even in the NFL is the same way. You can look at all their highlights of their domination but if you really look at a player for a full game they're not always dominate for a full 60 mins.

I'll say this I've watched some of the best players in this draft like full game highlights against schools and sometimes I'm like, is he really a 1st rounder? Datone Jones sometimes didn't flash off the screen to me but when he was on his game he was.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

What needs to be mentioned and highlighted.. is that these are "highlight" tapes of all these prospects.. you are only seeing a slight glimpse of their overall game. It is how they play over the term.. I could put together a highlight tape to make say Colledge look like a pro bowl guard.. but that would be ignoring the other 99 % of his game.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

in other words ...
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago

Wow! Even this kid has all the stuff we've been looking for on defense. Size, speed, instincts and incredible tackling ability.

Honestly, the players we've added look to be of another level of talent altogether than many we have drafted previously. As a collective group, both drafted players and UDFAs, this 2013 class stands out in every aspect of the game at their respective positions. I am really impressed by the depth of Ted Thompson's scouting. His department really went all out this year.

The level of play is different in the NFL, and a lot of these players are from smaller schools, but I could easily see a player like Sam Barrington making a regular starter expendable. This from the 7th Round... Our camp battles are going to be insane this year, and many vets will have to fight hard to keep their positions on this Packers team.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I had this guy marked as too slow. If he can cover then he has a chance to make the team.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.