Pack93z
10 years ago

Josh. Sitton. All Pro.
Brian Bulaga. All- Rookie team
Don Barclay, UDFA. Competent fill in starter for a short term stint.
To name a few.

Our starters in the 49er game were 5th rd, 4th rd, UDFA, 4th rd, UDFA. Not exactly star material.
The 49ers were 1st rd, 1st rd, 5th rd, UDFA, 1st rd. Which looks better?

Yes, our line play could be improved. So could our dline, LB, RB, TE, DB, etc. It is not accurate to say he fails to develop prospects. He does. Josh Sitton did not become an All Pro by ignoring all coaching.

Before you get too down on Campen, come out of the snow bank and look at the Bears. Now their line sucks and has for years.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

1 out of 12 drafted isn't bad I guess.. but then of course looking just at one single player does not make a unit either.

So lets look at those stats.. (now some of that is also related to play calling as well)

2012 51 sacks allowed, 31st in the league. - Bear 44 25th
2011 41 sacks allowed 21st in the league - Bears 49 27th
2010 38 sacks allowed 19th in the league - Bears 56 32nd
2009 51 sacks allowed 32nd in the league - Bears 35 19th

I am pretty damn sure that is failing to develop a good unit ... about par with the Bears and I am pretty damn sure they shit canned a coach or two in that tenure.

13 lineman drafted in his tenure.. 1 Pro Bowl appearance.. I will stick by my statement. That goodness Rodgers is durable and can throw on the run... unlike Cutler.  Lineman.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
macbob
10 years ago

Campen seriously must be one hell of a guy or something, because time after time they give him more rope and talent to waste.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

or a guy with a hell of some seriously embarrassing photos of Mike McCarthy & TT... :-"
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago

RG - Josh Sittion was considered the Packers best OL. RT - Bryan Bulaga was considered the Packers second best OL. I know! Let's switch them!!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

But isn't the left side considered the more important than the right side? If so doesn't it make sense to put your best linemen on that side? Especially since they are going with the guys they have. They didn't draft a stud left tackle and they apparently are not going to sign one in free agency so if you want your best guys protecting your QB then you make the switch. You can argue about the wisdom, or lack thereof, of not drafting or signing players but in the long run that is irrelevant to the switch. Well, its not irrelevant, its the reason for the switch but what I mean is if you aren't going to bring in guys to make your line better you move your better guys to the most important positions. Hopefully the result is a better offensive line.

They have an entire off season to work it out. Somehow I think that if Bulaga and Sitton can make the change they will be fine. What I mean by that is if they have the physical and mental ability to make the switch (Bulaga played LT in college right?) I don't think time will be an issue. The biggest downside will be if they can not make the change, then they may switch them back and disrupt the entire thing again when they won't have the time to adjust to it.

I honestly don't think this is nearly as big of a deal as a lot of you are making it out to be unless you want to go back to the issue of failing to address the issue in the draft or FA. But again, I think that it is a totally different argument even though one may have been the direct result of the other.
beast
10 years ago

I find this very interesting, putting the Packers best two OL on the left side.

The three guys I'm finding most interesting right now are Sherrod, Barclay and Lang.

Mike McCarthy has said Sherrod had another surgery and seems totally different (in a good way) which made it sound like a very good sign that he's coming back. It would be nice to get good 1st round OT play out of both OT positions.

Barclay didn't look good enough in pass protection last year (when he didn't have help) but he was a rookie and could grow and become good enough to maybe compare at RT. And he was the best run blocker last year IMO (Bulaga was out... and Sitton seemed to be banged up and not playing at 100%, those two could be the best run blockers if they're 100% healthy). But if Newhouse and/or Sherrod are able to lock up RT, I think Barclay should get a long hard look at RG.

As I just said, I think Barclay should get a long hard look at RG, if RT get locked up by someone else, which I thought might put Lang out, but Mike McCarthy said something interesting in his post draft press conference.
Mike McCarthy said Lang can play Center. Which might make it very interesting if Barclay wins RG, does Lang then compete at Center?

I think this would make a very interesting/good Starting OL

LT: Bulaga
LG: Sitton
OC: Lang or Dietrich-Smith
RG: Barclay
RT: Newhouse or Sherrod

I don't know if Lang can play Center and snap well and all that stuff but Mike McCarthy said he can play Center and he should know.

Lang has been very mobile and I LOVE watching him go to the second level to take out a LB because he's very good at it and it's like watching a FB go get a LB more than watching a OL go get a LB... Lang just seems much better at it than most OL.

But Lang isn't the best in power blocking... but that's the strength of Sitton and Barclay... and with both of them right next to him the mixture could be a great fit for the team. As they have a guy that can move up field or pull with the best of them and two very good power run blockers on each side.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
I don't mind the move. A little surprised. The big concern for me is that I think this really means Sherrod is not coming back despite the spin Mike & Co are giving us. Barclay is the new starting RT.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

I don't mind the move. A little surprised. The big concern for me is that I think this really means Sherrod is not coming back despite the spin Mike & Co are giving us. Barclay is the new starting RT.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I'm trying to think positive about it ... and the only positive I can come up with is ... perhaps Coach Mike is settling on a OL very early ... which I feel would be freaking swell.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

I'm trying to think positive about it ... and the only positive I can come up with is ... perhaps Coach Mike is settling on a OL very early ... which I feel would be freaking swell.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I would like to think positive but after so many times of under reporting the real nature of injuries I don't believe them.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
My only hope for Sherrod is the bit McCarthy said a week ago when he said he was progressing and was expecting him to contribute. That's more info than we got all of last season on the guy (Ok, bit of an exaggeration). If it comes down to Barclay vs Newhouse for RT, then Barclay's taking it.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
nerdmann
10 years ago

I would like to think positive but after so many times of under reporting the real nature of injuries I don't believe them.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I agree with wpr on this.

However, it doesn't mean Sherrod will never be back. Didn't Flanagan need a couple years away? But I think it DEFINITELY means he's not where they want him to be. Good thing we have Bulaga. He's played LT before.

As for RT, I think Newhouse is the logical choice. He struggled at times at LT, but I think he'll be fine on the RT. You're not going up against the defense's best pass rusher on the RT. He'll have to beat out Barclay, Datko and the rookies though.

If Lang can play C, so much the better. I know the Packers love versatility on the line. I think there's gonna be competition there though. Which will be good.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
10 years ago
Sherrod just isn't in a position where they can go into the offseason expecting him to make a major contribution. He hasn't even had a single offseason in his career and he's still rehabbing from a brutal injury. As far as decision making goes you cannot really expect anything from him at this point but just hope for the best.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (2h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (4h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (5h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (23h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.