greengold
10 years ago

The percent of first and even 2nd round busts is a fraction of the number of 6th and 7th round picks that fail to make a significant contribution.
So is your argument really sign low round picks because when they fail they won't take up very much cap space?

Originally Posted by: wpr 

That's not what I'm saying at all. All I'm saying is that late round picks aren't as worthless as some make them out to be. And you get extra late round picks by trading back just a few spots in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounds.

I'm not even sure what the original point was. I think someone was ragging on Ted Thompson for having so many late round picks. He has gone the opposite way before, traded away late picks to move up a few spots to grab an impact player. Isn't that how they got Clay Matthews III?

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

It's been a whole 2 seasons since they won the Superbowl. That's not exactly failing. Sometimes shit just doesn't go your way. This is consistently one of the top teams in the league. That's really all you can ask for. There's a hell of a lot more that goes into winning the Superbowl than how many high round picks are on your team.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

When I read the thread title, this is the first thing that popped into my head also - that and the idea that there are a whole array of reasons for the playoff losses, not the least of which is other teams playing really really good - Kaepernick, etc. I would also suggest injuries have something to do with the way things have gone, although the Super Bowl win was the worst of all in that way.

If Thompson was a little bit more hung up on his tendency to trade down and add 6th and 7th round picks, I'd maybe be upset about it too, but he has occasionally traded up or traded down to other rounds, etc. On a case by case basis, it's hard to argue a pattern of badness. The decision apparently either was triggered by not having an obvious pick on the board at the time or having somebody give him a deal to good to refuse.

The better question maybe would be, is Thompson's percentage of hits v. misses in the 6th and 7th better or worse than the league in general. My gut feeling is better.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
10 years ago

You really think the Packers could match the 49ers regardless of that punt turnover?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

The muffed punt was a backbreaker.

I do not fear the 49ers. Are they for real? I believe so. But so are we.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
10 years ago

It's been a whole 2 seasons since they won the Superbowl. That's not exactly failing. Sometimes shit just doesn't go your way. This is consistently one of the top teams in the league. That's really all you can ask for. There's a hell of a lot more that goes into winning the Superbowl than how many high round picks are on your team.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Keep in mind also that we had some key injuries last year. 2013 is an odd numbered year, so with any luck the pattern will hold, and we'll stay relatively healthy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
OlHoss1884
10 years ago
Ultimately, most draft picks turn out to be "busts" as the average career is 3.5 years. The teams that draft the best will manage 3 or 4 picks per draft which turn into starters/regulars, which the Packers have done consistently for a decade. Compare that to their divisional opponents. Where someone is drafted can create different levels of expectations, but for all rookies it becomes a matter of whether they develop into quality NFL players. Sometimes that's a high round pick like A-Rod, sometimes it's a low round pick like Brady. Since there are a lot of factors (including injuries) that are beyond the team's control or beyond what the scouts can predict, any draft pick is a gamblee, to an extent, but the better teams will consistently make better picks and develop better players from their draft.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

That's not what I'm saying at all. All I'm saying is that late round picks aren't as worthless as some make them out to be. And you get extra late round picks by trading back just a few spots in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounds.

I'm not even sure what the original point was. I think someone was ragging on Ted Thompson for having so many late round picks. He has gone the opposite way before, traded away late picks to move up a few spots to grab an impact player. Isn't that how they got Clay Matthews III?

Originally Posted by: greengold 

see THAT is the point. Get rid of the more or less useless low round picks and spend them on quality higher round picks. You get so much more value with higher picks. You get what you pay for.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

see THAT is the point. Get rid of the more or less useless low round picks and spend them on quality higher round picks. You get so much more value with higher picks. You get what you pay for.

yeah but ......... hahaha.

If you could count on ALWAYS getting a CMIII, your logic flies. But as was said early on in the thread, Ted Thompson figures the percentages lie with quantity. Who are we mere mortals to argue hahaha?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
I did a quick check on Baltimore. The Super Bowl roster was only 37% 6th 7th round picks along with undrafted free agents. They also had 59% of the starting lineup that were 1st (7) or 2nd (6) round picks. GB had 6 firsts and 2 second or 36%. (That included Bulaga) If you add Benson, Sherrod and Perry they would have been 50%.

Someone else can check on SF. Point is the team who won the SB had better quality players across the board on their roster than GB did. Sure it is nice when an UDFA like Williams or Shields works hard and becomes the starting CB. But the Ed Reeds of the world have a better track record of success.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago

It doesn't work like that though. Ted Thompson isn't sitting there simply going "man I just want more picks even though there's some great players on the board, I'll just trade back anyways" If the players aren't there to get you cannot get them simple as that. Ted Thompson trusts the board and the scouts/evaluators. If the board says there's a bunch of guys of the same quality and no standout players then he's going to trade back and get one of those same quality players and add more chances late in the draft.

He's shown that if there's a significant player to trade up for he WILL do it so you cannot really claim he's avoiding that situation. You don't just trade up to get a player because "higher round picks have a better chance to work out" if your board doesn't say those players are worth it. On top of that each draft is different. Just because one year had a bunch of studs in the 2nd round doesn't mean the next year every 2nd rounder will be a stud ( they may all be a bust).
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

yeah but ......... hahaha.

If you could count on ALWAYS getting a CMIII, your logic flies. But as was said early on in the thread, Ted Thompson figures the percentages lie with quantity. Who are we mere mortals to argue hahaha?

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

You don't always get CM III. You just get a better chance of finding him in the higher rounds not in the 6th or 7th.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.