Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wpr  
#21 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:23:34 PM(UTC)
a kitchen site for the UK no less. makes no sense.
Laser Gunns  
#22 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:26:02 PM(UTC)
Woah,

Didn't realize it was that bad.

I was just wondering if was a robot program or a couple of douches.
Zero2Cool  
#23 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 6:53:28 AM(UTC)
Here is one suggestion ...

1. Creat a Role named "Unapproved", set it as "Is Start"
2. Set "Read Only Access" or "No Access" on all forum
3. Once admin approved, then you set them to "Registered User" Role (offical member) and they can post things.
wpr  
#24 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 7:31:57 AM(UTC)
I seem to recall years ago I registered at some website and they wouldn't let me you my hotmail account. They didn't allow any of those types be it gmail (which wasn't around back then.) yahoo or the like. I had to use the one that was assigned to my internet provider. I wonder if that would slow things down some. Of course technology has changed so much. We probably only had a couple of accounts available to use. Now providers allow you to create a whole lot more.

btw I checked with another board that I go to. I never see spam posts there so I asked him what he did. The only thing he did that I have not seen mentioned here was that he wanted the new members to have a US email address. I find it strange since he was regular posters who are overseas. I told him we have too many members that live overseas who are valued members of the board and we wouldn't want to keep others like them from joining.
Zero2Cool  
#25 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 8:02:21 AM(UTC)
Thank you for the leg work.

yopmail was the tell tale for the spammers, but now they are using @domain.com of their choice. I could create wpr@packershome.com if I wanted and if banned, create wpr1@packerhsome.com, etc... or wpr@noequalsol.com ... domain's are easy to come by, especially with the free email services.

I know a few tricks to find out if they are spam accounts. I just have to catch them in the middle of creating/posting, which I have quite a few times. Which lemme tell you, when I slap them out before they get to post ... BOOM I do a little fist pump and flip the finger at them with a big smile.
wpr  
#26 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 8:08:34 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post

yopmail was the tell tale for the spammers, but now they are using @domain.com of their choice. I could create wpr@packershome.com if I wanted and if banned, create wpr1@packerhsome.com, etc... or wpr@noequalsol.com ... domain's are easy to come by, especially with the free email services.

I know a few tricks to find out if they are spam accounts. I just have to catch them in the middle of creating/posting, which I have quite a few times. Which lemme tell you, when I slap them out before they get to post ... BOOM I do a little fist pump and flip the finger at them with a big smile.

=d> =d> =d>

Kevin:
Lets Box! Lets Box! Lets Box! Lets Box! Lets Box! Lets Box! Lets Box! Lets Box! Lets Box! Lets Box!

then they say:
[wasntme] [wasntme] [wasntme] [wasntme] [wasntme]

Yeah having your own domain 10 years ago was almost unheard of unless you were a pretty good sized company. All the more reason to hate godaddy.
Zero2Cool  
#27 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 8:24:56 AM(UTC)
lol I had my own domain 10 years ago ... for a Tribes 2 Renegades clan called Death 2 All. It was d2aclan.com but I think someone has since bought it.

]d2a[ SlickVision

for the win!
Porforis  
#28 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 8:26:42 AM(UTC)

Or just redirect them to lemonparty instead.
Pack93z  
#29 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 8:59:12 AM(UTC)
Here is one suggestion ...

1. Creat a Role named "Unapproved", set it as "Is Start"
2. Set "Read Only Access" or "No Access" on all forum
3. Once admin approved, then you set them to "Registered User" Role (offical member) and they can post things.

Here is the thing with these approaches.. at least from my viewpoint and experience. The casual user passing by the becomes interested in a topic and wishes to respond, now will not have the ability to, which might prevent them from interacting and possibly becoming more involved.

Basically, will it have an impact on the growth of the website that you have been seeking?

I think it is more notable here because everything falls on one.. not a few that can spread over the load of nipping the spam accounts in the bud.
Zero2Cool  
#30 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 11:36:42 AM(UTC)
Pack93z said: Go to Quoted Post
Here is the thing with these approaches.. at least from my viewpoint and experience. The casual user passing by the becomes interested in a topic and wishes to respond, now will not have the ability to, which might prevent them from interacting and possibly becoming more involved.

Basically, will it have an impact on the growth of the website that you have been seeking?

I think it is more notable here because everything falls on one.. not a few that can spread over the load of nipping the spam accounts in the bud.

Probably, but what negative impact to the growth desired is spam having? How many people want to come to a site littered with crap about kitchens in the UK when they are expecting to talk about the Packers? I'd think that would turn quite a few away too. I could be over analyzing things too though. I dunno.

Maybe adding a person or two to help clean up the spam would be best. I dunno. I just don't like sharing "my" problems. I should be smart enough to figure something out to stop this crap. Ugh!!
wpr  
#31 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 1:09:38 PM(UTC)
#-o
Kevin we all come here to chat. This is EVERYONE'S problem not just yours.
You have the keys to the front door but were here too.

edit-
SO DON"T BE SELFISH!!!! [grin1]
Zero2Cool  
#32 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 9:24:08 PM(UTC)
Registration has been enabled.
A new improved captcha has been implemented.

More improvements and assistance information to be posted at a later time when it can be articulated gooder.
Zero2Cool  
#33 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 9:29:33 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04 said: Go to Quoted Post
Have you tried CAPTCHA?

Went with reCAPTCHA now since it's part of the software. Had to create a couple keys, but we'll see how that goes.
68md  
#34 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:28:06 AM(UTC)
two ways I beat it>

1. add a question they have to answer... packer related. Remember a spammer in Russia and China has no clue who the packers QB was in 1996 nor will they look it up.

2. I screen all new registrations through stop forum spam site database Stop Forum Spam

Yeah may take a day to get them on the site but it's better then spam posts.
Pack93z  
#35 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 11:06:51 AM(UTC)
Got a spam type email.. not fluent in this text. ;)

Pack93z attached the following image(s):
WierdEmail.JPG (197kb) downloaded 38 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Zero2Cool  
#36 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 11:13:05 AM(UTC)
it displayed in English on my end lol ... maybe it's that purple i see causing issues?
wpr  
#37 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 11:28:24 AM(UTC)
English for me.
Pack93z  
#38 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 8:30:28 AM(UTC)
**** How not to stop spam. *****

The Badgermaniac board has been getting hit with spam.. so apparently they suspended any members within x amount of time forcing them to apply to post. And not getting them handled in an appropriate amount of time..

And what does this accomplish.. it probably will cause me to find a different forum to get my Badger fix. And yes.. it compromises any chance they had of getting $$$ out of me for their premium content. 247 will still get my dollars as of yet.

A little background.. I have subscribed for a couple of years to a college recruiting site.. but looking to upgrade I started to post around a bit to see if there was an improvement.. hence why I joined that site in the first place. A test so to speak.. my opinion of the site eroded very quickly with this tactic they employed.

Nutshell, whatever action you take to stop spam.. do not affect your existing members experience upon the site.

New registering users.. fine put them through the checks. Existing members that have established a posting history.. not.

Pet Peeve # 9348790293959 of mine.. lol.
Zero2Cool  
#39 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 9:14:05 AM(UTC)
or do what PackersHome wisely did ... hire Shawn and Wayne and suddenly the spammers stop in their tracts out of sheer fear of getting the can of whoop slapped down their throat.

now im done
Zero2Cool  
#40 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 1:50:54 PM(UTC)
Seems spam has been decreased since ... yes?
Rss Feed