wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Unfortunately the math doesn't work when it comes to putting a good team together. No team can afford really good 1st thru 3rd round players to fill out a 53 man roster.
Nor can a GM pull off drafting that many low round picks anyhow. Let's say Ted finds a way to draft 4 players in the first three rounds over 5 years.

That's 20 players and no way they are all going to turn out to be quality core type starters. How could Ted ditch the last few rounds of the draft, load up on the first three or four rounds, pay the best players we have to keep them around, AND, stay under the cap?

I would rather draft and develop young players with potential than bring in 3r or 4th year guys that haven't shown enough potential to stick around with the team they were on. Fifty three players have to come from somewhere.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

I love how people take what I say and run it as far out on a tangent as possible just to try and prove "their" point.

1. I said you can't trade up and load up with the top picks every single year.
2. I said there has to be some years where they do trade down for more lower picks.
3. I said every team needs players who are acquired in the 6/7 rounds (and also UDFAs) if nothing else than to add depth to a roster.
4. I did say there are players in the lower rounds who are worthy of becoming starters. There are simply fewer and farther between than in the higher rounds.
5. I also said who cares about what the cap is going to be some day 3 or 4 or 5 years from now. Build your winner. Win championships and let 5 years from now take care of itself. If the team wins 3 SB in the next 4 years nearly every single fan would understand it if they had to let some quality players go and rebuild due to cap space issues.

edit-
Also this is all hyperbole. None of this matters one iota. Uncle Ted is going to do what Uncle Ted wants. he isn't going to apologize nor explain himself to anyone.

I also said that I am also only looking at 2 to 3 maybe 4 roster spots in all of this discussion. Yet so many of you feel the need to teach me GM101 when you have never sat in a class on the subject yourself. But I am having fun watching all these posts come up.

I do believe that is why Kevin chose the subject title he did then sat back. He is not feeling well and he is having fun too. You're welcome Zero.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
10 years ago

I love how people take what I say and run it as far out on a tangent as possible just to try and prove "their" point.

1. I said you can't trade up and load up with the top picks every single year.
2. I said there has to be some years where they do trade down for more lower picks.
3. I said every team needs players who are acquired in the 6/7 rounds (and also UDFAs) if nothing else than to add depth to a roster.
4. I did say there are players in the lower rounds who are worthy of becoming starters. There are simply fewer and farther between than in the higher rounds.
5. I also said who cares about what the cap is going to be some day 3 or 4 or 5 years from now. Build your winner. Win championships and let 5 years from now take care of itself. If the team wins 3 SB in the next 4 years nearly every single fan would understand it if they had to let some quality players go and rebuild due to cap space issues.

edit-
Also this is all hyperbole. None of this matters one iota. Uncle Ted is going to do what Uncle Ted wants. he isn't going to apologize nor explain himself to anyone.

I also said that I am also only looking at 2 to 3 maybe 4 roster spots in all of this discussion. Yet so many of you feel the need to teach me GM101 when you have never sat in a class on the subject yourself. But I am having fun watching all these posts come up.

I do believe that is why Kevin chose the subject title he did then sat back. He is not feeling well and he is having fun too. You're welcome Zero.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Well, you have #1 thru #4 that Ted has done on a regular basis and probably on an exceptional basis when it comes to UDFA's and then you skip to #5 that is a far cry from what got you there.

There's a few holes here by the way. We won the SB in 2010 and after two years had to deal with Arod and Mathews. So if it was as simple as three or four positions and riding it for 5 years it would be a viable plan. Just doesn't fit into what is really going on.

"The train is leaving the station."
steveishere
10 years ago

To tie my rant back in to Zero's title- I want a team that wins in the playoffs not one that merely shows up and then goes home a week or two later. I guess some of you are happy with it. I am ok with you liking a form of mediocrity.
I measure success by championships.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

In the last 3 years combined only 8 teams have ended their season closer to a championship than GB. That's not any form of mediocrity.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

In the last 3 years combined only 8 teams have ended their season closer to a championship than GB. That's not any form of mediocrity.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

You can look backwards all you want. I am looking forward. however, looking back GB could have done better.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
10 years ago
If you look at the big picture as regards prospects coming out of college...

The differential between a 1st round pick and a seventh round pick is profoundly small.

We as fans get caught up in all the hype during the off-season, but one hell of a lot of this whole deal is quite the crap-shoot, manglement-wise.

(You get to call managers manglers when you get all old and retired, lol)

Topic at hand- We fail due to our trench-play. Period. Ted will have to keep pounding at this subject in the draft if he insists on avoiding free agency and/or not being that good at it, coupled with being LATE in addressing it, especially in light of his draft vs. free agency strategy. At times, it seems rather disorganized/ willy-nilly to me.

I still trust him quite a bit, plus I have no choice... I was born in Wisconsin just enough pre-Lombardi, so I'm stuck with all you whack-fucks. 😆
DakotaT
10 years ago

If you look at the big picture as regards prospects coming out of college...

The differential between a 1st round pick and a seventh round pick is profoundly small.

We as fans get caught up in all the hype during the off-season, but one hell of a lot of this whole deal is quite the crap-shoot, manglement-wise.

(You get to call managers manglers when you get all old, senile, and retired, lol)

Topic at hand- We fail due to our trench-play. Period.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

I fixed that for you! And yes, we lose football games at the line of scrimmage. It really is that simple.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
10 years ago
..took me a millisecond but I caught it, so I'm that old, am I? lol

😛 worried- a little 😮
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

..took me a millisecond but I caught it, so I'm that old, am I? lol

😛 worried- a little 😮

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Cheer up! Packers are currently the 3rd seed!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs/sort/conferenceRank/order/false 
UserPostedImage
dhazer
10 years ago

Cheer up! Packers are currently the 3rd seed!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type/playoffs/sort/conferenceRank/order/false 

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

And the Bears just lost Cutler for atleast 4 weeks with a torn vagina 😆
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Porforis
10 years ago

And the Bears just lost Cutler for atleast 4 weeks with a torn vagina 😆

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Not sure that's good news for the Packers. That's two less turnovers we'll get for two divisional games this year.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.