MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

Green Bay --- In year four, Mike Neal may be in the midst of a major position change.

JSOnline  wrote:

nerdmann
10 years ago
This is AWESOME!

At Tuesday's organized team activity practice, Neal worked at outside linebacker. The move back seemed to surprise Neal himself.

He has not had to cover as an outside linebacker before.

"No, but I’m comfortable with my athletic ability," Neal said. "I do believe our defensive linemen, not only do I have defensive linemen skills, but as far as being athletic, I can do that. Even if it’s dropping into coverage, I’ve never doubted my athletic abilities. I feel a lot more agile than I have in the past, a lot more confident in myself."

So now, he's learning a new position with outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene.

With Jones around, this may be a way for Neal to get onto the field. It likely depends how comfortable he looks at outside linebacker through OTA's, minicamp and, potentially, training camp.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
10 years ago

I'm VERY VERY HAPPY about this.

First off I'm assuming they're showing him some of the sub package stuff, they're not asking him to make a full time switch to OLB. I'm guessing they'll be asking Neal to do what Perry was doing last year, which was line up across from the OT standing up and pass rush. While Perry was doing it, it was more like a DL thing than a LB thing, which is why they've never had Walden do it (also because he's not physical enough to handle it).

But basely Perry was playing the role of a power 4-3 DE... which fits Neal VERY well (IMO).

Also when in the nickel and dime packages, the Packers have two DTs which at like 4-3 DTs and both OLBers moved up to the line like stand up 4-3 DEs. As long as Neal doesn't have to go into coverage much and is playing a 4-3 DE like position I think this could be a very good move.

I believe there were rumors about the Packers thinking about maybe moving Neal to this OLB role two years ago.

UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
It's almost like they're moving toward a 4-3 😄
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
beast
10 years ago

It's almost like they're moving toward a 4-3 😄

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

The 3-4 nickel/dime packages are basically a 4-3 with the two OLB moved up on the OT like 4-3 DEs but standing up. But that's one of the nice things about the 3-4... you can play with a 3-4 look or a 4-2 look... heck with Collins, Capers even ran a 4-3 look with 3 CBs and 1 Safety. Collins was a 4-3 OLB in that with Burnett as the deep Safety.

But the Packers did something new last year with Perry... they had a nickel look with Perry lined up across from the RT/RG gap which is new because he didn't have the outside edge which is new. He was like a power pass rushing DL more than an outside edge guy. And it worked... they had someone on the outside to protect the edge but I don't remember how they handled that at the moment.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago
If Neal drops into coverage, he's probly not gonna be man up. He'll have a small zone to cover.

And yeah, I remember them talking about this a couple years ago. Anyone remember Neal's 40 time?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
10 years ago

If Neal drops into coverage, he's probly not gonna be man up. He'll have a small zone to cover.

And yeah, I remember them talking about this a couple years ago. Anyone remember Neal's 40 time?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

No but not hard to look up...

Looks like Neal ran a good 40 yard time for his weight but slow for a LBer (4.87 at 294 Lbs.)

BUT like you said if they drop him in coverage it's going to be a zone and he's going to have help over the top. So what I find very interesting is looking at his 20 yard time... which ties Hawk's time and beats Bishop's time.

Pro-day numbers aren't always the best because you don't know what kind of surfaces they ran on, but the combine numbers are all on the same surface (I think).

Neal
40 Yrd Dash: 4.87
20 Yrd Dash: 2.72
10 Yrd Dash: 1.60

Hawk
40 Yrd Dash: 4.59 (at pro day he reran it and out 40 Yrd Dash: 4.47)
20 Yrd Dash: 2.72
10 Yrd Dash: 1.56

Bishop (combine)
40 Yrd Dash: Pulled muscle, didn't finish.
20 Yrd Dash: 2.75
10 Yrd Dash: 1.59

Bishop (pro-day)
40 Yrd Dash: 4.81
20 Yrd Dash: 2.78
10 Yrd Dash: 1.60

Neal
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=78271&draftyear=2010&genpos=DT 

Hawk
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=10424&draftyear=2006&genpos=olb 

Bishop
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=56262&draftyear=2007&genpos=ILB 

UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
Can't say I saw this coming. It certainly helps clearing up the logjam of bodies at DL that the team had and gives more depth to OLB. Since Neal is more of a pass-rusher there's some logic to it.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
This is a bit of a surprise. As a stand up LB on the line it makes sense. If he drops into coverage I hope it isn't much more than when a DL drops back into coverage.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
10 years ago
Well, it's obvious McCarthy hasn't been laying on a beach somewhere during the offseason. He's shuffling the best players he has to the blind side of the Oline and now this.

I can see Neal collapsing the pocket opposite CM3 and Mathews and Jones getting some better shots on the QB. I cannot see him asked to cover much. I think MM's looking for the best results out of certain scheme's and I doubt putting Neal out there on anybody gets that done. Not saying he won't ever be asked to cover but see that happening very seldom.
"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (12h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (14h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (15h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (17h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (18h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.