beast
10 years ago

I'd have more sympathy for him if he wasn't skipping OTAs.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

that reminds me... isn't there some sort of rumored curse on players the skip OTAs?

I remember hearing about it when Grant skipped OTAs one year trying to get a new deal.

I think there was some sort of history of players normally getting injured the years they skipped OTAs...

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
just to refresh our memory and compare here is Tramon's salary from Rotoworld :

Signed a five-year, $38.148 million contract.
The deal contains $11.074 million guaranteed, including a $6 million signing bonus.
2013: $5.9 million (+ $300,000 roster bonus),
2014: $6.9 million (+ $300,000 roster bonus),
2015: Free Agent

I think they (Shields and Rosenbutt) want something similar. Why wouldn't they? But not years 2011 and 2012 which not doubt were less than 2013 and 2014.

Reading the old rotoworld posts. Tramon (a RFA as well) held out until the last minute before signing his tender offer in June 2010. It is just business.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
10 years ago

It is just business.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Exactly... especially for UDFA's that haven't earned real money yet. Guys like this have already proven they can play at this level productively.. they are looking to recoup a bit of lost potential revenue.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
play2win
10 years ago
Shields is a great player. Period.

This half a season BS is just that. BS. In 2011, Shields had 4 INTs, 13 PDs, 1 FF and 38 Tackles, in 15 games played during a season where we nearly went undefeated. Everybody in the world was throwing on our asses...

Forget that we had NO pass rush that year, and might as well forget what that does to a team's secondary (hangs 'em out to dry, maybe?). He greatly improved his tackling last season in run D, not statistically, but it was readily apparent in watching him play. If you didn't see it, then you weren't watching. Sam is a young, quality corner with exceptional experience at the position for his age.

I think one of the bigger problems in ironing out a deal is that Ted has done so well in adding talent at CB over the past 3 years. He has so much leverage that he literally could let him walk without us skipping much of a beat IMO. This is just business, and I think Ted will more than likely lock him up with a huge deal that will keep him in GB for what should be the prime of his career. Whatever those numbers are now, they will seem reasonable 3 years down the line. Ted values quality CBs, but Ted ALWAYS plays to his leverage.

Locking up Shields will insure quality CB play for a good many years, regardless of how Tramon Williams transitions the ending of his own career. I think we just hope for the best here. Either the numbers don't work for Ted and he plays his hand out with Shields, or he pony's up and we are insured of quality play at the position, with a very deep roster of DBs, for at least the next 4 years.
warhawk
10 years ago

The other consideration is the drive and character of the player. Is Shields a Donald Driver type personality that works to play at the highest level he can regardless of the check he gets or is he a Javon Walker who demanded big bucks after one good year and never had another one?

The guy couldn't tackle the water boy running out on time outs and had to work to get his starting job last year.
Ted Thompson has repeatedly shown the players that if they just go out and play he will get the money right. I think Shields is forcing the issue after playing well the last half of last year. Make it known you want more money and go show you deserve it and I am sure before the season is over you get your wish.

"The train is leaving the station."
greengold
10 years ago
I have a feeling Shields will get paid but it will be at the expense of Tramon Williams. Maybe Tramon is a cap casualty at the end of this year rather than playing out his contract.

Shields just doesn't have much leverage, unless he wants to sit out a year. I'm sure the Packers would like to work out a deal to keep both players.
Porforis
10 years ago

I have a feeling Shields will get paid but it will be at the expense of Tramon Williams. Maybe Tramon is a cap casualty at the end of this year rather than playing out his contract.

Shields just doesn't have much leverage, unless he wants to sit out a year. I'm sure the Packers would like to work out a deal to keep both players.

Originally Posted by: greengold 

He'd have plenty of leverage if he can show he can be consistent. He was good in 2010 but not regularly defending #1 or #2 WRs, meh in 2011 and very good for what he played in 2012.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
People, People, this is a clear cut case of a lack of patience. The Cake is still in the oven; The stew ain't stew yet; This is all part of the negotiating process, and it will come to a happy ending. Ted Thompson routinely tries low-balling players; The result almost always is the job gets done for a fair but slightly less than max amount. Shields would not be expected to show up at the OTAs while delicate negotiating is going on. He also would not be expected to avoid trumpeting his achievements and asking for big money. That's the way the game is played.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
10 years ago

People, People, this is a clear cut case of a lack of patience. The Cake is still in the oven; The stew ain't stew yet; This is all part of the negotiating process, and it will come to a happy ending. Ted Thompson routinely tries low-balling players; The result almost always is the job gets done for a fair but slightly less than max amount. Shields would not be expected to show up at the OTAs while delicate negotiating is going on. He also would not be expected to avoid trumpeting his achievements and asking for big money. That's the way the game is played.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

If Shields shows up and, for example, breaks his ankle in a fumble drill, do you think he'll ever see dime one of that new contract? NO. Negotiations over.

He's just taking care of business.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
10 years ago

The other consideration is the drive and character of the player. Is Shields a Donald Driver type personality that works to play at the highest level he can regardless of the check he gets or is he a Javon Walker who demanded big bucks after one good year and never had another one?

The guy couldn't tackle the water boy running out on time outs and had to work to get his starting job last year.

Ted Thompson has repeatedly shown the players that if they just go out and play he will get the money right. I think Shields is forcing the issue after playing well the last half of last year. Make it known you want more money and go show you deserve it and I am sure before the season is over you get your wish.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

Didn't he already go show he deserved it, by taking his job back when he came back from his injury. I think our Packer loyalty clouds our judgment sometimes. Shields has nothing to prove to me, I know he can play at a very high level. Pony up Ted, take some more money from our overpaid inside linebackers if you need it.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (12h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (15h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.