DoddPower
10 years ago

Don't need to.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

True, because what you said is so obviously a factoid.
MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY—It was one of the worst, maybe the worst, game of Dom Capers’ coaching life. Nobody does that to a Capers-coached defense, but the 49ers were doing it. They were hanging 579 yards on th...

Packers  wrote:

nerdmann
10 years ago
Vic Ketchman? Really?

No credibility whatsoever. Or style, for that matter.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago
i ran a correlation between winning % and TOP.

There isn't any. The graph looked like a shotgun pattern.

It is a complete myth. It only sounds logical. In reality, it has no effect.

Time of possession is not directly tied to points. If you hold the ball for 7 minutes and throw a pick 6, then hold the ball for 7 minutes and punt, to have it run back for a TD, you are up 14-0 on the clock and down 14-0 on the score board.

If you have long drawn out drives of 10 or more plays, there are more chances to screw up and give the ball away before you score.

If you have a quick strike offense, your opponent still has to score to keep up with you. If you score fast but every time you touch the ball, they have to do more than burn clock. They have to actually put up points.

It doesn't matter how long it takes you to score as long as you do.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
nerdmann
10 years ago

i ran a correlation between winning % and TOP.

There isn't any. The graph looked like a shotgun pattern.

It is a complete myth. It only sounds logical. In reality, it has no effect.

Time of possession is not directly tied to points. If you hold the ball for 7 minutes and throw a pick 6, then hold the ball for 7 minutes and punt, to have it run back for a TD, you are up 14-0 on the clock and down 14-0 on the score board.

If you have long drawn out drives of 10 or more plays, there are more chances to screw up and give the ball away before you score.

If you have a quick strike offense, your opponent still has to score to keep up with you. If you score fast but every time you touch the ball, they have to do more than burn clock. They have to actually put up points.

It doesn't matter how long it takes you to score as long as you do.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

Not all teams run the WCO. They may not be concerned about ToP.

I think the biggest correlation in winning is having good players. We have that. I'm not worrred about successfully completing high percentage plays.

What I don't like is 3 and outs, which result from not connecting on low percentage plays. A "quick strike" offense is great. But those long passing plays are low percentage. Granted, there is some favoritism there based upon the ridiculous DPI rules.

I'm not saying we can't win using Mike's system. I just don't think it's time tested, or proven at all.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago

I think the biggest correlation in winning is having good players. We have that. I'm not worrred about successfully completing high percentage plays.

What I don't like is 3 and outs, which result from not connecting on low percentage plays. A "quick strike" offense is great. But those long passing plays are low percentage. Granted, there is some favoritism there based upon the ridiculous DPI rules.

I'm not saying we can't win using Mike's system. I just don't think it's time tested, or proven at all.

Best offense in the league 2 years running.

In 5 years, Rodgers has the highest career rating, the highest single season rating and the second highest post season rating in the history of the NFL.

11-5, 10-6, 15-1 and 11-5.

I think the offense works.

The packers are pretty good at converting on 3rd down.
nerdmann
10 years ago

Best offense in the league 2 years running.

In 5 years, Rodgers has the highest career rating, the highest single season rating and the second highest post season rating in the history of the NFL.

The packers are pretty good at converting on 3rd down.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

The Packers will be better at converting on third down this year, because they will not have to rely on Kuhn.

And I take it you're measuring the performance of the offense against statistics right? Because that is the main thing about which Mike and Aaron are concerned. So yeah, they have great stats.

Once again we got off to a shitty start by abandoning the running game and trying to sling it deep constantly.

Not saying it won't work either. But if it does, it's due more to Ted than Mike.
steveishere
10 years ago

The last 7 Superbowl winning teams threw long passing plays at a similar or higher percentage than the Packers have the last couple of years. I'd say as far as recent history is concerned that's pretty proven.
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago

The Packers will be better at converting on third down this year, because they will not have to rely on Kuhn.

And I take it you're measuring the performance of the offense against statistics right? Because that is the main thing about which Mike and Aaron are concerned. So yeah, they have great stats.

Once again we got off to a shitty start by abandoning the running game and trying to sling it deep constantly.

Not saying it won't work either. But if it does, it's due more to Ted than Mike.

They got off to a shitty start because they lost Benson and Saine while Starks was on PUP. Green was not ready to come back from knee reconstruction yet because his HGH dealer was sold out to APs Doc.

Even then they were average in number of rushing attempts.

After Harris showed up, they were top 5 in rushing attempts.

The assertion that they don't like to run the ball is a myth.

The only thing they needed to have a better running game was any healthy backs. Which they didn't really have.

Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago
If having the highest passer rating differential means you have the best chance to win, you can bet your whiney ass that the teams that win the most are going to be concerned with that stat.

Put your effort into what gives you the best chance to win.

The stats themselves are not important. What they mean is.

There is an enormous difference. One that I think Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson understand. They are not concerned about putting up stats, they are concerned with doing the things that will increase the right stats.

Because if you do, your chances of winning go up.

It is completely different. If you think it is the same thing, you don't know what the stats mean.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.