MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

Green Bay --- Inch by inch, Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers seem to be getting closer to a reunion. Both team president Mark Murphy and quarterback Aaron Rodgers have shared their thoughts on a reunion this off-season.

On Thursday, Favre weighed in.

Don't miss this excellent interview by my good pal Joe Buscaglia at WGR 550 in Buffalo. Favre joined Buscaglia in lieu of Jim Kelly's "Hunter's Hope" charity auction. You can listen to the full interview at the WGR site right here.

Here are a few highlights...

(On if the Packers have approached him about retiring his number and if it's something he wants)
"I don't know of any player who would not want that to happen. I'm honored just by the thought. Obviously there was, if you want to call it, 'bad blood' or whatever, I just think that people started picking sides. And really I'm over that and have been over it. Mark Murphy and I have talked on numerous occasions. I never expected them to do anything. I'm not one to sit here and say I think they need to do this and do that. They have a very good ball team and that's their primary focus and it should have always been, which it has.

"As time goes, it heals a lot of things. I know for me as I've gotten further and further removed from the game, I think of statistics and things of that nature, which I don't know any player where that didn't matter some. It matters a whole lot less now. So the things that transpired that led to us 'breaking up' if you will, to me, are over and done with. When will that happen? I don't think either side is trying to push the issue. I think Mark Murphy -- and Mark really came in the last few weeks of my career in Green Bay -- he kind of came into a hornet's nest if you will. He's been extremely great in trying to make this work. In our discussions, it will happen. I think both sides are genuine. I know they are. And that's the way it has to come across because that's the way it should be. We don't want to go out there waving to the crowd with our backs to each other. And I don't think that's going to happen. Aaron has said some very nice things. He and I have a good relationship. I had a chance to present an award with him at the Super Bowl and that was for real. It wasn't for show. And so I think everything will be fine."

(On if he has any regrets with how it went down, going to New York and Minnesota)
"It's the way it is. ...It is what it is. It's over and done with. I was at fault. I feel that both sides had a part in it. If you could go back would I or them have done things differently? I'm sure both sides would. But you can't. I don't know for certain, but I think the situation with Peyton (Manning) and the Colts almost looked like our situation but then maybe they thought twice about it and maybe they learned from our situation and they handled it correctly.

"So I hate it, that it happened that way and I tried to go on and play my best football in spite of those things. And I had a great year my first year in Minnesota and up until my bicep was torn in New York I really felt we were having a great year. So I look back and have fond memories of all those years. In 20 years of football, really I don't hold any regrets. I know I gave it my all. Had 16 great, wonderful years in Green Bay. Had a lot of success, played with a lot of great teammates. I was part of some teams that had some great coaches who have all branched out, McCarthy being one of those.

"Again, it happened. It's over and done with. I think things will be fine in due time."

JSOnline  wrote:

play2win
10 years ago
Good to hear. This stuff has just been a fringe distraction that needs to be dealt with and put to bed.
MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

The Packers and Brett Favre are inching and lurching toward an inevitable reunion, with Favre returning to Lambeau Field as the prodigal son who is celebrated, not shunned. Aaron Rodgers has openly supported a reconciliation.  CEO Mark Murphy has said the franchise needs Favre "back in the family.' Favre has now weighed in, via a

ProFootballTalk  wrote:

Zero2Cool
10 years ago

He and I have a good relationship. I had a chance to present an award with him at the Super Bowl and that was for real. It wasn't for show. And so I think everything will be fine.

Brett Favre wrote:

Kinda what we all knew about he and Aaron Rodgers. Glad he said it publicly so the cynics can shut their mouth's.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

GREEN BAY – “I was at fault.”

That’s what Brett Favre said Thursday. That wasn’t all the former Green Bay Packers quarterback said in a phone interview with Joe Buscaglia on WGR 550 in Buffalo to promote ex-Bills quarterback Jim Kelly's "Hunter's Hope" charity auction, but Favre did say exactly that.

He also said that he and Packers president/CEO Mark Murphy have talked “on numerous occasions,” that his relationship with Aaron Rodgers is “good,” and that “things will be fine in due time.”

To listen to the full interview 12-minute interview, click here. The interview begins with Favre talking about what he’s doing with himself in retirement and about his interest in coaching (he is the offensive coordinator at Oak Grove High School in Hattiesburg, Miss.), but the discussion about his changing relationship with the Packers sounds very much like a tectonic shift.

Murphy said at the NFL Meetings in March that a reconciliation with Favre was "a priority" and that the team wanted Favre back "in the family." Favre's successor, Aaron Rodgers, told Jim Rome last month that he thought the Packers needed to retire Favre's No. 4 before Favre enters the Pro Football Hall of Fame, presumably as a first-ballot pick in 2016.

Asked by Buscaglia if the Packers have approached him about retiring his number and if he wants to see that to happen, Favre replied: “I don't know of any player who would not want that to happen. I'm honored just by the thought. Obviously there was, if you want to call it, 'bad blood' or whatever, I just think that people started picking sides. And really, I'm over that and have been over it. Mark Murphy and I have talked on numerous occasions. I don’t, I never expected them to do anything. I'm not one to sit here and say, ‘I think they need to do this, do that.’ I think they have a very good ball team and that's their primary focus and it should have always been, which it has.

"As time does, it heals a lot of things. I know for me as I've gotten further and further removed from the game, I think about the statistics and things of that nature, which I don't know of any player where that didn't matter some. It matters a whole lot less now. So the things that transpired that led to us 'breaking up' if you will, to me, are over and done with.

“And so, when will that happen? I don't think either side is trying to push the issue. I think Mark Murphy – and Mark came in really in the last few weeks of my career in Green Bay -- he kind of came into a hornets’ nest if you will. He's been extremely great in trying to make this work. And in our discussions, it’s been, ‘It will happen.’ I think both sides are genuine. I know they are. And that's the way it has to come across because that's the way it should be. We don't want to go out there waving to the crowd with our backs to each other. And I don't think that's going to happen.

“Aaron has said some very nice things. And he and I have a good relationship. I had a chance to present an award with him at the Super Bowl and that was for real. It wasn't for show. And so I think everything will be fine.”

Asked if he regretted the way the summer of 2008 played out, when Favre ultimately was traded to the New York Jets before re-retiring and then unretiring to play for the Minnesota Vikings in 2009 and 2010, Favre accepted some responsibility for the ugly divorce that happened – and suggested that his split with the Packers influenced how the Indianapolis Colts handled Peyton Manning’s departure.

“It is what it is. It's over and done with. I was at fault. I feel that both sides had a part in it. If you could go back, would I or they have done things differently? I'm sure both sides would,” Favre said. “But you can't. And I think, I don't know for certain, but I think the situation with Peyton (Manning) and the Colts almost looked like our situation. But then, maybe they thought twice about it and maybe they learned from our situation and they handled it correctly.

“So I hate it, that it happened that way. And I tried to go on and play my best football in spite of those things. And I had a great year my first year in Minnesota and up until my bicep was torn in New York, I really felt we were having a great year. So I look back and have fond memories of all those years.

“In 20 years of football, really I don't hold any regrets. I know I gave it my all. Had 16 great, wonderful years in Green Bay. Had a lot of success, played with a lot of great teammates, was part of some teams that had some great coaches who have all branched out, (Mike) McCarthy being one of those.

"Again, it happened. It's over and done with. I think things will be fine in due time.”

Jason Wilde  wrote:

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago
PFT 

“It is what it is,” Favre said. “It’s over and done with. I was at fault. I feel that both sides had a part in it. If you could go back would I or them have done things differently? I’m sure both sides would. But you can’t.”

Huh? Because Ted should have traded for Randy Moss and Mike should have let you dictate offensive philosophy?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago
Because the Packers should never have fired his enabler... I mean Coach. Mike Sherman was doing everything right according to Favre. He didn't have to work out in the off season, participated in pre season, prepare and take care of the ball during the season or dress with the peasants in the locker room.

Nobody told him no. That was not acceptable and was a personal insult.

For that they deserved to have Favre sandbag '05 and'06. They deserved to have him fake retire, promise not to come back, wait until they had the roster set and come back anyway to drop 12 unplanned million on the cap and put them over the roster limit.

When they out maneuvered him by making cap room and getting a roster exemption so he could come in, he had to refuse. And that pissed him off so much that the Packers deserved to have him run to the rest of the NFCN and decode his playbook.

The only reasonable thing for Favre to do was to go to Minnesota so he could stick it to them for embarrassing him.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
SINCITYCHEEZE
10 years ago
This is just his first small step towards redemption in the eyes of Packer fans. Now when apologizes to the fans for what he put them through, he will truly be re-embraced in the way he should be.
Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

This is just his first small step towards redemption in the eyes of Packer fans. Now when apologizes to the fans for what he put them through, he will truly be re-embraced in the way he should be.

Originally Posted by: SINCITYCHEEZE 

Why and what does he have to apologize for to the fans?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (10h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (13h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (15h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.