DoddPower
10 years ago

McCarthey leaves that to the QB.

Specially Rodgers.

In post game PCs, McCarthey has said that he would have preferred to have run more, but he left it in Rodgers hands. That was a couple years ago.

I doubt he has suddenly started trusting Rodgers less and micro managing him more.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

I get what you're saying, but ultimately, it's Mike McCarthy's responsibility. If Rodgers is not running the ball enough, than McCarthy needs to change that. He's the head coach, not Rodgers. He has to manufacture a run game. I don't mind so much last season when the Packers didn't have much talent at running back and was playing a stout defense, but that should not be the case this year. Rodgers is an elite passer. I have no doubt he would rather pass the vast majority of the time rather than run. He needs some check-and-balance from his head coach if he is, in fact, going with the pass option calls too often. Considering the amount of sub-packages (nickel/dime) the Packers face, there's no doubt in my mind they could run more, at times.

nerdmann
10 years ago

This is all such horse hockey. Just run the damn ball...

Finally, we have the RBs to take our running game to levels we may not have seen in GB since Taylor & Hornung. If your QB is checking out to much in order to pass, and getting himself in trouble, the HC can pull him aside, or get in his ear and adjust accordingly. As a matter of fact, McCarthy has an obligation as HC to do so. Ball control will keep Kaepernick off the filed. It is that simple. Fundamental football.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Bet you a dollar it doesn't happen.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

YOU ARE ON BRO! 😆
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago

I get what you're saying, but ultimately, it's Mike McCarthy's responsibility. If Rodgers is not running the ball enough, than McCarthy needs to change that. He's the head coach, not Rodgers. He has to manufacture a run game. I don't mind so much last season when the Packers didn't have much talent at running back and was playing a stout defense, but that should not be the case this year. Rodgers is an elite passer. I have no doubt he would rather pass the vast majority of the time rather than run. He needs some check-and-balance from his head coach if he is, in fact, going with the pass option calls too often. Considering the amount of sub-packages (nickel/dime) the Packers face, there's no doubt in my mind they could run more, at times.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

In the SF game, they started running the ball, but Benson was a dog and we had nobody else.

In the Seattle game, I am pretty sure that McCarthey addressed it at half time. Rogers did hand it off a bit more.

But they still didn't have much for a RB.

They actually ran a lot at the end of the year. Because it was working and Harris was getting yards.

I don't think they need to run more. They need to run better. When they know you have to run it, you need to be able to hand it off and grind out some tough yards.

Having actual running backs will be a start.

I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I doubt they run more.

But I don't doubt they will run better.
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago

They don't need to run more. They need to run better.

With nobody healthy, it wasn't a viable option. To stubbornly hand it off when Benson can only get 2 yards per is not better than what Rodgers can do without any running game.

No, I didn't consider Benson a healthy RB. Even when he was healthy.

DoddPower
10 years ago

They don't need to run more. They need to run better.

With nobody healthy, it wasn't a viable option. To stubbornly hand it off when Benson can only get 2 yards per is not better than what Rodgers can do without any running game.

No, I didn't consider Benson a healthy RB. Even when he was healthy.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

And I get that to a degree as well. But 2-3 yards per carry followed by a 40-50 yard run can still lead to a nice average yards per carry (such as 15 runs for a 2 yard gain + a 50 yard gain). That's how the running game works sometimes. The play-caller has to patient and pound the rock. Eventually, a big chunk is likely to come lose (from the metaphorical rock). Running a few times for 2-3 yard gains and then just saying "ahh fuck it, let's just pass" isn't a good situation to be in, even with an elite quarterback.

As I said, I didn't mind so much last year with the talent that was available at the running back position and against a stout defense like the 49'ers. However, I can see similar things happening this season, and that's what I don't like. Hopefully I'm wrong. I understand this team NEEDS to be a pass first team given the personnel, but more patience is need in the run game, especially at specific times.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Rumor has it, Packers are contacting Tonya Harding ...
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago

And I get that to a degree as well. But 2-3 yards per carry followed by a 40-50 yard run can still lead to a nice average yards per carry (such as 15 runs for a 2 yard gain + a 50 yard gain). That's how the running game works sometimes. The play-caller has to patient and pound the rock. Eventually, a big chunk is likely to come lose (from the metaphorical rock). Running a few times for 2-3 yard gains and then just saying "ahh fuck it, let's just pass" isn't a good situation to be in, even with an elite quarterback.

As I said, I didn't mind so much last year with the talent that was available at the running back position and against a stout defense like the 49'ers. However, I can see similar things happening this season, and that's what I don't like. Hopefully I'm wrong. I understand this team NEEDS to be a pass first team given the personnel, but more patience is need in the run game, especially at specific times.

Big chunks are useless. You don't need big numbers. You need consistent production. Just like Passer rating vs Passing yards. Yards don't win, efficient passing does.

The 50+ yard runs don't win games. When you need 3 yards and the D knows you are going to run, you have to be able to get it.

Getting 2 yards a carry for 18 carries and with a couple 60 yard carries mixed in, you get a great average, but you were completely useless for 90% of the game. Which means you will get a lot of 3 and outs and fail to score.

If it is 3rd and 4 and you're going to get 2 yards 90% of the time, you can't depend on that running game.

Similar to what? To when we didn't have any RBs?

Or when we were top 5 in attempts and Harris put up 4.6 per?
dfosterf
10 years ago
We need a running game and the threat of a running game. I have no real complaints about Mike McCarthy's play-calling as regards "abandoning the run" . You got the best passer in the league, a shit-box-line that cannot even keep from holding, much-less open a hole...

We need a running game to put these games away. It takes a toll on the defense when we can't run, also. A big toll.

We know Rodgers can deal with just about every situation, but wouldn't it be better if (FOR ONCE) he didn't have to?

The only reason we have "sustained" drives is because our line fucked up the first two plays and Rodgers and our receiving corps bailed us out on 3rd down, repeatedly.

That aspect is a pleasure to witness (3rd and 11, Rodgers runnin' the show, no problem.) Tough on my heart, though, the 1st two downs are drivin' me, lol

To this day I cannot discern if we have had good running backs or not. I DON'T SEE A HOLE FOR THEM TO GET THROUGH, when they don't.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (10h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.