beast
10 years ago

I really only seem to hear about this change of scheme for the LB's from your posts. Is there some other discussion regarding this that I can read about? I suppose I don't feel as confident about the statements are you do.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

The closest thing I have is this... from the 2012 offseason. In which Mike McCarthy talks about playing more traditional 3-4 defense in the 2012-13 season and that helping them get to the QB more often. But Capers also played cover 2 more last season than he normally has in the past which also changed up what the LB were doing in coverage because if both Safeties are staying deep someone needs to step it up for the Bigby / Burnett (when Collins was healthy) SS role no longer roaming underneath, which is where the ILB come in.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/defensive-energy-boost-lo4ps3j-145254405.html 

In assessing last season, McCarthy said he thought the defense got too far away from running the traditional 3-4 defense. The year before, when the Packers won the Super Bowl, Capers played about 70% nickel defense because his cornerbacks were playing so well and his pass rush had linebacker Clay Matthews and end Cullen Jenkins leading the charge.

After losing Jenkins in free agency, the Packers never found anyone to take pressure off Matthews and the performance of the secondary dropped dramatically. McCarthy said he found the defense did not react well to the risk-taking opponents who came in and tried to match points with the Packers' prolific offense.

"I've never been this explosive on offense and it's a good lesson for all of us," McCarthy said. "The opposing offense plays with a lot more confidence against your defense just because the fact that your offense is explosive. (They're) like, 'We have to go in there and score 30. It's the only chance we've got.'

"So teams played us extremely aggressive. We need to do a better job of stopping that on defense. We got into a year that we can never get into again on defense."

Part of the solution, McCarthy said, might be getting back to a more traditional 3-4 defense and doing what the scheme was intended to do, which is put pressure on the quarterback.

"Frankly, we were so explosive on offense, maybe we weren't ready, maybe we went to too much sub (nickel)," he said. "We played so much sub defense the last couple of years, we'd like to get back to playing more base and doing some of the things this defense was built on.

article  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago

Maybe they just don't think he's very good.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Huh.

I don't either.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Dulak
10 years ago
ok all you brad jones lovers - you can have your brad jones for big money ... lets see how good our inside is without bishop

... steaming at the news ...

play2win
10 years ago
While I understand the sentiment regarding Bishop, I'm coming around to the idea that the staff may see him as too high a risk coming off such a severe injury with a big contract. He may never again be the same player we once knew him to be. Maybe he gets cut or restructured. His salary is such that those numbers could go a very long way with so many contracts up at the end of the year. Whatever they decide will probably be more about cap dollars than the player he was prior to injury. I can see the reasoning in this. It is a bummer, as he was one of my favorite Packer defenders.

As for Jones, I am not a fan of his new contract, but, I was impressed that he made some plays last year. Missed a bunch too, and that didn't sit too well with me. I don't see him as having that same kind of nose for the ball like Bishop had, and that is disconcerting. Either Jones shows improvement in his 2nd season inside or another player wins the position battle. For now, it looks like they have him pegged as the #1 ILB along with Hawk. AJ is pretty solid and assignment sure, just lacks a bit in coverage. Jones looks like he might have the tools to succeed inside. The staff certainly thinks so. He ought to be great in coverage with his size and speed, and he's got pass rush ability... I just question the recognition stuff. Maybe year 2 helps him, having a year's experience and a better comfort zone at ILB.

I'm not going to get too bent over this. The rest of the D looks improved from a personnel standpoint, and that should help both players inside, especially with the added talent on the DL. Won't be long and we'll be able to tell more...
DoddPower
10 years ago
It's certainly not the end of the world if Bishop gets cut. Besides, the Packers possibly have Bishop 2.0 in Terrell Manning, who is another slower thumper type player (or was in college anyway). I would like to see Bishop back for another season at a cheaper salary, but I doubt he'd stick around longer than that, anyway.

A year too early is better than a year too late.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Terrell Manning hype machine baffles me. The hasn't shown anything positive. No one wins games because of potential.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago

Terrell Manning hype machine baffles me. The hasn't shown anything positive. No one wins games because of potential.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yeah, there is a lot of hope. Just like with Nick Perry. I think there was some with Jerel Worthy, but at least he got a bunch of games in. Malumba and Boddington could contend easily for Manning's spot on the roster, if he has one.

Last year we kept 9 LBs on the final 53 man roster. Locks are:

OLB
Matthews, Perry

ILB
Hawk, Jones

That leaves 5 spots between Moses, Manning, Palmer, Barrington, Malumba, Bishop, Francois, Lattimore, Reed and Savage. I would guess the first 5 guys listed stick, Moses and Palmer at OLB, Manning, Barrington and Malumba at ILB. But, I count 5 other players on that list who definitely feel differently, and they will be fighting hard for their shot on the 53.

Manning has shown us nothing. Yet.
DoddPower
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

True, he hasn't accomplished much in the NFL, but I base my opinions off what he showed in college, which was pretty good. What else would one have to go by unless they watch the practices. He was a thumper in college, but as I mentioned, he always seemed kind of slow. Even if he made a good run defender, I think he'd struggle in coverage.

EDIT: And besides, the Packers continually put lots of faith in players that haven't showed much on game day. It's how they operate, so assuming they will do so again with a relatively unproven player to fill Bishops spot isn't much of a stretch. Based on the player Manning was in college and his draft position, I think his roster spot is safe unless he totally bombs out, or gets sick again.
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/get-to-know-terrell-manning-ho6usrl-170792686.html 

There is a reason we didn't see much out of Manning.

He had a parasite that caused colitis, diarrhea, pain, nausea, loss of appetite and loss of sleep.

He could practice too hard because he would fill his pants. He also lost 15 lbs.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
play2win
10 years ago

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/get-to-know-terrell-manning-ho6usrl-170792686.html

There is a reason we didn't see much out of Manning.

He had a parasite that caused colitis, diarrhea, pain, nausea, loss of appetite and loss of sleep.

He could practice too hard because he would fill his pants. He also lost 15 lbs.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

No disparaging him for having suffered through that. He really tried to be on the field. It's just that we won't know what the man can bring to this team till TC and the preseason. I'm hoping for the best for Manning.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.