MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

With the pre-season officially over with, we now turn our attention to the upcoming training camp and preseason.  The big question is:  What will the 2013 Green Bay Packers look like? I’m taking a look at each position and listing who I think are the likely starters, as of today.  Training camp always tends to [...]

JerseyAl  wrote:

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Wonderful Article to start the discussion, but I see wrongness at just about every position discussed.

QB: Much as I like Coleman, I think Harrell is the backup one more season, then they try to trade him for whatever draft pick they can get - unless the slim chance happens that can happen now.

RB: DuJuan Harris is a nice player, but the starter just has to be Lacy. I like the talk about having seen the last of Kuhn, but I won't believe it until I see it. I would like them to keep Green and find a way to cross-train him as a fullback, but I'm not sure that's feasible. He will be behind Franklin, and therefore very shaky.

TE: I don't see Taylor being kept as a TE. His only chance is if they do decide to dump Kuhn. I think Quarles, Mulligan, and probably Bostick make the 53 with Stoneburner on the Practice Squad and D.J. Williams gone.

WR: What a traffic jam - basically the whole roster is a traffic jam - a great dilemma to have. I think they keep Six, with Ross added to the five in the article, and Dorsey and maybe more on the Practice Squad.

OL: I don't see Barclay starting. Ideally the RT is Sherrod, but if he isn't ready, then still Newhouse. I think they keep Nine, with the other four starters, the three mentioned, plus Bakhtiari and either Datko or Van Roten. I would have said Datko for sure, but I've read people saying good things about Van Roten being improved. Tretter IR. Lane Taylor? No Way.

DL: I see Raji and Pickett rotating in one position - NG. They didn't draft Datone Jones to be a backup. He and Neal starting at DE. Boyd, Daniels, and I hope Jolly as backups, a total of eight - Worthy PUP.

OLB: The article is about right. I think Mulumba is better than Palmer, but who knows. I'd rather see Mulumba at ILB anyway.

ILB: Sadly, the article is probably about right. I like Francois; Lattimore is questionable. I still wish they'd keep Bishop - even start him over Brad Jones, but fat chance of that, I guess.

CB and S: The article is about right there too - the top four for sure. I think they only keep 5 CBs with Bush hanging around. However, Hyde probably will end up as the fifth safety kept - basically the same names as the article says. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those bubble guys mentioned replaces Richardson. I also wouldn't be surprised if they keep only four each CB and S, and maybe cross-train one of the many WRs for DB.

Special Teams is pretty much locked up the way the article has it.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
10 years ago
Problem spots:

If anything happened to Deitrich-Smith the whole offense could have trouble. If I were Ted, I would be looking to trade excess talent in an area to get a Center. I don't trust who they have now.

More so with Rodgers. Even if the back ups were Jay Cutler and Tony Romo.

The Packers need a good big man back up to Raji as Pickett is nearing the end of his career. Is Pena that guy?

We always worry about depth this time of the season because so many of the rookies and 2nd year guys are so inexperienced. Yet a lot of guys step up when given the opportunity (like Barclay last year).

Pray that injuries do not happen especially to starters.

blank
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Problem spots:

If anything happened to Deitrich-Smith the whole offense could have trouble. If I were Ted, I would be looking to trade excess talent in an area to get a Center. I don't trust who they have now.

More so with Rodgers. Even if the back ups were Jay Cutler and Tony Romo.

The Packers need a good big man back up to Raji as Pickett is nearing the end of his career. Is Pena that guy?

We always worry about depth this time of the season because so many of the rookies and 2nd year guys are so inexperienced. Yet a lot of guys step up when given the opportunity (like Barclay last year).

Pray that injuries do not happen especially to starters.

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez 

Packer centers are made, not born. If EDS went down, Lang or somebody else would move in. Also, there's that guy Lewis who wasn't even mentioned in the article.

True if Rodgers got hurt, but Harrell/Coleman is as decent as they need, all things considered.

What about Boyd? The big rant about Raji was "all he needs is to be rotated". I'm expecting that - and if Pickett isn't up to being a part-time NG, then he shouldn't even be on the team.

DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Boyd is critical in that because Pickett doesn't have much more time in his career. Still I feel like we need a new true NG prospect in next year's draft for development. BJ Raji has not proven to be that dependable hold the point force he was drafted to be but has still been a good player overall.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
There are only a few positions up for grabs. Injuries or trades will have an impact on the final roster. Here is my second round of guesses as to who makes the team.

Quarterback (2)
Starter: Aaron Rodgers
Backup: BJ Coleman

Running Back/Fullback (4)
Starter: Eddie Lacy
Backup: DuJuan Harris, Johnathan Franklin, Alex Green

Wide Receiver (5)
Starters: Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Randall Cobb
Backups: Jarrett Boykin, Charles Johnson
Bubble: Jeremy Ross

Tight End (5)
Starter: Jermichael Finley
Backup: Andrew Quarless, Ryan Taylor, DJ Williams, Matthew Mulligan

Offensive Line (8)
Starters: Bryan Bulaga, Josh Sitton, Evan Dietrich-Smith, TJ Lang, Don Barclay/Derek Sherrod,
Backups: Marshall Newhouse, David Bakhtiari
JC Tretter, IR

Defensive Line (8)
Starters: BJ Raji, Ryan Pickett, Mike Neal
Backup: Datone Jones, CJ Wilson, Mike Daniels, Josh Boyd
Bubble: Johnny Jolly
Jerel Worthy IR

Outside Linebacker (4)
Starters: Clay Matthews, Nick Perry
Backup: Dezman Moses, Nate Palmer

Inside Linebacker (4)
Starters: AJ Hawk, Brad Jones
Backup: Terrell Manning, Jamari Lattimore
Bubble: Robert Francois

Cornerback (6)
Starters: Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Casey Hayward
Backup: Davon House, Jarrett Bush, Micah Hyde

Safety (4)
Starters: Morgan Burnett, Jerron McMillian
Backups: MD Jennings, Sean Richardson

Special Teams (3)
Starters: Mason Crosby (PK), Brett Goode (LS), Tim Masthay (P)

Coleman beats out Harrell as the backup. I admire Harrell. He got my attention a couple of years ago with this complete lack of furnishings in his apartment. I wish him well but it will be hard for him to overcome Coleman's stronger arm.

Unlike others I am suspicious of Harris as being the starting RB. It would not shock me if he isn't even on the team. By the end of the year Lacy and Franklin will be carrying the ball 95% of the time with Rodgers on a scramble or designed run in addition to Cobb accounting for the other 5%. Look for Green or Harris to be a gameday inactive by the end of the year.

Ross could stick at WR if he shows that he can return kicks. It is his best chance to make the team. If so they will go with 6 WR.

There could be more changes at TE but I won't pick who they are until after TC.

Barclay will start at RT but Sherrod will take the position back over before the middle of the season.

I shorted the offense a player in order to give the DL another big body. It is Jolly's to lose. He probably only has a 50-50 chance at this point.

Neal won't be long in his position as a starter. Once Jones gets up to speed he will get more snaps on the DL. Which is probably why they are looking for other ways to use Neal.

UserPostedImage
10 years ago

There are only a few positions up for grabs. Injuries or trades will have an impact on the final roster. Here is my second round of guesses as to who makes the team.

Quarterback (2)

Wide Receiver (5)

Tight End (5)

Offensive Line (8)
Starters: Bryan Bulaga, Josh Sitton, Evan Dietrich-Smith, TJ Lang, Don Barclay/Derek Sherrod,
JC Tretter, IR

Defensive Line (8)
Jerel Worthy IR

Outside Linebacker (4)

Inside Linebacker (4)

Cornerback (6)

Safety (4)

Special Teams (3)

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Not bad for this time of year and several players unseen. Injuries always lead to changes and I pray there are not many if any.

I don't want to argue over hypothetical scenarios but I think John Kuhn as a better chance of making the team than Jarrett Bush.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Not bad for this time of year and several players unseen. Injuries always lead to changes and I pray there are not many if any.

I don't want to argue over hypothetical scenarios but I think John Kuhn as a better chance of making the team than Jarrett Bush.

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez 

I usually add a long shot or two but I just don't know enough the bubble players.

Kuhn may well make it but I expect Bush to as well. He has done such an outstanding job on ST.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Quarterback (2)

Wide Receiver (5)

Tight End (5)

Offensive Line (8)
JC Tretter, IR

Defensive Line (8)
Jerel Worthy IR

Outside Linebacker (4)

Inside Linebacker (4)

Cornerback (6)

Safety (4)

Special Teams (3)

Coleman beats out Harrell as the backup. I admire Harrell. He got my attention a couple of years ago with this complete lack of furnishings in his apartment. I wish him well but it will be hard for him to overcome Coleman's stronger arm.

Unlike others I am suspicious of Harris as being the starting RB. It would not shock me if he isn't even on the team. By the end of the year Lacy and Franklin will be carrying the ball 95% of the time with Rodgers on a scramble or designed run in addition to Cobb accounting for the other 5%. Look for Green or Harris to be a gameday inactive by the end of the year.

Ross could stick at WR if he shows that he can return kicks. It is his best chance to make the team. If so they will go with 6 WR.

There could be more changes at TE but I won't pick who they are until after TC.

Barclay will start at RT but Sherrod will take the position back over before the middle of the season.

I shorted the offense a player in order to give the DL another big body. It is Jolly's to lose. He probably only has a 50-50 chance at this point.

Neal won't be long in his position as a starter. Once Jones gets up to speed he will get more snaps on the DL. Which is probably why they are looking for other ways to use Neal.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Not a bad analysis, but I like mine slightly more than yours hahahaha.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

Not a bad analysis, but I like mine slightly more than yours hahahaha.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

as you should. [grin1]
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (20h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.