OlHoss1884
10 years ago
For those that missed the link, it said this: since 1990 there have been 10 cases where it was confirmed that a player suffered a ruptured hammy. Of the 10, only 5 players played more than 1 NFL game following the injury. Regardless of where you stand on the debate about his value when healthy, the likelihood that Bishop was going to recover to be fully productive was pretty slim.

It isn't just the salary, but to pay a salary with such a risk makes this an easy move. To be honest, I am glad they let him go early so, if he IS pretty well ready to play, he has some time to find another team. The fact remains, if he re-injurs it or has another problem with the same leg, the Packers would be on the hook for his salary and that is far more likely than his having a quality year.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
DoddPower
10 years ago

For those that missed the link, it said this: since 1990 there have been 10 cases where it was confirmed that a player suffered a ruptured hammy. Of the 10, only 5 players played more than 1 NFL game following the injury. Regardless of where you stand on the debate about his value when healthy, the likelihood that Bishop was going to recover to be fully productive was pretty slim.

It isn't just the salary, but to pay a salary with such a risk makes this an easy move. To be honest, I am glad they let him go early so, if he IS pretty well ready to play, he has some time to find another team. The fact remains, if he re-injurs it or has another problem with the same leg, the Packers would be on the hook for his salary and that is far more likely than his having a quality year.

Originally Posted by: OlHoss1884 

Yup. Gotta play the odds. It makes the contract they gave Brad Jones make a lot more sense, as well. Plus, releasing him gives Bishop a chance to get a nice salary with another team of his choice. If he can't find work at a reasonable price, perhaps the Packers give him one more chance. Who knows, but at least he has the opportunity to prove to other teams he's fully recovered.
DakotaT
10 years ago

I should smack you.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

[-x , you asked to have it explained to you! I thought I was being a good friend. [grin1]
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
10 years ago
Personally, I think this is a mistake.. for a defense that lacks fire, you have now shipped out one of the few parts that provide a spark.

Bishop's lateral quickness prior to the injury was marginal.. so I get it from that front and the concerns about offenses continuing to stretch defenses.

But somebody better step up and become the juice for this defense.. maybe the rook Jones will become that guy.. maybe lighting will flash and Jolly flips the switch. Sorry, but we need more fire and Bishop was one of the few to provide it.

Color me not a "fan" of the move.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
When Desmond Bishop took over for Nick Barnett, I had mentioned the defense just "felt" like it was more tough with the change. The Packers won the Super Bowl that season.

I wonder the role hamstring injury history played in his release because it seems like defense that needs to get "bigger, faster" just got less physical.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Desmond Bishop is awesome and yes very physical. But he just overdoes it. I don't see that going away. The Super Bowl was great, but I don't see him learning from his and slowing down. I think he will get injured again unfortunately. It hurts me to say that because I like him as a player, but that is just what I see happening.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
Time will tell if he still has anything left after the injury. it is too bad.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
I was surprised at the release of Bishop, according to him, The Packers did not even attempt to negotiate a restructure, that tells me there was a legitimate concern on Bishops recovery status.

I do what I always do, that is list all the lbr's and try to see what Ted & co. are looking at.

Here are the Linebackers currently on the Packers 90 man roster.
I listed them by the year they were drafted or signed.
The Packers will will keep at minimum 8 LBr's, but have kept 9 and I think at 1 point last year there were 10 lbr's on the final 53.
I am betting on 9 for this year.

A.J. Hawk......................................................................2006
Clay Mathews, Robert Francois(FA)...................................2009
Jamari Lattimore(FA)......................................................2011
Nick Perry, Terrel Manning, Dezman Moses(FA)..................2012
Nate Palmer, Sam Barrington,..........................................2013
Jarvis Reed(FA), Donte Savage(FA), Andy Mulumba(FA)......2013

Mathews, Hawk, Jones, and Probably Perry will be the starters.(Base D)

Hawk and Jones both played in all 16 games last year, Hawk started all 16, Jones started the last 10.
They have both proven to be durable,solid players, although not playing up to some on this forums expectations, Ted and Co. know what they can expect from them, with Hawk restructuring and Jones being rewarded for his solid play in 2012 the writing was on the wall for Bishop.

Let's not forget Perry was transitioning from d-lineman to olb in his rookie year and should show that 1st to 2nd year improvement that coaches look for, his injury may slow down that process, but being a 1st rnd pick, he is probably expected to be able to catch up quickly.

Francois and Lattimore have proven in the past they both can be spot starters and contribute on Special Teams.
They are both under contract and I can see why Ted would choose to keep them over Bishop.

That leaves 3 spots left to fill Manning and Moses came in the same draft class as Perry, I see Ted & Co. holding on to both, hoping they also will make that 1st to 2nd year improvement. Both are still working under rookie contract and will also be Special teams players.

Palmer, Barrington, Mulumba, Reed, and Savage will fight it out for the final spot, with probably 2 of the 4 left going to the practice squad.

There really isn't enough information on any of these guys to make that decision until they put on the pads and prove they can play.

Whichever draftees and/or UDFA lbr's make the final 53 and PS. I hope they get a chance to develop and not have to be thrown into the starting lineups because of injury.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (35m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (49m) : Yes
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
38m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.