MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

In an unforeseen shocker, Brett Favre this week took partial responsibility for his broken relationship with his former team, the Green Bay Packers. OK, Packers fans, all together now: Duh. During an interview with WGR 550 AM in Buffalo, the three-time MVP told the show’s host, Joe Buscaglia, “I was at fault.” Gee, Brett, you [...]

LombardiAve  wrote:

Zero2Cool
10 years ago

Brett Favre's Bury the Hatchet Tour continued on Thursday when it took him to the airwaves of SiriusXM NFL Radio, where he was interviewed by Bruce Murray and Jim Miller.

As he did last week in a radio interview in Buffalo, Favre acknowledged his share of blame for his messy and bruising departure from Green Bay. But he was effusive in his praise for the Packers' as an organization and expressed gratitude that he was able to play most of his career in Green Bay.

"I left them in limbo, as we all know - kind of yeah, no - I just didn't want to make a decision until I got right up to training camp," Favre said. "And that's probably where I was at fault. I was also at fault for saying I was retiring."

Favre said he expects Aaron Rodgers, barring injury, to shatter all his records "except for maybe consecutive games."

Favre was asked why there is an assumption that his relationship with Rodgers was sour when they were teammates.

"I have no idea, honestly," Favre said. "I think Aaron, if he were on this phone right now would say the same thing. I spent a tremendous amount of time studying the game myself. In the latter part of my career I was a lot more vigilant from a mental aspect of it. I was trying maybe to make up for the lack of physical skills over time. I can remember, pretty much all the time, Aaron would say: 'Do you mind if I watch a little film with you?' This would be when people left, Wednesday or Thursday, 5:30 (p.m.) or something. I'd say, 'Sure.' His style of play, obviously, is a little bit different than mine. But I would try to offer him things that were not so much style as things I worked at, little nuances that I worked at. The way I played the game doesn't mean you have to play it that way. I would say, I'm throwing quick here - this is a run play, but I'm throwing quick because the corner is off at outside leverage at eight yards. So I'm going to throw a quick slant. Well, you know, how do you get to that? Little things like that. Then from a leadership standpoint, always being accountable and things like that. Taking the blame. . . . You got to play the game the way you play it. He has done a heck of a job with that. But we spent a lot of time just kind of talking about what had made me successful. Very knowledgeable guy. And we got along fine. I mean, really. There were no problems between Aaron and I. I had no problem with him becoming the next quarterback for the Packers. It was bound to happen at some point. I have no problems with the success that he's had. In fact, I'm proud of it. And you know what? I was well aware of the media making a big deal out of it. I mean, I'm not going to sit there and fight it all the time. I knew it wasn't true. Aaron knew it wasn't true. Did I talk to him all the time? No. Do I talk to other guys all the time? No. So he knows how I feel about him and he knows how I feel about his career up to this point."

In talking about his own mental toughness, Favre said part of it sprang from his sense that he never felt he could rest on his laurels. He was driven by not wanting to be replaced.

"I never, ever rested - (that) I'm fine, my position is safe, no one is going to beat me out," Favre said. "I always looked over my shoulder. Other people may be different. I remember how I got the job. (Don) Majkowski had gotten hurt. It wasn't a major injury but it was enough to give me a shot. I could have either gone in and screwed it up or I could have gone in and bettered my chances. I did that. Three hundred some odd games later, Don is still maybe looking going, 'You know at some point he is going to get hurt.' Or the next guy saying that. I was willing to try, even though it may have been crazy, because I wanted to be accountable, I wanted to be there for my team, first of all. But second of all, I knew that they can forget you pretty quickly."

Favre was asked what level of involvement he would like to have with the Packers' organization, if he wanted to be a kind of ambassador for the team.

"First of all, I don't think they need one," Favre said. "Green Bay, the reason it is Green Bay is because it's just that. It's the Green Bay Packers. The tradition, the history. The former players, the coaches that make up this great history speaks for itself. I don't have to go out and promote the Green Bay Packers. I don't want a position. I don't want to be given one just for kicks and giggles. I'll say it here. I'll say it any day, any time to anyone, that is a tremendous organization that has been able to survive in a world - that there is no way you would ever start a franchise in Green Bay. No offense Green Bay. It's the same size as Hattiesburg. But tell me where you have a non-Jerry Jones ownership type setup that has succeeded. There's only one. It's Green Bay in a market that there is no market, if you look at it from a grand scheme of things.

"I'm not looking for any favors," Favre said. "I think the fact that I played there and played for so long and had some great success to me is enough."

But what about not so much promoting the team, but just feeling comfortable going back to Lambeau for big games and spending time around the organization.

"To what extent that will happen - and I'll tell you why it will probably happen less," Favre said. "Because I don't really like traveling, to be honest with you. After 20 years, I just got tired of traveling back and forth. . . . Will I go to some games? Will I be a part of it? Absolutely. To what extent, I have no idea."

UserPostedImage
DakotaT
10 years ago
Favre needs to have a long talk with Terry Bradshaw, who similarly, acted like a jackoff at the end of his career. Many years later, he had his day in Pittsburgh and took full responsibility for being a jackoff.

I think Brett needs more time to realize what a jackoff he is.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
10 years ago
When he publicly apologizes to Ted Thompson...preferably to his face, like a man...He DID, after all, put Ted and this organization through hell... (due to the morons, but I digress, yet again)

That's the day he gets dfosterf back.

Simple.
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago
I say we wait as long as we waited for Curley.

And he won 6 championships.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Cheesey
10 years ago
WOW!
So......he finally is beginning to realize he didn't handle it in a very mature way.
ABOUT TIME, I'D SAY.
As time goes by, and people are no longer falling at his feet and hanging on his every word, he's finally getting to accept that his own perception of himself was WAY overblown.
Yes, he was a great athelete. But still, ONLY a man.
It's kind of sad how much he hurt his own self by his own actions.
I still appreciate what he did here, and will cheer him once again when he gets his induction into the HOF.
He will always be a "Packer" in my mind.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
10 years ago
I also very much appreciate Brett Favre and the "net" of his career with Green Bay. He provided me so many personal thrills, and so many years of feeling good about my Green Bay Packers.

I rag on him a lot- in here - but my ragging has been mostly directed at those that blindly love Brett Favre ... no matter what. It irritates, with the perspective of growing up with Bart Starr, Vince Lombardi, etc.

For one small example, as great as Vince Lombardi was, he would have been a mere blip on the screen without the mastery of Bart Starr on that football field, and Bart did it most very quietly, which should make him so friggin' cool to all that read this to this day. I wish you younger folk could have seen his field generalship. (you do, his name is Aaron Rodgers, with a better arm) This is my strong opinion.

I did not like how he treated this organization through his PR machine at the end, (back to Lord Favre) and he could have done a FAR better job of treating Aaron Rodgers, MM, and Ted, through that exact machine he developed over the years.

We owe Brett a lot, as fans. He owes the above persons a sincere apology.

jmo
dhpackr
10 years ago
That's OK Brett we still love ya, come on back!
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (20h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (23h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.