Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Click Packers to read the full article.

GREEN BAY—One answer was obvious. The other was curious.

After one of this spring’s OTA practices, wide receiver Jordy Nelson was asked by a reporter which two statistics he thinks matter the most to his quarterback, Aaron Rodgers.

Nelson’s first thought was interceptions. No surprise there.

Rodgers has made it clear time and time again how much he loathes throwing the ball to the other team, and with just 32 interceptions in 2,070 pass attempts over the past four regular seasons, Rodgers’ minuscule 1.55 interception percentage ranks first in the league from 2009-12. Only Tom Brady, at 1.61, is even close to him.

Nelson’s second choice, however, wasn’t the expected touchdowns or passer rating or yards. It was completion percentage.

The way Nelson explained it, the two key stats go hand in hand.

“The rest comes with it,” Nelson said. “If you don’t turn the ball over, you get more opportunities. If your completion percentage is high, that means as receivers we’re doing our job, he’s putting the ball in the right spots, and again, it allows you to get more opportunities.

“The more opportunities you get, the more yards you get and the more touchdowns you’ll get, so I think it all starts with those two.”

Packers.com  wrote:

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago
So, Rodgers is into stats?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
dfosterf
10 years ago
The man thinks he can make every throw.

He can't, but he comes incredibly close, especially in the context of the heat he is under.

If the rest of the schleppers in this organization did their jobs 1/2 as well as Aaron Rodgers does his... the line, the running backs, the defense, the coaches and Ted and co.

He just might get virtually all those throws he thinks he can make. He only needs about a third to a half of a of a second more than he gets now. Rodgers with one more half-second on average ... That would be something to see and admire in awe.
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago
In 2011, Rodgers had 6 picks.

That is fairly impressive until you look deeper into it.

There is another stat that is a little more accurate.

It is on Football outsiders site.

It doesn't include INTs that went off the WRs hands or were desperation heaves like a hail Mary. It also includes passes that the defense dropped, that should have been INTs.

In 2011, of Rodgers' 6 picks, 2 of them went off the intended receiver. Including a potential TD that Finley had in his hands that would have won the KC game.

Rodgers was also very unlucky because in addition to the 4 bad passes he threw and the 2 that went off his WRs, the defenses dropped 0 of his passes.

In one entire year, Rodgers threw 4 bad passes for a 0.8% adjusted INT rate.

Last year, Andrew Luck threw 30 including 14 dropped INTs. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Porforis
10 years ago

In 2011, Rodgers had 6 picks.

That is fairly impressive until you look deeper into it.

There is another stat that is a little more accurate.

It is on Football outsiders site.

It doesn't include INTs that went off the WRs hands or were desperation heaves like a hail Mary. It also includes passes that the defense dropped, that should have been INTs.

In 2011, of Rodgers' 6 picks, 2 of them went off the intended receiver. Including a potential TD that Finley had in his hands that would have won the KC game.

Rodgers was also very unlucky because in addition to the 4 bad passes he threw and the 2 that went off his WRs, the defenses dropped 0 of his passes.

In one entire year, Rodgers threw 4 bad passes for a 0.8% adjusted INT rate.

Last year, Andrew Luck threw 30 including 14 dropped INTs. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

If you're good enough you don't need luck.
PackerTraxx
10 years ago
The Colts weren't really that good without any Luck!!! If completion percentage is that important to him Aaron should take more of those opportunities to short passes over the middle. That doesn't compute for me.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Porforis
10 years ago

The Colts weren't really that good without any Luck!!! If completion percentage is that important to him Aaron should take more of those opportunities to short passes over the middle. That doesn't compute for me.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

People also neglect to acknowledge that Andrew Luck was not the only new face in Indianapolis, that it was a new season. If we're going to blame Aaron for not dumping it off enough (since being possibly the best QB ever statistically isn't good enough) why are we giving Luck all the credit for Indy's turnaround?
PackerTraxx
10 years ago
The Luck comments was just a play on words. But I believe nearly everybody would agree without him their record would have been about as bad as the year before. Certainly he didn't do it alone, no team ever does.

The Rodgers comment is in regards to the article, not Aaron. If completion percentage is that important, one would think he would take the shorter more open receiver to raise his completion percentage and cut down interception percentage even more-instead of throwing it downfield which he has tended to do. That's why the article's comments doesn't compute for me.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago

The Luck comments was just a play on words. But I believe nearly everybody would agree without him their record would have been about as bad as the year before. Certainly he didn't do it alone, no team ever does.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

I would say that luck had more to do with it than Luck.

14 dropped INTs. With 30 total, they probably have the same record as last year.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
nerdmann
10 years ago

I would say that luck had more to do with it than Luck.

14 dropped INTs. With 30 total, they probably have the same record as last year.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

In fairness, dropped INTs could be the result of how hard the QB throws, or how strategically he throws. For example, Infante was big on delivering the ball low, so it would be harder to pick off than say, a ball that's tipped up in the air.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (11h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (23h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (23h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

9h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.