MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

James Jones was a touchdown machine for the Green Bay Packers last season and set himself up for huge production in 2013. His 14 touchdowns in 2012 not only places him at the top statistically in the target/touchdown ratio, but it also has him poised to push Jordy Nelson as the team's best receiver. [...]

LombardiAve  wrote:

sschind
10 years ago
It will be interesting to see the comments on this. I'm sure a lot of people still consider Jones to be the pass dropping borderline #4 receiver from a few years back but I agree that it is key to resign him for one reason. Jennings and Driver are gone. I know driver was not a big part of the offense last year and Jennings was hurt but look at the receivers they have now. Jones, Cobb, Nelson and ???????. Take Jones out of that mix and you go from a very good receiving corps (one of the best) to one that is average at best. I realize that we are talking about a year from now and that we do have young guys in camp that may step up but frankly, none of those young guys has me very excited. Certainly not to the point where you could point to any of them and say "that's the guy that will replace Jones"

Add to that the fact that everyone seems to want Finley gone and our pass catching group gets mighty thin if we lose Jones and Finley a year after losing Driver and Jennings.

I think its a good thing that we upgraded (IMO) our running game because I certainly think our passing game has taken a step back. One thing I can say about last seasons passing game and the loss of Jennings this year is that Jennings and Nelson missed a lot of games and look what Rodgers did. If Finley or one of the other TEs can step up we might not miss much but I don't think we can lose another key cog (Jones) from that wheel and keep it turning nearly as smoothly.

Jones' suggestion that there may be 3 1000 yard receiver this year could hold true if for no other reason that they only have 3 reliable receivers on the team (discounting Finley who many don't consider reliable anyway) Now 3 is more than most teams have but most teams don't have a QB who is capable of getting all 3 the ball like Aaron Rodgers.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
It's a close call, but I tend to disagree.

James Jones is good, no doubt about that. Therefore, he will probably command a lot of money - maybe more than Jennings because he is younger. First of all, every Packer receiver LOOKS better than he is because of the bullets being shot at them by Aaron Hernandez (OOPS) I meant Rodgers. Second, it SEEMS at least, that good receivers are NOT that hard to find.

At the least, Ted Thompson should wait and see how it plays out - the development of any of the plethora of potentially hot new WRs - before committing any big amount to Jones.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
There's a reason Ted keeps bringing in young Wr's in bunches, with the signing of Rodgers and Mathews, he(Ted) is going to have to choose wisely on who to keep and who to let go.

Jones has another year like 2012 and he is probably going to be gone.

Ted let's players explore Free Agency, he will make Jones an offer, but it probably will not match another teams if Jones has a good year.

That is why Boykin and Ross need to keep developing, and Johnson and Dorsey need to get on the field and show they have the potential to be NFL receivers when their time comes.

Ted was smart to sign both Jordy and Jones to a 2nd contract, getting them for a very reasonable price.

Now they have both showed they can be #1's they won't be that easy to resign.

I'm afraid wr is going to be a position of draft, develope, start, leave via FA when the rookie contract is up.

I would Rather Ted would work a deal with Cobb a year early, if he gets to Free Agent status, with the talent he has shown, it is going to be hard for Ted to afford him.

As always I hope I am completely wrong and they all decide they want to stay together in Green Bay!!!

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
10 years ago
JJ's drops were over the shoulder type catches. It wasn't just a question of poor hands. So to me, that's something he can work on to improve. I think he's been doing that. Although they did seem to have him turned around facing the QB alot more last year. lol

Ted can get WRs, but think about this.

You KNOW the Queens are going to make him an offer. They'll wanna reunite Jennings and Jones.

That said, I don't know if Ted can pay JJ. We've got a lot of guys we need to pay, and Ted's the master of finding gems at WR. He might wanna go young. I bet if Johnson or Dorsey really bust out, it will lower JJ's value to the team.

Ted will make him an offer, just depends what else is out there.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago
One of the reasons Jones had such a great year is because of the injury limited years Jenningns and Nelson had.

Nelson was the leagues top scoring WR in 2011.

Jones did not drop many passes last year. He scored on a high percent of his targets. I think he would be a valuable receiver.

A big issue that I have seen is the dropped passes. Rodgers WRs have been at or near the top of the league. That is one thing that needs to be addressed. A lot of our losses can be attributed to our receiving corps having bad days hanging onto the ball. Even in the Super Bowl, there were way to many drops. Specially by Nelson.

Although it is scarry how good Rodgers numbers would be if the Packers were average in drop percentages.

If he had the same drop percentage as Brees in 2011, he would have completed 73% of his passes and had a rating around 130.

We probably go 16-0 in 2011 if we cut the drops in half.

I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
nerdmann
10 years ago

One of the reasons Jones had such a great year is because of the injury limited years Jenningns and Nelson had.

Nelson was the leagues top scoring WR in 2011.

Jones did not drop many passes last year. He scored on a high percent of his targets. I think he would be a valuable receiver.

A big issue that I have seen is the dropped passes. Rodgers WRs have been at or near the top of the league. That is one thing that needs to be addressed. A lot of our losses can be attributed to our receiving corps having bad days hanging onto the ball. Even in the Super Bowl, there were way to many drops. Specially by Nelson.

Although it is scarry how good Rodgers numbers would be if the Packers were average in drop percentages.

If he had the same drop percentage as Brees in 2011, he would have completed 73% of his passes and had a rating around 130.

We probably go 16-0 in 2011 if we cut the drops in half.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

There's something about the way he throws the ball.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dexter_Sinister
10 years ago

There's something about the way he throws the ball.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I don't know.

I see alot of failure to watch the ball into their hands by the WRs.

Finly was clutching the ball instead of having soft hands. I think he was trying too hard. He seems to go in streaks where he has stone hands. They he relaxes and starts having fun or something and he is catching everything. Even stuff nobody else could.

Jennings has never had that problem. Jones didn't drop very many last year. Nelson didn't drop very many in 2011.

It changes from year to year who is dropping the ball.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
beast
10 years ago
I think when fully healthy both Nelson and Cobb are better than Jones.

Nelson missed 4 games and was still less than 40 yards behind Jones.
And of the 12 games he was in didn't he get knocked out in the 1st quarter of two of them?

I'm having trouble putting Jones at the top of the list for guy that need to be resigned next year.

I mean there is Newhouse, D-Smith, Jones, Finley, Quarless, Starks, Raji, Pickett, Neal, Wilson, Burnett, Shields, AND MORE!!!!

#1 you need a NT to ran a 3-4... and unless Jolly or Pena is going to be the Packers starter in 2014 they need to sign someone for NT.

#2 Shields has had his up and downs but unless his contract demands are out of the park, you got to try get him signed to a deal that's alright in the Packers minds.

Then there is a lot of ways to go...

~ Packers D has lacked in pass rus, Neal can help with that (some).

~ Since losing Collins fans have been complaining about the play (didn't know how good we had it until we lost it) but losing Burnett won't help anything and having someone the Packers (say they) trust at FS is good.

~ Jones has been very very solid or better for a long time now.

~ Finley can be a super player maker (also can cause a lot of screaming and complaining)

~ Quarless, just a gut feeling / hope he might have a break out season.

~ Newhouse and D-Smith could very well be important starters this season and Packers need the best they can get to protect Rodgers.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.