MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — The Green Bay Packers have cast their lot. By season's end, we will know how Desmond Bishop fares with the Minnesota Vikings and what D.J. Smith does with the San Diego Chargers.

Will they return to their pre-injury forms? Will they stay healthy? Will they be productive with their new teams, who wasted little time bringing them aboard after the Packers cast them adrift?

But even if Bishop doesn't make it through the entire 2013 season without reinjuring the hamstring tendon in his right leg that he ruptured in last year's preseason opener in San Diego, and even if Smith's surgically rebuilt left knee, in which he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in Houston last October, falls apart, the team's starting inside linebackers — A.J. Hawk and Brad Jones — will still be scrutinized all season long.

The Packers essentially made up their minds about who'd be starting in the middle of their defense in March. First, the team restructured Hawk's contract, getting him to accept a pay cut of $7.25 million over the final three years of his deal. In return, they gave him more than $2 million in guaranteed money in 2013. That kind of guaranteed money made it clear that Hawk would return as a starter.

Then, the team re-signed Jones, who took over for Bishop and Smith after both were lost for the season, to a three-year, $11.75 million contract. Jones, who shifted to inside linebacker during training camp after playing outside his first three seasons, made only one unrestricted free-agent visit — to the Tennessee Titans — before re-signing with the Packers.

Jones started the final 10 regular-season games and both playoff games, serving as a three-down linebacker and calling the defense in the huddle. He registered 102 regular-season tackles, two sacks and had one forced fumble, then had 16 tackles in two playoff games.

According to ProFootballFocus.com, Jones played 828 snaps and finished with a 7.3 grade in their grading system. (The only other linebacker with a positive grade was Clay Matthews; Hawk finished at minus-2.2 and Smith at minus-2.0.) Jones' plus-4.6 coverage grade was the fourth-highest among all middle/inside linebackers league-wide.

The website named Jones one of its "Secret Superstars" and predicted he'd be a starter long before Bishop's release last month.

"Brad Jones impressed overall with everything he did, from taking over, run game, blitz — didn't have a chance to blitz as much as I would have liked — but his pass technique was excellent," inside linebackers coach Winston Moss said. "Anytime he was matched up, whether they were running backs, tight ends or receivers, he did an excellent job."

Even Bishop himself saw it coming. Six days before his release, Bishop was told by the Packers that Hawk and Jones were going to be the opening-day starters and that the team would release him if it couldn't find a trade partner.

"It was always a possibility. In the back of my mind, I knew," Bishop said. "But it's just one of those things you don't really want to believe. I felt like if I could get out there and practice and show my progress and show I'm better and smarter and faster, maybe they could reconsider."

The Packers, though, apparently had no reservations about going with Hawk and Jones. Once those two made it through organized team activity practices unscathed, the team released Bishop, who signed a one-year deal with the Vikings a few days later.

With Bishop and Smith gone, the position went from overcrowded to one with questionable depth. Veteran journeyman Rob Francois re-upped with a one-year deal, but converted outside linebacker Jamari Lattimore, 2012 sixth-round pick Terrell Manning and rookie seventh-round pick Sam Barrington are unproven.

Hawk, the team's 2006 first-round pick, seemed to benefit from playing fewer snaps last season, as defensive coordinator Dom Capers increasingly used his dime packages (either two down linemen, three linebackers and six defensive backs, or one down lineman, four linebackers and six DBs in the "Bat" dime unit). By keeping Hawk off the field in those situations, he did less of the one thing that isn't his strength — pass coverage — while remaining solid in all other areas.

As a result, Hawk finished the season having played only 847 snaps, even though he started all 18 games including playoffs. He was credited with a team-high 142 regular-season tackles while adding three sacks.

Despite frequent criticism from fans who felt he hadn't lived up to the status of a top-5 draft pick, Hawk, who turned 29 in January, didn't feel the season vindicated him in any way.

"I think I've always been — I'm not trying to use a big word or anything — but intrinsically motivated, from within. I think you have to be. I don't want to have to rely on outside forces to motivate me. I don't want to have to rely on you guys saying something bad about me to get me to say, 'Oh man, I'm going to prove these guys wrong.' That's such a waste of my energy," Hawk said. "I'm not trying to be this new-age guru or whatever, but I don't want to do anything just to prove someone wrong. I'm not out there to prove anything to anybody but myself. I never use anything negative. I'm not going to sit there and say, 'The media or the coaches, I can't believe what they're saying about me, I'm going to show 'em.' No. What a waste of energy, man. I'd be exhausted by the end of the day. I'm doing it for the team and for myself."

What this team needs Hawk to do now is be more of a consistent playmaker. In 110 career regular-season games, Hawk has forced just two fumbles, recovered four and tallied 13.5 sacks. Stunningly, he hasn't forced a fumble since 2007, his second NFL season. If the Packers' much-ballyhooed commitment to forcing more fumbles is going to pay off, Hawk will have to be one of the players who delivers.

Over the past five seasons, including four under Capers, Charles Woodson led the team with 12 forced fumbles, including 11 from 2009 through 2012 in the 3-4 scheme. Bishop, despite not becoming a starter until midway through the 2010 season, forced eight — three in 2008, one in 2009 and two each in 2010 and 2011 before missing all of last season. Those two have something else in common, too: They're no longer on the roster.

"It's one of those areas that we've tried to look at and place emphasis on. We need to cause more and recover more fumbles," said Capers, whose top returning fumble-causers are Matthews (seven since 2009) and safety Morgan Burnett (four since 2010). "We're trying to make a concerted effort to go for that football."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (6h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (8h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (9h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (12h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (13h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (23h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
19m / Around The NFL / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.