MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — To appreciate just how much the Green Bay Packers' cup runneth over at wide receiver last season, to understand just how blessed they were to have five wide receivers — yes, even an aging, on-the-verge-of-retirement Donald Driver — who to varying degrees were of starting caliber, no deep reading of the stat sheet is necessary.

Greg Jennings had averaged 69 receptions for 1,108 yards and nine touchdowns over the previous five seasons. In 2012, he played in just eight games, started only five, and set career lows in receptions (36) and receiving yards (366). Thanks to a torn lower abdominal muscle that could be traced to the regular-season opener, and eventually required surgery in late October.

Jennings wound up playing only 531 snaps in 10 games (including two playoff games, where 96 of his snaps were played). Compare that to the 885 snaps he played in 2008, the 917 he played in 2009, the 1,097 he played in 2010 and the 713 he played in 2011, and one would expect the Packers' passing numbers to have taken a significant dip.

Instead, quarterback Aaron Rodgers still threw for 4,295 yards (third-most of his career), still tossed 39 touchdown passes (second only to the 45 he threw in 2011), still registered a 108.0 passer rating (second-highest of his career) and still completed 67.2 percent of his throws (only his 68.3 percentage in 2011 was better).

Jennings' dip in production certainly factored into Randall Cobb's spike in production (80 receptions, 954 yards, eight TDs), and certainly James Jones' unexpected career year — he set career bests in receptions (64), receiving yards (784) and touchdown catches (an NFL-high 14) — kept the Packers' air production up.

But what was even more indicative of the team's depth was the fact that Jordy Nelson missed four full games and parts of two others with a hamstring injury, experienced a precipitous drop in his productivity and wasn't the game-breaking deep-ball threat he'd been the year before — and the Packers still ranked ninth in passing yards, second in passing touchdowns and first in team passer rating.

Now, while Cobb's ongoing ascent and Jones' continued consistency and productivity will also be vital to a passing attack that no longer has Jennings (now with the rival Minnesota Vikings) or Driver (retired) and has young, unproven commodities at the shallow end of the depth chart, Nelson returning to his 2011 form would tilt the field in the Packers' favor again, despite Jennings' departure.

"I love our weapons," Rodgers said at the end of organized team activity practices. "We have a lot of guys who can do a lot of different things for you. We have two of the top outside receivers in the league in Jordy and James. Look at the catches James made last year — incredible. Look at the production Jordy's had here for us, his ability to make second-reaction plays, his ability to go up and get the ball, his ability to hardly ever — other than last year in Minnesota — get caught from behind. Those are talented, talented football players. And then Randall in the slot, I think he's really refined his craft and become a very good slot receiver, and I think the best is yet to come with him."

The same could be said for the 28-year-old Nelson, who came on late in the Packers' Super Bowl XLV-winning season of 2010, then had one of the most efficient and impressive seasons in Packers history in 2011. Not only did he put up huge numbers — 68 receptions for 1,263 yards (an 18.6-yard average) and 15 touchdowns — but he did it while only having been targeted only 93 times (a 73.1 percent reception percentage) according to ProFootballFocus.com. Nelson only dropped three passes that season.

Last season, though, a hamstring injury that first flared up in the days leading up to an Oct. 28 victory over Jacksonville plagued him for the rest of the year. He missed games against Detroit on Dec. 9, Chicago on Dec. 16 and Tennessee on Dec. 23, then had three catches for 87 yards — but was caught from behind, as Rodgers gleefully pointed out — against Minnesota in the regular-season finale.

Nelson finished the year having played 670 snaps (including playoffs) and caught only 49 passes for 745 yards (15.2-yard average) and seven TDs — respectable numbers but not good enough for him.

"Everybody is going to talk about us missing Donald and Greg — which we will. It'll be an adjustment," Nelson said. "But we know we have an opportunity to step up, we believe in what we can do."

The Packers certainly know what Nelson can do. The three-year contract extension he signed in October 2011 still looks like an incredible bargain, with Nelson under contract for two more seasons at bargain rates of $2.7 million this year and $2.55 million in 2014.

Asked how motivated he is this year by what he dealt with last season, Nelson replied, "To me, it's stuff I can't control. I mean, it's something to be motivated, but I just have to hope I stay healthy. I trained the same way I had my whole life. And last season, for some reason, the hamstrings weren't taking it. For whatever reason. It's just all about staying healthy. A lot of people think it's about big games, but if you stay healthy and play 16 games, you're going to have a good season no matter what. That's the key. So hopefully I'll be blessed enough to stay on the field."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
I'm a little bit worried about that hamstring coming back - they got a tendency to do that. A guy like Nelson whose thing is speed going deep could be susceptible, and he can't afford to go easy on it too much.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
I am also very concerned about Jordy Nelson's health.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
DoddPower
10 years ago

I am also very concerned about Jordy Nelson's health.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Why so concerned? Is there any reason to believe he won't be 100% for training camp? Sure, hamstring injuries can linger for awhile, but if he's 100% for training camp, then I wouldn't be anymore worried than I would be for anyone else, really.

Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.