MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — To grasp just how epically disappointing Mason Crosby's 2012 season was, one only needs to rewind to what special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum was saying about him one year ago.

The Green Bay Packers kicker was coming off the best season of his five-year NFL career, justifying the five-year, $14.75 million extension he'd signed in July 2011 by making 24 of his 28 regular-season field-goal attempts for a career-best 85.7 conversion percentage. He'd also strung together a franchise-record streak of 23 consecutive made field goals in regular-season play, breaking Chris Jacke's record (17); tied his career-long field goal with a 56-yard field goal at Atlanta on Oct. 9, 2011; surpassed that kick with a 58-yarder at Minnesota on Oct. 23 to set the team record; and made the second game-winning kick of his NFL career as time expired in a 38-35 victory over the eventual Super Bowl-champion New York Giants. It was his first game-winning kick since a 42-yarder against Philadelphia in his NFL debut on Sept. 9, 2007.

"I think he's at the pinnacle of his career," Slocum said in June 2012. "He's been here five years, and physically, he's in the best shape he's ever been in, mentally he's probably in the best shape he's ever been in, because he had the type of success he had last season. I just see him moving forward being a very positive factor."

Or, not.

Instead, Crosby wound up having the worst year of his career in 2012, finishing the regular season ranked last in the NFL in field-goal accuracy, making only 63.6 percent of his kicks (21 of 33) — and that was with him making his last four field-goal attempts of the regular season. While the Packers opted not to bring in competition for him during the season, when he missed at least one kick in nine consecutive games in which he had an attempt, the team signed ex-University of California kicker Giorgio Tavecchio during the offseason to compete with Crosby when training camp kicks off on July 26.

"I can't focus on what anyone else is doing. Whether a guy is here or not here I'm always competing against someone else out there, so for me, it's really focusing on what I can do and how I can be consistent and perform," Crosby said as organized team activity practices wrapped up last month. "I think the competition is good, seeing someone kick. If he's making kicks and I'm continuing to hit mine through, then we kind of just go back and forth. It's good to be pushed and I'm happy with that. … I think the competition breeds that and I'm thankful for that."

Not that Crosby really has a choice. Despite his struggles, the Packers' offense only fell to fifth in the NFL in scoring, averaging 27.1 points per game. Although that was an appreciable dip from their NFL-leading 35.0 points per game in 2011, only New England (34.8), Denver (30.1), New Orleans (28.8) and Washington (27.3) put up more points than they did. Had Crosby simply made half of the kicks he missed, those 18 points would have moved the Packers ahead of Washington into fourth place with 28.2 points per game.

The good news was that Crosby ended the year having made six field goals in a row. He made 26- and 48-yarders in the Packers' Dec. 23 victory over Tennessee, then made 51- and 40-yarders at Minnesota in the Dec. 30 regular-season finale. He also made both of his playoff kicks: A 20-yarder against the Vikings in the NFC Wild Card Playoffs and a 31-yarder at San Francisco in the Packers' season-ending loss to the 49ers in the NFC Divisional Playoffs.

"Practice, in the weight room, everything I'm doing, I'm focusing on being sharp, being in that moment and taking advantage of that opportunity. I think it's going to carry me a long way," Crosby said. "Through (struggles) like that there's been successes and failures and careers. And mine, especially this last season you can look at that. For me, I build off of that. I'm learning from it. For me, I can look at the things that I didn't like that I did during the season and I can eliminate those and really focus on the good things, the positives. And it's easy for me to see those positives through all of it and build off of that."

It will also be interesting to see how Crosby responds in training camp to having Tavecchio is on the roster. Barring a last-minute roster move before camp, Tavecchio will be giving Crosby his first head-to-head training-camp competition since Crosby won the job from incumbent Dave Rayner in 2007 as a rookie sixth-round pick from Colorado.

"Obviously the organization sticking behind me kept building that confidence," Crosby said. "For me, I never lost it. I never lost it in my head. I just kept going out every day trying to do the things I know best and work on those details.

"I finished the season how I wanted to. I'm carrying that over into the offseason and making sure that I eliminate any of those things that might have popped up during the season last year."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

dfosterf
10 years ago
Lord, he was easy to hate so many times in 2012. I still say he isn't as whacky as most kickers, and the way Mike McCarthy dealt with it (the misses) gave me a new-found level of respect for him as a head coach. I have ALWAYS liked Mike McCarthy very much as a head coach, but I have been known to tease him a bit regarding his press conferences and referring to him as the former toll-taker on the PA turnpike when I'm pissed at him. (As an owner, you understand 😆 )

I just like the guy. (Mason) I can't help it. I know he's well-hated by many, and I understand, but I have faith in the young man. I just do.
agopackgo4
10 years ago
I never hated Crosby..I felt bad for him at times last year. But the dude has to make the damn kicks. If he can't, there are always Dave Rayner's out there who can knock them through more times than not!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (5h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (6h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (23h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.