Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MintBaconDrivel  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 8:15:29 AM(UTC)
MintBaconDrivel

United States

Applause Received: 97

JSOnline Blog wrote:
Green Bay — The label irritates Randall Cobb. Even if people are praising the receiver, not criticizing the him, he isn't a fan of the "slot receiver" title.

Message modified by moderator Monday, July 15, 2013 8:39:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline texaspackerbacker  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 8:51:40 AM(UTC)
texaspackerbacker

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2014

United States

Applause Given: 494
Applause Received: 304

My answer is Yes. I think Ross can do about as good a job as Cobb. Johnson and Dorsey, maybe even others are possibilities, but IMO, the difference between now and the bad old days is more about overall talent for special teams on the roster and/or better coaching.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Offline OlHoss1884  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 4:15:46 PM(UTC)
OlHoss1884

United States

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 173

Yes, absolutely, and I don't like them running him up the middle now, either...you want a speedy guy for that, use Harris. I like him better where he's being chased by safeties and nickel backs instead of linebackers getting shots at him.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 7/15/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 4:44:21 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I believe so. He's our #1 slot receiver. Why risk his health using him on returns.
Offline nerdmann  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 8:36:31 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,784
Applause Received: 674

If he gets hurt, there's gonna be alot of pissed off GB fans.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Online dfosterf  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:16:11 AM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 211
Applause Received: 435

Yes.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 7/16/2013(UTC)
Offline Yerko  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:38:10 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 164
Applause Received: 269

I would say yes. Randall Cobb is going to be the Packers top receiver in years to come and an injury can cripple the WR core.
Ross should be capable enough to take over the returner position, allowing Cobb to have 100% focus on offense.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:54:57 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,988
Applause Received: 2,283

No, unless someone else can give the Packers equal or better field position as consistently as he does on Kick and Punt Returns.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline sschind  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:29:29 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 129
Applause Received: 468

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
No, unless someone else can give the Packers equal or better field position as consistently as he does on Kick and Punt Returns.

Personally I hope Ross (or anyone else for that matter) develops into the type of return man that will allow the Packers to take those duties away from Cobb but until he shows that he can do it I say no.

I know prevailing wisdom says don't use your top position players as returners but how many times do kick returners actually get hurt? One of the Bears biggest mistakes was to take the return duties away from Hester to try to make him a receiver. Now I am not saying in any way shape or form that Hester ever had Cobb's talents as a receiver or that Cobb has Hester's talent as a return man (although I am sure some homer will say Cobb is a better return man than Hester) I am not saying that at all. I think you put the best guys for the position on the field no matter what it is and right now Cobb is our best return man

If someone shows that they can be a consistent as Cobb in the return duties then by all means make the change and reduce the risk. On the other hand if you take away potential field position just because you are afraid the guy might get hurt I think you are playing from a position of playing not to lose. In games that are out of reach put someone else back there. If Cobb is not 100% put someone else back there. If the game doesn't matter for playoff seeding or whatever, put someone else back there but in the case where the game matters or is still on the line you put your best return man out there.

You put Cobb back there and he gets hurt and yeah, you will have some pissed off Packers fans but if you put other guys back there and the fumble or our return game sucks those fans won't be too happy either.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:19:11 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

How good would Green have been last year if it wasn't for the knee injury in '11?

Wasn't worth it imo. Not even close. And Cobb's gonna be central to our offense this year, by all accounts.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DoddPower  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:43:05 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 2,169
Applause Received: 547

Yeah, I'm just not very convinced that the net gain of having Randall Cobb returning kicks is worth the net loss that would occur should he get injured on special teams. Just like we often hear about managing running backs carries to not wear them out over the course of the season, the same logic should apply to Randall Cobb, imo. Even if the logic of taking him off of special teams isn't to minimize injury opportunities (which is solid reasoning), simply limiting his touches is an important management decision for the coaching staff to consider. Cobb needs to be fresh and healthy late in the season, and special teams isn't going to help that. I think I would rather POTENTIALLY (but not definitely) lose a little explosion from my kick returner and maintain the explosion that Cobb provides on offense. Sure, keeping him as the returner doesn't necessarily mean he would lose any explosion on offense, but it's definitely not going to help. I feel as if someone such as J. Ross et al. could still provide a solid returner option so Cobb could focus on becoming a dominating offensive weapon. Cobb is going to help the Packers the most on offense anyway, so it would be tough to convince me that anything that potentially hinders his offensive contributions is worth it.

The exact same reasoning could be applied to Clay Mathews (or several other starters). I think it's safe to assume that CM3 would be a better special teams contributor than some of the young guys. However, it seems to be recognized that the added repetitions on his body isn't worth the perceived slight increase in special team production.

I do agree with the argument that if Cobb truly is SUBSTANTIALLY better than any other returner option (and I mean it isn't even remotely close), then it should be strongly considered. I would still probably choose to have him focus on offense though, simply because I think that's the way he contributes the most to the Green Bay Packers.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
play2win on 7/17/2013(UTC), wpr on 7/17/2013(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:09:53 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

I don't want blue chippers on ST, period.

Yes, Johnathan Franklin is a rookie. ST is a way to get him on the field. But I still, just don't like it.

Let a marginal player make the team via ST. You hate to think of certain players as disposable, but the fact is, some players have proven themselves more than others. Even if it was college production.

Let somebody who has potential, use that spot to prove themselves.

That said, I still don't like a rookie on PR in the playoffs.
Offline yooperfan  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:00:40 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 673
Applause Received: 320

Unless everyone else fails as a return man, I don't see Cobb on special teams anymore.
Offline play2win  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 5:15:11 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Good arguments for and against. This shows how important it is to have a dangerous return man back there at all times. I hope we find another in our group of players as good as Cobb. Worst case scenario, we still have Cobb to use back there in a pinch.

How many top skill position players in NFL history were also exceptional returners?

Tim Brown comes to mind. Hershel Walker. Deon Sanders... Didn't stop them from returning kicks.
Offline sschind  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:15:06 PM(UTC)
sschind

United States

Applause Given: 129
Applause Received: 468

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Good arguments for and against. This shows how important it is to have a dangerous return man back there at all times. I hope we find another in our group of players as good as Cobb. Worst case scenario, we still have Cobb to use back there in a pinch.

How many top skill position players in NFL history were also exceptional returners?

Tim Brown comes to mind. Hershel Walker. Deon Sanders... Didn't stop them from returning kicks.

I thought of Brown as well but a quick search showed that he didn't return many punts in his last 5 years. I'm not sure if this is because of his value as the Raiders #1 receiver or if they had found someone else who was as capable. Still, from 1993 through 1996 when he came into the forefront as a raiders receiver he was their main return guy as well.

Like I said, I hope someone, Ross perhaps or Franklin, or anyone, steps up and takes the return duties away from Cobb. If no one can do the job as well as he can however I still think he should be the guy back there.

I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Rss Feed