DoddPower
10 years ago
Yeah, I'm just not very convinced that the net gain of having Randall Cobb returning kicks is worth the net loss that would occur should he get injured on special teams. Just like we often hear about managing running backs carries to not wear them out over the course of the season, the same logic should apply to Randall Cobb, imo. Even if the logic of taking him off of special teams isn't to minimize injury opportunities (which is solid reasoning), simply limiting his touches is an important management decision for the coaching staff to consider. Cobb needs to be fresh and healthy late in the season, and special teams isn't going to help that. I think I would rather POTENTIALLY (but not definitely) lose a little explosion from my kick returner and maintain the explosion that Cobb provides on offense. Sure, keeping him as the returner doesn't necessarily mean he would lose any explosion on offense, but it's definitely not going to help. I feel as if someone such as J. Ross et al. could still provide a solid returner option so Cobb could focus on becoming a dominating offensive weapon. Cobb is going to help the Packers the most on offense anyway, so it would be tough to convince me that anything that potentially hinders his offensive contributions is worth it.

The exact same reasoning could be applied to Clay Mathews (or several other starters). I think it's safe to assume that CM3 would be a better special teams contributor than some of the young guys. However, it seems to be recognized that the added repetitions on his body isn't worth the perceived slight increase in special team production.

I do agree with the argument that if Cobb truly is SUBSTANTIALLY better than any other returner option (and I mean it isn't even remotely close), then it should be strongly considered. I would still probably choose to have him focus on offense though, simply because I think that's the way he contributes the most to the Green Bay Packers.
nerdmann
10 years ago
I don't want blue chippers on ST, period.

Yes, Johnathan Franklin is a rookie. ST is a way to get him on the field. But I still, just don't like it.

Let a marginal player make the team via ST. You hate to think of certain players as disposable, but the fact is, some players have proven themselves more than others. Even if it was college production.

Let somebody who has potential, use that spot to prove themselves.

That said, I still don't like a rookie on PR in the playoffs.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
yooperfan
10 years ago
Unless everyone else fails as a return man, I don't see Cobb on special teams anymore.
play2win
10 years ago
Good arguments for and against. This shows how important it is to have a dangerous return man back there at all times. I hope we find another in our group of players as good as Cobb. Worst case scenario, we still have Cobb to use back there in a pinch.

How many top skill position players in NFL history were also exceptional returners?

Tim Brown comes to mind. Hershel Walker. Deon Sanders... Didn't stop them from returning kicks.
sschind
10 years ago

Good arguments for and against. This shows how important it is to have a dangerous return man back there at all times. I hope we find another in our group of players as good as Cobb. Worst case scenario, we still have Cobb to use back there in a pinch.

How many top skill position players in NFL history were also exceptional returners?

Tim Brown comes to mind. Hershel Walker. Deon Sanders... Didn't stop them from returning kicks.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I thought of Brown as well but a quick search showed that he didn't return many punts in his last 5 years. I'm not sure if this is because of his value as the Raiders #1 receiver or if they had found someone else who was as capable. Still, from 1993 through 1996 when he came into the forefront as a raiders receiver he was their main return guy as well.

Like I said, I hope someone, Ross perhaps or Franklin, or anyone, steps up and takes the return duties away from Cobb. If no one can do the job as well as he can however I still think he should be the guy back there.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

No, unless someone else can give the Packers equal or better field position as consistently as he does on Kick and Punt Returns.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

The answer you are looking for is "yes".

There is very little difference between the stats for the leading return men and the average returners.

Dodd said it, as much or more than injuries is the wear and tear he would face on ST. I don't want to see him sit out a play or two in order to catch his breath because he had to return the ball first.

There were 22 players that had 20 or more returns. Jacoby Jones lead the group with a 30.7 average. The lowest was 21.3 by Stefan Logan. The middle was around 25.4 which was Cobb's average. He was 11th out 22. We are probably only looking at a 5 yard difference between Cobb and who ever his replacement is. It really isn't that significant. All 22 players only accounted for 8 tds all year.

punt returns will have an even smaller difference in return yards.
UserPostedImage
agopackgo4
10 years ago
I've always said about Cobb that he is an extremely vaulauble WR. As many of you have already pointed out... But to me, even more, he is a valuable FOOTBALL player. He's the type of guy who can have so many demensions. I have always been a fan of keeping him on special teams. Part of what makes Cobb special is that he can play WR and return and he doesn't help the team out in 1 spot, but two. I have never wanted that aspect of his overall value taken away. That being said, there is no point in keeping him on if Ross can do the job. Most of my thoughts on Cobb were before Ross came along. If he can do it, then by all means.
PackerTraxx
10 years ago
I'll vote Yes. Hopefully we can find someone who can catch the ball.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (10h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.