DoddPower
10 years ago

The only reason they moved Bulaga to the right side, was because he had shorter arms than Sherrod.

Bulaga doesn't even make my list of worries about this team.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I think he'll be OK to average over the course of the entire season at left tackle, which means sometimes he'll be pretty damn good, and others he'll be pretty damn bad.

Overall, I'm still expecting an average offensive line, at best, and that's without any injuries. That's enough for the Packers to compete, but it doesn't make things easy.

Bulaga would probably be a better overall player at RT, but the Packers are desperate for better play at LT, so they are willing to take that risk, apparently. Hopefully it works out.
OlHoss1884
10 years ago
I am also a little less concerned about some of the pass protection with the theoretically better RB's making their life easier. Years ago, John Madden wrote in his book that he always liked drafting OL and Al Davis always liked drafting DB's, and that worked for those great Raider teams because those were the hardest positions to adjust to at the pro level. For as much as I like TT's drafts and the all over depth of the team, OL seems to be less than his strong suit. Even with devoting high round picks to some at these positions, we never seem to get much better along the line. I hope that trend changes going forward or A-Rod is going to have a much shorter career than I would like.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
beast
10 years ago

The only reason they moved Bulaga to the right side, was because he had shorter arms than Sherrod.

Bulaga doesn't even make my list of worries about this team.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I thought they moved Bulaga to RT because they had a healthy LT Clifton and an injury RT Tausher.

I think they kept Bulaga over there because he's clearly a top RT in the NFL and because the other OTs (Newhouse Sherrod) didn't have near the power and might struggle more against powerful bull rushers which they might see more of on the right side.

UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

I echo some of these thoughts. Bulaga gets a bad rap because of one-half of football against Seattle. Beyond that half, he's been a rock solid player for this organization since 2011. The tape bares this out.

My worry, however, is that you're taking a very good right tackle and exchanging him for an average left tackle. Baltimore did this with Michael Oher, who didn't have the technique or quickness to play the left side. It stunted his growth and he hasn't been the same player since (on left or right side).

Bulaga has the intelligence and technique to play the position, but I'm not sure the natural ability is there. I worry the Packers are taking him down the same path Baltimore did with Oher.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

I tend to disagree with this. Bulaga was really good in 2011. However, in 2012, he was fairly bad BEFORE his injury knocked him out for the season. Maybe he was somehow playing hurt, but that wasn't ever publicized, so the big question in my mind is can he get back to 2011 form? I'm about 63% sure that he can and will.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
agopackgo4
10 years ago
[quote=yooperfan;250720]I'm not a big fan of Bulaga but hopefully he will be better than Newhouse who I'm definitely not a fan of.
quote]

If he will be better than Newhouse shouldn't even be a question
yooperfan
10 years ago
[quote=agopackgo4;250936][quote=yooperfan;250720]I'm not a big fan of Bulaga but hopefully he will be better than Newhouse who I'm definitely not a fan of.
quote]

If he will be better than Newhouse shouldn't even be a question[/quote

You are right, just about every tackle in the NFL is better than Newhouse.
Bulaga will be a better left tackle.
I lost my head there for a second.

Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
My thoughts on the OL are probably pretty well known, but I haven't stated them in a month or so.....

Newhouse: Average. Substantially better at RT than LT. I think his biggest problem at LT was that he was still thinking too much instead of moving naturally,and that slowed his movement. I think he won't have that over-thinking problem on the right side. I'm okay with this move, as he will be more of a positive contributor than he was.
Lang: Overrated. Mediocre at LG. Hopefully will be better at RG. Position will definitely be worse. Hopefully he will be no more of a negative on right than on left.
Dietrich-Smith: Serviceable. Nothing to get excited about for bad or good.
Sitton: A stud at RG. Hopefully he'll be a stud at LG, too. But part of me says the net effect will be downgrade (the loss of Sitton at RG won't be made up, quite, by the improvement at LG as he learns the new position).
Bulaga: If not for Lang, IMO would be most overrated player on the line. I just don't see what everyone else seems to have seen in 2011. I thought he was an average RT. I think Newhouse at RT may prove better than Bulaga, and I don't think he will be worse. Maybe Bulaga's one of those guys who will be better at LT than at RT. And event if he isn't, he may well be better at LT than Newhouse was.

Back-ups: I refuse to get excited about what is, in the end, nothing more than "potential" as yet unrealized. If they come on and perform well when needed, I'll be happy. If one of them beats out Lang, I wouldn't be surprised. And, who knows, maybe the team will get lucky and find a Sitton-esque talent among them to replace Bulaga and/or Newhouse. But I'm not going to expect any of that. I see them as "potential" now, and I expect that's what most of them will still be in both October and January.

And one thing I just don't buy from Thompson/McCarthy/Campen on the OL anymore is the "great potential" argument when it is made about an offensive lineman.

Summary: I'll be ecstatic if an improvement is somehow found for Lang. I'm very leery of moving the all-pro Sitton because it may negate some of the contribution by the one undeniable stud on the line. I'm not sold on either Bulaga or Newhouse, but have no problem with the switch since I don't see anyone better than either on the roster yet.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
My thoughts on the OL are probably pretty well known, but I haven't stated them in a month or so.....

Newhouse: Average. Substantially better at RT than LT. I think his biggest problem at LT was that he was still thinking too much instead of moving naturally,and that slowed his movement. I think he won't have that over-thinking problem on the right side. I'm okay with this move, as he will be more of a positive contributor than he was.
Lang: Overrated. Mediocre at LG. Hopefully will be better at RG. Position will definitely be worse. Hopefully he will be no more of a negative on right than on left.
Sitton: A stud at RG. Hopefully he'll be a stud at LG, too. But part of me says the net effect will be downgrade (the loss of Sitton at RG won't be made up, quite, by the improvement at LG as he learns the new position).
Bulaga: If not for Lang, IMO would be most overrated player on the line. I just don't see what everyone else seems to have seen in 2011. I thought he was an average RT. I think Newhouse at RT may prove better than Bulaga, and I don't think he will be worse. Maybe Bulaga's one of those guys who will be better at LT than at RT. And event if he isn't, he may well be better at LT than Newhouse was.

Back-ups: I refuse to get excited about what is, in the end, nothing more than "potential" as yet unrealized. If they come on and perform well when needed, I'll be happy. If one of them beats out Lang, I wouldn't be surprised. And, who knows, maybe the team will get lucky and find a Sitton-esque talent among them to replace Bulaga and/or Newhouse. But I'm not going to expect any of that. I see them as "potential" now, and I expect that's what most of them will still be in both October and January.

And one thing I just don't buy from Thompson/McCarthy/Campen on the OL anymore is the "great potential" argument when it is made about an offensive lineman.

Summary: I'll be ecstatic if an improvement is somehow found for Lang. I'm very leery of moving the all-pro Sitton because it may negate some of the contribution by the one undeniable stud on the line. I'm not sold on either Bulaga or Newhouse, but have no problem with the switch since I don't see anyone better than either on the roster yet.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DoddPower
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Brian Bulaga undoubtedly played very well many times. I really don't how some missed that. He definitely had a couple of bad games in 2012, and then got hurt. I'm certainly not going to use a few bad games to judge a player as a whole, and the play calling also has to take at least a small percentage of that blame. Bulaga was integral to a Super Bowl run and win, and played very well for stretches. He was somewhat inconsistent, but how many offensive linemen aren't? Perhaps the elite players, but there aren't many of those and most teams won't have even one, especially when drafting late every year. Make no mistake, Bulaga was a good to very good right tackle, and at times, even better. Some exceptions here and there doesn't change that.

With that being said, I don't expect him to be as good at left tackle, unfortunately. I guess I can understand the logic of doing so, but I think Bulaga is much better suited for the right side, just as Newhouse probably is. It's a fairly typical problem in the NFL. There just aren't many really good left tackles out there, which is why the most recent draft panned out as it did.

As I said, I will never expect anything other than an average offensive line under the current coaching structure. Average is probably the best-case scenario. Hopefully they can actually achieve average, because if they do, the Packers will be right in the mix of contenders.
nerdmann
10 years ago
Lang is gonna bust out this year. Keep in mind, he played one armed most of last season.

As for Bulaga, I'm not even concerned.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.