MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — Nick Perry walked into the locker room after an organized team activity practice last month and there was impossible not to notice how different he looked. It had been harder while he was on the field, even though he was only wearing a jersey, shorts and a helmet, but in normal civilian clothes — a fitted t-shirt and sweats — the difference was striking.

You look great, someone told him.

"Oh yeah? Thank you," the Green Bay Packers second-year outside linebacker replied with a smile. "Just playing games out there, it takes a toll on you, having all that weight on you running around. So I trimmed down a little bit, but I'm still strong, still explosive. Those things might even be multiplied. It's just been taking care of my body and looking forward to the season. Everything is going good. I feel great."

And others have noticed the change in appearance, too.

"Absolutely. He looks different, he moves different," outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene said. "To me, he moves with more of a sense of urgency and purpose. His eyes are different. His jaw set, his gaze is different. I can just look in his face and look in his eyes and see that he's not happy with what transpired last year and he's determined not to let that happen again. I really feel good about where Nick is at this point."

On the team roster at Packers.com, Perry is still listed at 6-foot-3 and 265 pounds, although it's possible the website staff hasn't gotten updated heights and weights yet in advance of Friday's opening training-camp practice. The Packers' 2012 first-round draft pick estimated he was "probably around 260-ish" at OTAs, meaning he had to have been playing at or north of 270 last season. That, of course, would make sense, since coming out of USC Perry was hoping to go to a 4-3 defense where he could play defensive end.

"I just came in bigger," Perry said of last season. "I thought that I felt comfortable playing the position."

Whatever his weight was, Perry was just starting to look more comfortable at outside linebacker when his season ended. He left the Oct. 14 game at Houston with a knee injury, but it turned out it wasn't his knee that was the problem — it was his wrist, which he'd injured in the Sept. 9 regular-season opener and played through. He wound up undergoing season-ending surgery that week and wasn't heard from again.

Now, the Packers not only need him healthy, but need him to be the difference-making player they hoped they were getting when they took him in the first round. The team is conspicuously thin at the position — after Perry and Clay Matthews, only Dezman Moses is a quasi-proven commodity. (Inside linebackers Brad Jones and Jamari Lattimore were moved from the outside and could move back in a pinch.)

"When it was taken away, it was devastating, just because I never have been out. So I was pretty bitter and pretty pissed that I couldn't get on the field and help," Perry said of last season. "Now, I'm back, back in the mix of things, and I'm still, I still have a (monkey) on my back because I still have something to prove, I have to stay healthy and do what I need to do."

While they knew there would be growing pains as he transitioned to outside linebacker, it appeared Perry was turning the corner at the time of his injury. Against the Indianapolis Colts on Oct. 7, not only did he have a violent sack of quarterback Andrew Luck (one that drew a questionable personal foul and fine) but he also showed what he could do in coverage, working against the tight end but also carrying wide receiver Reggie Wayne downfield on a play. For a guy who looked completely out of sorts the first time he dropped into coverage at the rookie orientation camp and still in training camp, it was a significant step forward.

"I think that's as good as it gets. He carried the wide receiver vertical in a hip-trail position. He covered the tight end outside-in and covered him on a center route and Clay comes in and got a sack on it," Greene said. "Yeah, he can do everything he needs to do."

Although Perry won't have to do everything wearing the protective cast that he wore throughout OTAs and minicamp — and will wear for every training-camp practice, too — he said he will always wear something to protect himself.

"I do that (wear a cast) only in practice. I'm doing everything else without it," Perry said. "Things are coming along great. I'm just trying to protect myself out here because freak accidents can happen any given day. It won't be a cast like that (in games), but most importantly protecting myself with anything I'm doing now, just my first time having surgery, I want to make sure I'm protecting my body. You have to protect your hands."

Perry finished his rookie season having played 211 snaps, per ProFootballFocus.com. He was credited by the Packers with 29 tackles and two sacks in six games — numbers that all must go up for the defense to be better this season. ProFootballFocus.com also had him for 10 quarterback hurries, one batted pass and zero missed tackles. The question is how much his growth was stunted by the time he missed.

"Well, that remains to be seen," Greene said. "If he comes back and has a great year this year, which is our hope, last year will be a distant memory."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
This one I endorse.

The success of Nick Perry will do more to improve the Packers than any other single factor. It will be interesting to see who is higher than #6, but I ranked Perry #1 in the thread about who will make the biggest difference or whatever, and also who will break out.

Certainly he can't be ranked higher than Rodgers, Matthews, or a few others, but he is right up there in importance IF he performs like we all hope. I like what I read about him too.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
warhawk
10 years ago

This one I endorse.

The success of Nick Perry will do more to improve the Packers than any other single factor. It will be interesting to see who is higher than #6, but I ranked Perry #1 in the thread about who will make the biggest difference or whatever, and also who will break out.

Certainly he can't be ranked higher than Rodgers, Matthews, or a few others, but he is right up there in importance IF he performs like we all hope. I like what I read about him too.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I put Perry AHEAD of Mathews and Rodgers because I EXPECT guys like that to continue doing what they do at level as high or higher than in the past. Perry makes Mathews and all the Dline better if he's a force out there.

I totally agree with your #1 ranking of Perry.

"The train is leaving the station."
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
Everyone talks about the hits on Luck but the first 'hmmm' moment I had when watching Perry was the game against Seattle and his sack on Wilson. Someone finally put it up on youtube

It's a little different than I remembered as I thought Perry was blocked a little more downfield but gist is the same: Wilson feels pressure coming, tries to GTFO of the pocket and Perry accelerates and just hauls him in from behind
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
DoddPower
10 years ago

Everyone talks about the hits on Luck but the first 'hmmm' moment I had when watching Perry was the game against Seattle and his sack on Wilson. Someone finally put it up on youtube

It's a little different than I remembered as I thought Perry was blocked a little more downfield but gist is the same: Wilson feels pressure coming, tries to GTFO of the pocket and Perry accelerates and just hauls him in from behind

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

That was some nice contain by Perry. The Packers could have desperately used more of that in the playoffs and throughout the regular season.

I've been a Perry fan from the beginning. He's an athletic freak, and can rush the passer. He might not be the best in space, but so long as he can pass rush, he will be very valuable to the Packers.
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

That was some nice contain by Perry. The Packers could have desperately used more of that in the playoffs and throughout the regular season.

I've been a Perry fan from the beginning. He's an athletic freak, and can rush the passer. He might not be the best in space, but so long as he can pass rush, he will be very valuable to the Packers.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

The more I watch that clip the more I drool over :10-12. That speed and athleticism!
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
nerdmann
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Walden never maintained outside containment in his entire life. You don't think Kaepernick and the boys saw that on tape?

George Koonce 2.0 baby!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
10 years ago

Walden never maintained outside containment in his entire life. You don't think Kaepernick and the boys saw that on tape?

George Koonce 2.0 baby!

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Walden was/is terrible.
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Amen. Walden got exposed as a liability big time last season. It was not shocking when we let him go. Moses was a much more capable back up.

Perry is a damn impressive athletic individual. I really hope he stays healthy.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
PackerTraxx
10 years ago
I did and do have very high hopes for Perry.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
dhazer (7m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.