MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — Mike McCarthy knew exactly where all the chippiness came from in practice Sunday.

"I'm sure it had something to do with the head coach's speech the other night," the Green Bay Packers coach said before rolling his eyes and making the kind of face he probably sees from his young daughters from time to time.

In reality, while McCarthy didn't sound worried and didn't read his players the riot act after practice, the coach was bothered by the number of times his guys crossed the line in the first padded practice of training camp — even though he knew some instances were unavoidable because of the increased intensity that comes with being in pads.

"The message I had for the team after practice was I thought the adrenaline was very high and I thought the discipline level was very low," McCarthy said, sharing with reporters what he'd told his team in the post-practice huddle 15 minutes earlier. "I think you get into that usually when you put the pads on for the first time. So it was great to get that competitive environment established.

"I thought they definitely practiced with an edge. We had too much extracurricular activities going on. That falls under your category of 'player safety.' We have to practice better together, something that you don't do every night. This is a normal progression you go through every year in training camp. But I thought our guys came out on the high side of playing with an edge and that's exactly what we want."

It started early on in the first 11-on-11 period, when rookie inside linebacker Sam Barrington came up and whacked wide receiver Jeremy Ross on a pass in the right flat, knocking Ross to the turf rather than wrapping him up and keeping him off the ground. That incurred the wrath of McCarthy, who gave Barrington an earful. Inside linebackers coach Winston Moss then played the good cop and put his arm around Barrington and spoke to him.

There were a number of other instances where players wound up on the ground, including when one of the defensive linemen walloped wide receiver Tyrone Walker from behind on a pass across the middle and a skirmish involving defensive end Johnny Jolly that escalated briefly. Jolly and guard Josh Sitton were then seen jawing at each other.

"That's the balance you look for every year, the balance I think you have to just really work at," McCarthy said. "We were definitely on the high end today, but we'll be all right."

Guard T.J. Lang said McCarthy made his position known without overdoing it.

"He said something after practice. It didn't sound like he was too upset with us," Lang said. "I think that's just what you've got to expect the first day of pads when you've got 90 guys out there competing for a few spots. That stuff's going to happen, guys are going to get hit and we just have to make sure that we're taking care of our guys.

"You love the physicality, you love the toughness, but at the same time you don't want to be tackling guys or pushing guys down. That could cause other injuries if a guy falls in to somebody else's legs. I'm sure we'll look at it tonight as a group and try to get it fixed and come back out on the field on Tuesday."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

nerdmann
10 years ago
Our defense NEEDS a little attitude.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
10 years ago
Getting chippy with it? ... well if they're doing musical timeouts,
at least now I know what music they'll be playing to break up fights.

Getting chippy with it
Na na na na nana na
Na na na na na na na nana
Na na na na nana na
Getting chippy with it

UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
I think a player or two broke man code out there by hitting on routes but the fighting during drills or 1 on 1s sounds good to me.

Mike will reign it in as needed. We don't need these to lead to creating penalties out on the field, but if it gives us a better edge going into the season and can be sustained, that is what it is all about.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
DoddPower
10 years ago
I love that Jolly was sparring with Sitton. I'm sure they are cool, but that is the type of energy Jolly brings. A "no one is going to fuck with me" type of attitude. Frankly, I haven't seen that type of attitude in awhile. I'm not sure about Jolly's physical ability anymore, but I know he brings an energy to the field that the Packers defense could use. I also remember him motioning for the crowd to cheer often, which I also liked. That mentality can be very important during the war that is an NFL game. Sometimes (if not often), a defense needs players that are just pissed off, and show it on the field.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

I love that Jolly was sparring with Sitton. I'm sure they are cool, but that is the type of energy Jolly brings. A "no one is going to fuck with me" type of attitude. Frankly, I haven't seen that type of attitude in awhile. I'm not sure about Jolly's physical ability anymore, but I know he brings an energy to the field that the Packers defense could use. I also remember him motioning for the crowd to cheer often, which I also liked. That mentality can be very important during the war that is an NFL game. Sometimes (if not often), a defense needs players that are just pissed off, and show it on the field.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

One of the reasons I admire Jack Lambert's work. I envision him as someone who was pissed off at the world and everyone in for about 60 minutes a week.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Yes, I remember before the season that I said that I wanted more "jerks" on the team... "nice jerks". I am pleased with our recent selections.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
DoddPower
10 years ago

One of the reasons I admire Jack Lambert's work. I envision him as someone who was pissed off at the world and everyone in for about 60 minutes a week.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Sometimes I feel as if the Packers are too measured and disciplined. That's obviously a good thing most of the time in almost all professions, but the NFL is a little different. Sometimes it's very useful to have someone that is pissed off and angry, and such can be galvanizing for a team. I understand it will resort in some missed assignments and penalties, but if it keeps up the energy level up and the intensity of the defense high, I'm OK with that . . . occasionally.
Pack93z
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Wayne Simmons always comes to mind in conversations like that.. but I think that guy might have been perpetually pissed off, lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.