DoddPower
10 years ago

Here is my question for those that say he should not have said Braun lied..

What direction do you suppose the media types are going to run with that? ... At least a few will start to ask the questions of "Was Rodgers involved in it?"

There is no way with the amount of tree climbing on thin vines of speculation that the media types are doing in this case.. that someone wouldn't or still may not take that angle.

By making this strong statement.. it is Rodgers word that he is among the rest of the world which wanted to believe Braun but was left disappointed that his words now appear ever so hollow.

I think one has to at the very least create a level of distance from Braun publicly.. stating the truth (if that is the case) is probably the best policy at the moment. IMO.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

At the very least, he could have been a little less verbose and specific about it, imo. But overall, it all comes back to he should have never spoke like he did from the beginning, and none of this would have ever been an issue. I don't get why many celebrities fail to understand this.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Ryan Braun repeatedly told Aaron Rodgers he was innocent.
Rodgers trusted that word.
Rodgers went overboard defending that word.
Braun is now admitting guilt, therefore confessing to have lied to fans, his family and his friends.
Rodgers is disappointed that his good friend, his business partner lied to him.

Look, its as simple as this. If you do not want your friends to publicly (or otherwise) say you lied to them. It's simple. Follow along here. Are you paying attention? Okay, here we go. DON'T FUCKING LIE! Yes, it is that simple.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
10 years ago

But overall, it all comes back to he should have never spoke like he did from the beginning, and none of this would have ever been an issue. .

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Here I will agree.. although we have to remember the circumstances there as well.. Braun's test should never have been leaked prior to the appeal. MLB failed on that account, and the media ran Braun through the weeds (in hindsight, apparently rightfully)... and then the appeal was upheld. From that standpoint the world should never have known about the positive test at that point.

Where was the outrage that the test was leaked? That is the standpoint in which Rodgers went off... a player had the legal right to that process..

Even then though.. I agree he should have, at the very least been more tactful about it in support. Rodgers admitted that and more than likely (hopefully) heeds that moving forward.

But there is no way Rodgers cannot distance himself from Braun at the moment.

For all we know.. Braun may be supporting this stance if the two have talked..

But either way.. yes Rodgers needs to pull back the reigns in talking about other peoples personal affairs.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

Where was the outrage that the test was leaked? That is the standpoint in which Rodgers went off... a player had the legal right to that process..

From the get go, that point was something that irritated me. It was to be kept quiet until after the appeal process and only made public if not over turned. Guilty by association in the eye of the public. And I bet that is why MLB (plus Aaron Rodgers, NFL MVP) being so vocal in Braun's defense is why they kept after him.

UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago

At the very least, he could have been a little less verbose and specific about it, imo. But overall, it all comes back to he should have never spoke like he did from the beginning, and none of this would have ever been an issue. I don't get why many celebrities fail to understand this.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

The problem with that is if he doesn't make a strong comment on it they would certainly make an issue out of it going forward. With the way he left it now it's not an issue any more and cannot become a distraction (there are more important things on the Rodgers agenda atm I would think). Any way I would bet something similar to that is what Rodgers' PR people advised him.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
I dunno. If I were another of AR's "friends" right now, I'd be quietly re-assessing the quality of his friendship with me.

Ok, I get it. He feels betrayed. He's been lied to by a friend. Maybe their friendship has died. Maybe Braun is just another athlete scumbag.

But, as he said, everyone makes mistakes. And, sure as God made the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, Rodgers is not the first person who has been lied to by one of his friends. I've made a helluva lot bigger mistakes, mistakes that I might lie about to my friends, too, depending on the pressures on me.

And I'd sure as hell might lie about them to any "friend" I thought might abandon me if "the truth came out". Because if he's going to abandon me for a lie in protection of my livelihood, I'm pretty sure he's going to abandon me when he finds out about *my* real skeletons.

And as far as what the media might do or the public might think if Rodgers hadn't broadcast his sense of betrayal, well, I'm sorry. If it is/was a true friendship, it should matter more than what either of those *theys" might think. It should matter more than whether they might make an issue out of it.

If a bunch of sharks or vultures are circling around your badly bleeding friend, is it okay for you to add another wound so you can escape their feeding frenzy?

IMO, friends don't judge their friends in the court of public opinion. They just don't. They judge them in private. Preferably, they stand by their friends in public. But if they feel sufficiently offended or betrayed or hurt that they cannot do that, then they should remain silent. Let the rest of the world, those who aren't his friends and never have been do that. If you can't publicly defend the person, at least let him defend himself without adding to his wounds.

Sure it's hard. That's why real friendship is so dear. Not because it is easy and fun and a bunch of shared interests. Because to maintain it means doing hard stuff along the way.

It's easy to defend a friend before the evidence is all out. You're going to take your friend's side. The test of the friendship is what you do when the evidence is out and it falls against your friend.

There's a lot more people behind bars today whose "friends" have abandoned them than there are friends who will go to visit them in jail/prison. There are a lot more people who have been wrung out by public opinion for their moral shortcomings whose "friends" have taken the easy route by sharing public opinion than there are friends who continue to associate with them.

It's easy to be the kind of "friend" who, when the going gets tough, get going.

I understand feeling betrayed. And I understand if, feeling I have betrayed you, you abandon me.

But that doesn't mean I won't feel abandoned.

And when I see you abandon someone else you called friend? Well, I might still hang out with you, but you're not going to be a friend I'm going to trust with the deepest parts of me, good or bad.

Sorry.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DoddPower
10 years ago

I dunno. If I were another of AR's "friends" right now, I'd be quietly re-assessing the quality of his friendship with me.

Ok, I get it. He feels betrayed. He's been lied to by a friend. Maybe their friendship has died. Maybe Braun is just another athlete scumbag.

But, as he said, everyone makes mistakes. And, sure as God made the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, Rodgers is not the first person who has been lied to by one of his friends. I've made a helluva lot bigger mistakes, mistakes that I might lie about to my friends, too, depending on the pressures on me.

And I'd sure as hell might lie about them to any "friend" I thought might abandon me if "the truth came out". Because if he's going to abandon me for a lie in protection of my livelihood, I'm pretty sure he's going to abandon me when he finds out about *my* real skeletons.

And as far as what the media might do or the public might think if Rodgers hadn't broadcast his sense of betrayal, well, I'm sorry. If it is/was a true friendship, it should matter more than what either of those *theys" might think. It should matter more than whether they might make an issue out of it.

If a bunch of sharks or vultures are circling around your badly bleeding friend, is it okay for you to add another wound so you can escape their feeding frenzy?

IMO, friends don't judge their friends in the court of public opinion. They just don't. They judge them in private. Preferably, they stand by their friends in public. But if they feel sufficiently offended or betrayed or hurt that they cannot do that, then they should remain silent. Let the rest of the world, those who aren't his friends and never have been do that. If you can't publicly defend the person, at least let him defend himself without adding to his wounds.

Sure it's hard. That's why real friendship is so dear. Not because it is easy and fun and a bunch of shared interests. Because to maintain it means doing hard stuff along the way.

It's easy to defend a friend before the evidence is all out. You're going to take your friend's side. The test of the friendship is what you do when the evidence is out and it falls against your friend.

There's a lot more people behind bars today whose "friends" have abandoned them than there are friends who will go to visit them in jail/prison. There are a lot more people who have been wrung out by public opinion for their moral shortcomings whose "friends" have taken the easy route by sharing public opinion than there are friends who continue to associate with them.

It's easy to be the kind of "friend" who, when the going gets tough, get going.

I understand feeling betrayed. And I understand if, feeling I have betrayed you, you abandon me.

But that doesn't mean I won't feel abandoned.

And when I see you abandon someone else you called friend? Well, I might still hang out with you, but you're not going to be a friend I'm going to trust with the deepest parts of me, good or bad.

Sorry.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

I don't quite view it as that extreme. If I deeply lie to a friend, and they defend my lie and it ends up biting them in the ass, I would pretty much expect them to be pissed off at me, and possibly end the friendship. At least for awhile. Sometimes things happen that can heal over time. But still, just because someone spoke out against another who might have seriously lied to them repeatedly, that's not going to make me question their friendship with others. Relationships are built on trust, and if that trust is completely broken down and destroyed, then the relationship may very well be over. At that point, a person is longer speaking about a "friend," but is just speaking about someone that lied to them, etc.

I don't expect people to stand by their friends even if the friend shits all over them. That generally just leads to getting shit on more. I've been there and done that myself. Some "friends" just continually take advantage of others. Some people continue to accept the lies and stay friends with them, and good for them, I guess. But it's not a standard I would hold anyone to. Some people have less tolerance than others. If you don't want to test those waters, don't repeatedly lie to said friend and break whatever trust may be established. It's not that hard. I have certainly put up with many lies from "friends" in the past, and not surprisingly, the lies continued and snow-balled. When I see a similar pattern developing now, I'm much less tolerant. I don't hang out with anyone to be lied to and pulled around. If they're going to do that, I'd rather just let them go about their way and play with my dog. I don't have time for that type of drama.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

The main thing is, yeah, he lied to us. He forced us to lie for him, threw people under the bus in order to help himself out and didn’t care, blamed others for his mistakes and it’s just a lot of things you don’t expect from people.

Zack Greinke  wrote:

UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

Here is my question for those that say he should not have said Braun lied..

What direction do you suppose the media types are going to run with that? ... At least a few will start to ask the questions of "Was Rodgers involved in it?"

There is no way with the amount of tree climbing on thin vines of speculation that the media types are doing in this case.. that someone wouldn't or still may not take that angle.

By making this strong statement.. it is Rodgers word that he is among the rest of the world which wanted to believe Braun but was left disappointed that his words now appear ever so hollow.

I think one has to at the very least create a level of distance from Braun publicly.. stating the truth (if that is the case) is probably the best policy at the moment. IMO.

Aside from the fact that Rodgers (and more so Greinke) could have and probably should have just shut up or if asked, said "no comment", Rodgers should have said "If " he lied ......., as absolute proof still has not been provided, and by the terms of the plea deal, probably won't be provided that Braun lied - unless Braun was stupid enough to actually TELL Rodgers and/or Greinke that he lied to them. If THAT happened, it would have been idiotic for Braun, and Rodgers and/or Greinke would risk being called to testify in any investigation.

The whole thing is overblown. What's done is done. Let OUR superstar serve his time and get back to helping the team win in 2014. THAT is what is important - What was it that Ol' Vince used to say .......?

Here as in SO SO many things, sports and otherwise, I blame the God damned news media for stirring up trouble.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Pack93z
10 years ago
Mark Attanasio is a smart business man... very smart; but that doesn't change the fact that it is a classy classy move by the Brewers.

Bravo.

Brewers announce 'Fans First' promotion amid dismal season, Braun scandal 

Brewers principal owner Mark Attanasio promised last week that the team would find ways to "give back" to fans in light of the team's dismal season and the Ryan Braun suspension, and the first initiative was announced Monday.

Attanasio announced that all fans attending any of the 12 Brewers home games in August will receive a $10 voucher for free concessions, merchandise and game tickets at Miller Park.

“This has been a challenging season for all of us, but the one thing that has never wavered has been the tremendous support we have received from fans who love the Brewers,” Attanasio said. “We wanted to do something meaningful to show our appreciation, and we will strive to provide the best fan experience possible.”

Every ticketed fan coming through the turnstiles in August will receive a voucher good for $10 that can be used for food, beverage, merchandise and tickets sold at nearly every outlet (excluding Friday’s Front Row, portable merchandise stands, Miller Park Suites, the Johnson Controls Stadium Club and All-Inclusive entertaining areas).

Vouchers may be combined (meaning that fans attending with friends and family members, or those attending multiple games, can combine the vouchers for larger purchases) and used at any remaining 2013 home game. The vouchers can also be used toward the purchase of game tickets this season.

With attendance expected to average over 30,000 per game in August, the Brewers expect to distribute more than $3.6 million worth of vouchers. Coincidentally, Braun is forfeiting about $3.1 million in pay while suspended. So, the Brewers are giving that savings back to their fans, it would appear.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (20h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (23h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.