play2win
10 years ago

- Lang stepped up. For a guy who injured his back the previous day, he showed his dedication to coaches on Friday night's game by playing and playing well. That impressed me a lot. Now I believe coaches will be easy on him through the week, but I presume he will still play with the starters in week 2 barring any set back.

- Linebackers failed to impress. From the starters to the scrubs, no linebacker in particular stood out to me on his own on Friday. Mulumba made a nice play later in the game that caught my attention, but other than that and one sack by Francois, it was vanilla and void of any big plays even when a few were available.

- Special teams players look tentative. The coaches expect more fire from these young guys looking to make the team and it wasn't there from what I could see. The blocking and tackling was largely disappointing to say the least. Safety David Fulton missed what would have been a major straight line tackle on the Cardinals' big return in the 4th quarter. The play was right there for him and he whiffed.

- Is Newhouse seen as a liability by the coaching staff? My guess is yes. Help was slid his way on a play which resulted in a sack for a loss from a free corner blitz from the opposite side of the line. This was good play call by the Cardinals' defense. Smart teams know your liabilities and scheme accordingly. I am sure this factors into coaches feeling more and more comfortable putting Barclay out there in his place.

- WR Walker plays with focus and heart. Apart from his raw talent, those two traits are tremendously important for future greats in this league. On a play which resulted in an interception at the end of the first quarter, he is open near the sideline. Harrell instead throws to a covered Ross. On the return, Walker closes in on about a 5 yard gap to make the play and tackle Peterson. It was a great hustle play.

- Will Davon House prove he belongs? He played from behind on a big gain in the first quarter by allowing too much separation in coverage and he failed to make any kind of play on the ball carrier on a pass play later in the game. On that play, he allowed the receiver to knock him to the ground while he remained on his feet for extra yardage. I feel like this shows an unwillingness to be physical when the play is in front of him. Very disappointed all around with his performance.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Hey, just reviewed the game again, looking closely for the positives.

Andy Mulumba (46) made 3 great plays against the run, his first a blowup in the backfield. He only played 2nd Quarter. Struggled with getting to the QB, but nice work against the run.

Sam Barrington (58) made a great blow up for a loss of 2 or 3 in the 4th Quarter. He looks like he has the good qualities Bishop had.

Manning (56). Wow. He has the instincts to take plays out for a loss, but failed to finish a bunch of times. Totally blew up a play behind line of scrimmage, then failed to tackle. Seemed a bit lost at times.

Savage (94) looked OK a couple of times in pass rush. Seems to be around the ball. Looks the part physically.

Palmer (51) seemed to struggle, but also looks the part and confident. Took over LOLB for Mulumba to start 2nd half.

Francois looked OK, but with a couple of huge whiffs. He did get a garbage sack. Lattimore monster whiff and fail in coverage. Moses looked alright and made a play. First team LBs looked good.

Josh Boyd and CJ Wilson were our most promising DL on the day. Pile of dust and a couple of yds plays, look for Boyd to be on the bottom of that pile. Nice player! Wilson failed to get much pressure, but did make some stops, just like last year.

I'm concerned about where our wrecking crew is...?

Chris Banjo did make some nice plays at S. Shields looked great, with an awesome run stop. No one else was remarkable in a positive sense in the secondary.

Not much to say on O. Bakhtiari looked good, Lang looked awesome, as did EDS and Sitton. Barclay is WAY better than Newhouse.

Patrick Lewis actually looked pretty good at LG, with the exception of a screen play where he got a little lost upfield. Van Roten looked good at C. Taylor made some plays at RG.

Finley's drop in end zone a great defensive play. DJ Williams made on good catch and dropped two others, badly.

Walker may save our bacon this year. Nice find Ted.
play2win
10 years ago

How many series did the STARTERS actually play on Defense?

I don't think they gave up any points.

House was still in when he gave up the TD, but I don't think that many of the other starters were in.

I really don't know for sure, but if it was like the offense, the starters just weren't in there very long.

edit:

Seems to me every team has their own adgenda when it comes to preseason games.

The Cardinals have a new coach, a new QB, a new coaching staff, I agree that they outplayed The Packers, but I think Mike was all about getting film on a lot of new guys.
The cardinals came in wanting to build some momentum.

I know he wants to win every game, and he deserved to be pissed, but in the end i think The Packers staff aquired a lot of the info: they were lookin for.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Yep!

I believe our starting D was only in for two series, if that. And, that was minus a LOT of players...
play2win
10 years ago

House talked a big game in the off-season. That is why I am holding him to a higher standard. I know he is coming off of injury but you gotta back it up when you talk.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Yep. Manning too. Neither played up to expectations, or even close. Lets hip that tape review with their coaches changes things for the better.
play2win
10 years ago
Why, why, why didn't we sign Chris Canty??? Ugh!!!! He looked insanely good for BAL. we could have used a guy like that, as insurance, in case our 1st round pick wen... Ah, nevermind.
Dulak
10 years ago

Why, why, why didn't we sign Chris Canty??? Ugh!!!! He looked insanely good for BAL. we could have used a guy like that, as insurance, in case our 1st round pick wen... Ah, nevermind.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

ya I remember when he was up ... hoping we'd sign someone with some muscle and experience ... but noooo; brad jones is a much more worthy player to spend money on ...
(I know the 2 dont have anything to do with each other - it still doesn't count the fact; we didn't sign canty because $ but are paying lots of $ for mr brad jones whom IMO is not worth 1/3 of what he is paid).
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago
This game doesn't look as bad as people are thinking it was. I mean it wasn't good, but it isn't the end of the world.

First of all, I laughed when I heard someone say that "oh even our first string offense couldn't score on our first possession". It was very very close on that replay that Starks could've scored. And that whole drive, the offense went down field in a jiffy. Rodgers looked great. He wasn't touched. Starks had a couple good runs. Great downfield catch by Jones. Succes.

The first team defense faired well against the Cardinals. House imo was the only guy who played unimpressively. But did you guys notice he had no help on those long passes? I hear Hyde is getting more snaps with the first team now because Hayward and Williams are still out.

If our defense was so bad, why did we only give up 17 points? Our offense did us no favors. Actually, the defense had a couple good stops down the stretch of the game. The offense just couldn't do anything with it. The Cardinals could only make 1/3 field goals.

Imo Vince Young looked better than Graham Harrell did, with his limited snaps. I might be going on a limb here, but Young didn't look to bad. My prediction is if Young can learn the offense well enough to be a solid backup in 3 weeks, I say give him a shot. Put Coleman back on the shelf, ala, practice squad.

I thought the offensive line didn't look half bad, except for Newhouse's one play. Newhouse had a couple good plays, but the guy can be inconsistent. The backups looked better than I thought they would. GVR, Lewis, Lane Taylor. Lane Taylor especially, I think this guy has potential to make the team. Along with GVR. Lewis could make the PS. Bakhtiari gave me more confidence in our line. Lang sure played great out there than I've seen in a long time. Sitton looked like Sitton.

Only wide receivers I thought played great was Walker and Ross. Walker is an active player, very active. I think he's making this roster. Ross only had what 1 catch? But I thought he looked pretty good blocking out there, also his returns were decent enough. I don't think anyone else except him an Cobb fit the bill for that job.

Running backs looked ok, could've done better. I thought Starks looked pretty good actually, even though a couple runs nothing was there. Franklin looked decent too. I'd like to see the quarterbacks get him open in the middle of the field, on a check down or something. He looked great on that screen play. Green didn't get anything going, and Pease only ran one play for a decent gain

The tightends definitely look pretty good blocking out there. Finley looks like he never missed a block except one. That one catch and run was nice. That drop in the endzone, that safety did really make a good play on the ball. He needs to hold on, but it's not like he was wide open. Williams looked ok, he caught one diving catch with was a great play by Harrell and him imo. The rest he just couldn't hang onto it. His blocking looked decent enough. Mulligan. Wow I can see why we got him. He can sure anchor defenders, man i'm glad we got him, he'll definitely improve our running game.

D-line looked as good as it gets. Raji and Pickett didn't play much but they looked good enough. Pickett made a nice run stop. Wilson had an ok game, made a couple plays. Daniels looked a lot of improvement out there. The guy's quick. Jolly looked like 09' Jolly, glad they gave him a second chance. Boyd is another one of those players that played better in the game than in practice. Sometimes you'll get those guys that just surprise you once game time rolls around, he sure did. Can't wait to see what Neal can do this week.

LBs looked mmkay. Matthews looks like himself, flying around. I think Hawk and Jones are pretty good. They look faster out there. Perry, now I liked what he did this game.. He got a couple pressures. Made a nice play on Fitzgerald, he set up the edge well, looked decent dropping in coverage. Glad he's back. Moses actually didn't look half bad. Like some said he didn't look good. He looks fast out there. He's our backup OLB for now don't deny it. Francois looked decent enough to be serviceable imo. Wasn't impressed at all with Lattimore. Manning also looks fast out there, made a couple nice plays. Palmer and Mulumba definitely have a learning curve in the pass rushing department. But I don't think they look lost out there. Which is why I have hope. Barrington also looked up to snuff, made a play or 2. He can improve but again like Palmer and Mulumba he doesn't look lost.

The secondary had an off night. Only bright side was Shields and maybe Hyde. We need our starting corners back, I still think Nixon and Smith have shots at the PS, but no one really stood out. Burnett did look solid though. McMillian didn't look as good as I thought he would. Jennings didn't do anything good or bad out there. SS still up in the air.

steveishere
10 years ago
It wasn't that bad?! IMO it was worse than it looked. Those 2 first downs the 1st string defense gave up in 2 drives was GLARING. Couldn't stop the run, couldn't stop the pass and gave up 2 FIRST DOWNS... UNACCEPTABLE. The whole team was complete shit and it was obvious. Don't give me this "it was only 2 first downs " BS.

[sarcasm]
play2win
10 years ago

This game doesn't look as bad as people are thinking it was. I mean it wasn't good, but it isn't the end of the world.

First of all, I laughed when I heard someone say that "oh even our first string offense couldn't score on our first possession". It was very very close on that replay that Starks could've scored. And that whole drive, the offense went down field in a jiffy. Rodgers looked great. He wasn't touched. Starks had a couple good runs. Great downfield catch by Jones. Succes.

The first team defense faired well against the Cardinals. House imo was the only guy who played unimpressively. But did you guys notice he had no help on those long passes? I hear Hyde is getting more snaps with the first team now because Hayward and Williams are still out.

If our defense was so bad, why did we only give up 17 points? Our offense did us no favors. Actually, the defense had a couple good stops down the stretch of the game. The offense just couldn't do anything with it. The Cardinals could only make 1/3 field goals.

Imo Vince Young looked better than Graham Harrell did, with his limited snaps. I might be going on a limb here, but Young didn't look to bad. My prediction is if Young can learn the offense well enough to be a solid backup in 3 weeks, I say give him a shot. Put Coleman back on the shelf, ala, practice squad.

I thought the offensive line didn't look half bad, except for Newhouse's one play. Newhouse had a couple good plays, but the guy can be inconsistent. The backups looked better than I thought they would. GVR, Lewis, Lane Taylor. Lane Taylor especially, I think this guy has potential to make the team. Along with GVR. Lewis could make the PS. Bakhtiari gave me more confidence in our line. Lang sure played great out there than I've seen in a long time. Sitton looked like Sitton.

Only wide receivers I thought played great was Walker and Ross. Walker is an active player, very active. I think he's making this roster. Ross only had what 1 catch? But I thought he looked pretty good blocking out there, also his returns were decent enough. I don't think anyone else except him an Cobb fit the bill for that job.

Running backs looked ok, could've done better. I thought Starks looked pretty good actually, even though a couple runs nothing was there. Franklin looked decent too. I'd like to see the quarterbacks get him open in the middle of the field, on a check down or something. He looked great on that screen play. Green didn't get anything going, and Pease only ran one play for a decent gain

The tightends definitely look pretty good blocking out there. Finley looks like he never missed a block except one. That one catch and run was nice. That drop in the endzone, that safety did really make a good play on the ball. He needs to hold on, but it's not like he was wide open. Williams looked ok, he caught one diving catch with was a great play by Harrell and him imo. The rest he just couldn't hang onto it. His blocking looked decent enough. Mulligan. Wow I can see why we got him. He can sure anchor defenders, man i'm glad we got him, he'll definitely improve our running game.

D-line looked as good as it gets. Raji and Pickett didn't play much but they looked good enough. Pickett made a nice run stop. Wilson had an ok game, made a couple plays. Daniels looked a lot of improvement out there. The guy's quick. Jolly looked like 09' Jolly, glad they gave him a second chance. Boyd is another one of those players that played better in the game than in practice. Sometimes you'll get those guys that just surprise you once game time rolls around, he sure did. Can't wait to see what Neal can do this week.

LBs looked mmkay. Matthews looks like himself, flying around. I think Hawk and Jones are pretty good. They look faster out there. Perry, now I liked what he did this game.. He got a couple pressures. Made a nice play on Fitzgerald, he set up the edge well, looked decent dropping in coverage. Glad he's back. Moses actually didn't look half bad. Like some said he didn't look good. He looks fast out there. He's our backup OLB for now don't deny it. Francois looked decent enough to be serviceable imo. Wasn't impressed at all with Lattimore. Manning also looks fast out there, made a couple nice plays. Palmer and Mulumba definitely have a learning curve in the pass rushing department. But I don't think they look lost out there. Which is why I have hope. Barrington also looked up to snuff, made a play or 2. He can improve but again like Palmer and Mulumba he doesn't look lost.

The secondary had an off night. Only bright side was Shields and maybe Hyde. We need our starting corners back, I still think Nixon and Smith have shots at the PS, but no one really stood out. Burnett did look solid though. McMillian didn't look as good as I thought he would. Jennings didn't do anything good or bad out there. SS still up in the air.

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

I think that's a really nice review Gaycandybacon. Glad you covered more of the starters and the O than I did. I only half watched the starters 2nd time around, as I was more interested in how the new players fared, especially on D.

The secondary, for the most part, was playing with Safeties that could well struggle to make the team.

steveishere, you made your point. But in general terms, with their first 3 QBs having a passer rating of over 104, and our O not scoring, in a game that should have been 23-0, we looked like dog shit. No pressure or sacks from our starters, and Arizona took it to us in our own house.

Really had to search for those bright spots.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

I think that's a really nice review Gaycandybacon. Glad you covered more of the starters and the O than I did. I only half watched the starters 2nd time around, as I was more interested in how the new players fared, especially on D.

The secondary, for the most part, was playing with Safeties that could well struggle to make the team.

steveishere, you made your point. But in general terms, with their first 3 QBs having a passer rating of over 104, and our O not scoring, in a game that should have been 23-0, we looked like dog shit. No pressure or sacks from our starters, and Arizona took it to us in our own house.

Really had to search for those bright spots.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Using that logic, the game SHOULD HAVE BEEN 23-7.

Packers 1st team scored using your logic.

The refs made a bad call.

Nevermind, I don't have the strength anymore.

[wallme] [wallme] [wallme]
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
10 years ago
Agree with Bacon, but if Franklin wants to get those dump off opportunities, he'll have to learn to pass block, which will probably take him a year.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (20h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.