Laser Gunns
10 years ago
Now, we both just hit 21, so I'm trying to wrap my head around this...

I have (over the last few weeks) found 9 bottles of vodka and assorted beverages hidden throughout our apartment. None of them full.

He's driven home drunk on at least one occasion I know of. And he's resumed hanging out with some real dumbshits. I know his schoolwork has slipped. He is staying out reeally late (early AM) multiple days a week and I have a feeling he's not being too smart. He lies about what he's doing (twin-telepathy, and some conflicting stories for proof)

I don't drink, and I hope I'm not being too much of a nervous nancy, but his behavior has gotten pretty abnormal.

I don't want to lose my bro .. Alcoholism wrecked my childhood->young adult life and I really don't want him becoming my drunk-ass mother.

Do I handle it or call in a familystrike?

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
I wish I could supply the words of wisdom.

At any age your brother's behavior is not good.

Since I don't drink either I don't have any keen insight. There are several members of the board who do understand and hopefully they will be able to assist you.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
Lying to those close to you is the biggest danger sign. It's subconscious admission to yourself that you know it's a possible problem, but it's also statement of a belief that you don't think it's out of control.

Add in the fact that the empty bottles are vodka (people often think, erroneously, that, unlike other liquor, vodka use is easier to hide (the "no smell" rationalization), and add in the number of bottles that haven't made it into the dumpster, and it sounds like a serious problem to me.

Because unless those bottles are the aftermath of one or two mega-parties at home they suggest a problem that has been going on awhile. You don't just start consuming liquor in that amount at home from the get go. If you've just been dumped by a girl friend, you might go through a bottle once out of despair/anger/whatever, but you are then going to be hit by an almighty hangover that will keep you away for a couple days. And if you go through a couple at a single dumbass party, the empties are going to hit the trash soon after (in my experience the biggest slobs, of which I am one) don't let multiple empty liquor bottles clutter up the place.

My first thought was that you should gather up all the bottles, empty/half-empty/full, put them on the kitchen table, and confront him with them all at once and ask him to explain. I've been "enjoying" alcohol since I was 16, and not always in moderation either, and, I've never had 9 empty bottles of hard alcohol at one time. I've tried almost every variety of liquor at one time, many of them when I was your age, and it was the accumulation of decades to get a "liquor cabinet" full of bottles. Nine bottles of vodka is a lot of booze, and -- apart from "morning after a big party at the house" -- its going to be hard to explain away without admitting "maybe I do drink too much, maybe I do have a problem."

But the reality, how you handle it ISTM depends critically on the particulars of your relationship with your brother and with the particulars of his and your relationships with the rest of your family, common social circles, etc. Some brothers are really close, in which case bluntness might work best, others are not, and I don't know you're situation. You state that you are roommates, which suggests that you have been pretty close; and you refer to an alcoholic mother, which suggests that there are some other inter-familial tensions. Have these tensions ever gone violent, etc.

I guess what I'd probably do -- this has never come up for me personally having to make the decision how to confront -- is first talk to any family members/friends who know you both well, and compare notes and plot a strategy among you. Confronting the person is often necessary, but the reality is that no problem will be solved without the brother admitting the problem and committing to its solution, but the better the manner of confrontation fits the particulars of your relationships, the more likely it will succeed in moving him toward that admission/commitment.

I don't think the same thing works for everyone. But I do tend to believe that "getting it out in the open" is a necessary condition. Not sufficient, but necessary.

FWIW, that's my view. But, like wpr, I'm no expert.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
4PackGirl
10 years ago

having been married to an alcoholic, those are classic signs that your brother is in serious trouble.

please do NOT wait until it's too late. everybody says that they need to want to change in order to change but what I've learned is that isn't necessarily true.
the thing is with addiction is it can move very quickly. I've seen many people watch their family members go downhill slowly & then are shocked when the addict either kills someone else in an accident, kills himself in an accident, get several DUI's, end up in jail, &/or any myriad of scenarios that are NOT good.

most importantly, if you hear nothing else, do NOT bail him out, make excuses for him, or help him in any way that alcohol negatively impacts his life.
living with an addict is horrible & i'm not saying turn your back on him, give up on him, or stop loving him.
what i'm saying is love him enough to get him help.

i'm here for you anytime you need to talk.

Pack93z
10 years ago
Awareness if the first step.. albeit in this case yours not his. But, lucky for him; you're family and will be in it for the long haul.

I walked through that darkness in my life.. and unfortunately flirt with it on occasion.. so I lack any solid advice that will work for you... other than share PackGirl's words that you can't cover for them.. don't bail him out as well, but try to be there to help keep him safe and trying to avoid costly or even grave mistakes.

Is it a kid experimenting with a new found privilege or the first step of trouble.. can't say from here. What I can say, is you have every right to be concerned.. and it sounds like you have the motivation to stay on it.

I wish you and your brother good luck along this path.. and if you need to or want to.. feel free to message me if you need a sounding board. Albeit Julie has a sexier giggle..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (9h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (12h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (15h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (16h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.