MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

Sometimes, a few words in a news conference reveal a lot. Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy did exactly that during Monday's news conference after the first practice of the week.

"We improved as a team from Arizona to St. Louis, but we've got a lot of work to do," said McCarthy. "We left a lot of impact plays on the field."

WTMJ  wrote:

DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Sounds pretty obvious to me haha
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
Peel away all the layers, and as it always has been, the most important key to victory is winning the turnover battle.

Whether it be a preseason, regular season or postseason game,

Winning the turnover battle is and always has been the one true stat in every era of The NFL.

WIN THE TURNOVER BATTLE, WIN THE GAME!!!!!

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
10 years ago

He went into how great teams produce big plays - explosive plays or touchdowns on offense, turnovers on defense, and those are the kind of plays that win championships.

Right. He's into throwing deep downfield, NOT fundamental WCO football, which relies on high percentage passing, ball control and time of possession.

Mike McCarthy's philosophy - a bit of Bill Walsh, a dash of Pro Football Facts and long-held football ideology - wins championships.

A bit of Bill Walsh!? Bill Walsh was all about high percentage plays. When his team made big gains, it was usually due to YAC.

Sounds to me more like Mike is all about Mouse Davis and June Jones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_and_shoot_offense 

The Run & Shoot system uses a formation consisting of one running back and between two and four wide receivers. This system makes extensive use of receiver motion (having a receiver suddenly change position by running left or right, parallel to the line of scrimmage, just before the ball is snapped), both to create advantageous mismatches with the opposing defensive players and to help reveal what coverage the defense is using.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
10 years ago

Right. He's into throwing deep downfield, NOT fundamental WCO football, which relies on high percentage passing, ball control and time of possession.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Good, "fundamental WCO" sucks. Glad McCarthy knows what he's doing.
play2win
10 years ago
What we have been in dire need of are a solid defense and a running game. I don't much care whether McCarthy is a chip off of Walsh or Coryell, me thinks the latter, his philosophy must now utilize the run to augment the pass. This can work in beautiful harmony. He's going to have to establish a nice balance, now that he has essentially all the tools offensively.

Defensively, I think we've added some really special pieces to the mix to make us much better. From here it all looks very encouraging. Mike is just going to have to put it all together.

19-0. Add another Lombardi to the trophy room! Bye-bye '72 Dolphins. You have company!
Porforis
10 years ago

Peel away all the layers, and as it always has been, the most important key to victory is winning the turnover battle.

Whether it be a preseason, regular season or postseason game,

Winning the turnover battle is and always has been the one true stat in every era of The NFL.

WIN THE TURNOVER BATTLE, WIN THE GAME!!!!!

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

That, more than anything else, is why Rodgers is invaluable to the Packers. Sure, he throws for a lot of yards and TDs. But he does a tremendous ball protecting the ball. 9 times out of 10, it's the Packers' defense's game to lose.
beast
10 years ago

So did he basically just say we need more big plays? ... that doesn't seem like a story as much as a no duh...

That being said, I also believe consistently good also works... I've seen at times the Patriots (and some other teams) at times don't even seem to try to go for the big plays. When the defense is heavily defending the big play they sometimes just keep going for the first down and moving the ball instead of always going for the big play.

I really liked that Mike McCarthy would go fr a huge surprise play on 3rd and 2... but it got to point that seemed like the norm and other teams game planned for the long ball and it was no long a surpise.

What MIGHT of worked great there is that come back play Peyton Manning always did with his WRs with the Colts. Where they fake deep and then for a come back toward the sideline.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
10 years ago
Any good offense or defense is fun to watch...if it's your team...if it's the opposing team...not so much!!!😄
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
macbob
10 years ago
This philosophy makes me crazy. I much prefer a ball-control type offense--not necessarily running the ball, but moving the chains; eating up clock; getting the other team's offense out-of-synch by sitting on the bench for an extended period; giving your defense some rest.

With the 'big play' philosophy if you don't make the big play, then the other team gets the ball right back with plenty of time on the clock and your defense gets gassed.

I miss Mike Sherman's offense. He stunk as a GM, but I liked him as a coach. Better than I'm liking McCarthy as a coach.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.