MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

Sometimes, a few words in a news conference reveal a lot. Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy did exactly that during Monday's news conference after the first practice of the week.

"We improved as a team from Arizona to St. Louis, but we've got a lot of work to do," said McCarthy. "We left a lot of impact plays on the field."

WTMJ  wrote:

DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Sounds pretty obvious to me haha
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
Peel away all the layers, and as it always has been, the most important key to victory is winning the turnover battle.

Whether it be a preseason, regular season or postseason game,

Winning the turnover battle is and always has been the one true stat in every era of The NFL.

WIN THE TURNOVER BATTLE, WIN THE GAME!!!!!

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
10 years ago

He went into how great teams produce big plays - explosive plays or touchdowns on offense, turnovers on defense, and those are the kind of plays that win championships.

Right. He's into throwing deep downfield, NOT fundamental WCO football, which relies on high percentage passing, ball control and time of possession.

Mike McCarthy's philosophy - a bit of Bill Walsh, a dash of Pro Football Facts and long-held football ideology - wins championships.

A bit of Bill Walsh!? Bill Walsh was all about high percentage plays. When his team made big gains, it was usually due to YAC.

Sounds to me more like Mike is all about Mouse Davis and June Jones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_and_shoot_offense 

The Run & Shoot system uses a formation consisting of one running back and between two and four wide receivers. This system makes extensive use of receiver motion (having a receiver suddenly change position by running left or right, parallel to the line of scrimmage, just before the ball is snapped), both to create advantageous mismatches with the opposing defensive players and to help reveal what coverage the defense is using.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
10 years ago

Right. He's into throwing deep downfield, NOT fundamental WCO football, which relies on high percentage passing, ball control and time of possession.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Good, "fundamental WCO" sucks. Glad McCarthy knows what he's doing.
play2win
10 years ago
What we have been in dire need of are a solid defense and a running game. I don't much care whether McCarthy is a chip off of Walsh or Coryell, me thinks the latter, his philosophy must now utilize the run to augment the pass. This can work in beautiful harmony. He's going to have to establish a nice balance, now that he has essentially all the tools offensively.

Defensively, I think we've added some really special pieces to the mix to make us much better. From here it all looks very encouraging. Mike is just going to have to put it all together.

19-0. Add another Lombardi to the trophy room! Bye-bye '72 Dolphins. You have company!
Porforis
10 years ago

Peel away all the layers, and as it always has been, the most important key to victory is winning the turnover battle.

Whether it be a preseason, regular season or postseason game,

Winning the turnover battle is and always has been the one true stat in every era of The NFL.

WIN THE TURNOVER BATTLE, WIN THE GAME!!!!!

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

That, more than anything else, is why Rodgers is invaluable to the Packers. Sure, he throws for a lot of yards and TDs. But he does a tremendous ball protecting the ball. 9 times out of 10, it's the Packers' defense's game to lose.
beast
10 years ago

So did he basically just say we need more big plays? ... that doesn't seem like a story as much as a no duh...

That being said, I also believe consistently good also works... I've seen at times the Patriots (and some other teams) at times don't even seem to try to go for the big plays. When the defense is heavily defending the big play they sometimes just keep going for the first down and moving the ball instead of always going for the big play.

I really liked that Mike McCarthy would go fr a huge surprise play on 3rd and 2... but it got to point that seemed like the norm and other teams game planned for the long ball and it was no long a surpise.

What MIGHT of worked great there is that come back play Peyton Manning always did with his WRs with the Colts. Where they fake deep and then for a come back toward the sideline.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
10 years ago
Any good offense or defense is fun to watch...if it's your team...if it's the opposing team...not so much!!!😄
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
macbob
10 years ago
This philosophy makes me crazy. I much prefer a ball-control type offense--not necessarily running the ball, but moving the chains; eating up clock; getting the other team's offense out-of-synch by sitting on the bench for an extended period; giving your defense some rest.

With the 'big play' philosophy if you don't make the big play, then the other team gets the ball right back with plenty of time on the clock and your defense gets gassed.

I miss Mike Sherman's offense. He stunk as a GM, but I liked him as a coach. Better than I'm liking McCarthy as a coach.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (15h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (15h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (16h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (16h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.