steveishere
10 years ago

This philosophy makes me crazy. I much prefer a ball-control type offense--not necessarily running the ball, but moving the chains; eating up clock; getting the other team's offense out-of-synch by sitting on the bench for an extended period; giving your defense some rest.

With the 'big play' philosophy if you don't make the big play, then the other team gets the ball right back with plenty of time on the clock and your defense gets gassed.

I miss Mike Sherman's offense. He stunk as a GM, but I liked him as a coach. Better than I'm liking McCarthy as a coach.

Originally Posted by: macbob 

I think you are overstating the harm done by hitting big plays. The basis of the offense is still to get first downs and move the ball because that's what sets up being able to hit some big plays. Saying we need to be better at hitting those big plays isn't a bad thing at all because big plays kill the other team. It's a lot easier to get down field only needing 2 or 3 first downs than it is needing 6 or 7.

People seem to like thinking that GBs offense has traditionally been bad for the defense but that never made sense to me. We've been one of the best at converting 3rd downs and getting first downs in general, we don't turn the ball over EVER, we don't go 3 and out very often, we don't punt very often, we get TDs instead of FGs when we are in the RZ, and we typically leave the defense in good field position to start their drives. If the defense has struggles getting off the field and gassing it seems weak to me to blame the offense for it.
macbob
10 years ago

I think you are overstating the harm done by hitting big plays. The basis of the offense is still to get first downs and move the ball because that's what sets up being able to hit some big plays. Saying we need to be better at hitting those big plays isn't a bad thing at all because big plays kill the other team. It's a lot easier to get down field only needing 2 or 3 first downs than it is needing 6 or 7.

People seem to like thinking that GBs offense has traditionally been bad for the defense but that never made sense to me. We've been one of the best at converting 3rd downs and getting first downs in general, we don't turn the ball over EVER, we don't go 3 and out very often, we don't punt very often, we get TDs instead of FGs when we are in the RZ, and we typically leave the defense in good field position to start their drives. If the defense has struggles getting off the field and gassing it seems weak to me to blame the offense for it.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

I was originally going to argue on the 3 & outs, but when I looked into the #s we are actually one of the top teams in the league every year (except 2010, when we won the SB, lol). My perception was obviously skewed from reality.

I do think our stats feed a bit on the week defensive teams that are easier to exploit down the field and that our offensive style struggles against the better teams (hence our good regular season record and spotty post-season record recently).
UserPostedImage
macbob
10 years ago
OK, lets do a reality check:

Under McCarthy, what percentage of the Packers Big Plays have been pass plays vs running plays? Big Play = Pass greater than 25 yds, Run greater than 10 yds

a. 47% b. 54% c. 61% d. 68% e. 75%

Answer= A. 47%

Big Plays	Run	Pass
2012	71	37	34
2011	87	41	46
2010	83	41	42
2009	81	42	39
2008	72	41	31
2007	69	35	34
2006	68	42	26
	531	279	252

That's right--under McCarthy we have more Big Play runs than passes...

UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago
I think the point is if you have the ability and opportunity to hit on some big plays (we do) then you don't pass it up. Getting big plays > not getting big plays. There is no logical reason to actively try to avoid explosive game breaking plays if you have the ability to pull it off, that would be stupid. That's not saying to try and force it if you aren't good at it and try to get a homerun every time you touch the ball (I do not believe McCarthy does this as much as some people seem to act like he does).
steveishere
10 years ago
lol how many times did Aaron Rodgers lead the team in those 10 yard runs?
macbob
10 years ago

lol how many times did Aaron Rodgers lead the team in those 10 yard runs?

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Led the team once, tied for the lead once. Trailed the team leader by double digits 3 times.

2012: Rodgers 9 out of 37 total; led team. Alex Green had 8, Cobb had 7; DuJuan Harris 6
2011: Rodgers 8 out of 41 total. Starks led team with 19; Grant with 12
2010: Rodgers 16 out of 41 total, tied for team lead. Brandon Jackson also had 16.
2009: Rodgers 14 out of 42 total. Grant led team with 24.
2008: Rodgers 5 out of 41 total. Grant led team with 27; Brandon Jackson had 6.

Obviously, Aaron Rodgers wasn't the starter 2007 and 2006, but here were the team leaders those years:

2007: Grant 24 (out of 35 total); BJack 4
2006: Ahman Green 24 (out of 42 total); Vernand Morency 12; Brett Favre 3
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.