wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — Jeremy Ross remains in the mix for the Green Bay Packers' return jobs, but the coaches want to take a look at some of their other options since they know what Ross can do.

Of course, that also opens up the possibility that Ross, who has been up-and-down as a receiver in camp, might end up on the outside looking in when roster decisions are made.

The Packers saw enough from rookie cornerback Micah Hyde on his one punt return for 13 yards against St. Louis that he got the first rep in practice Tuesday and will again get a chance to return punts in Friday night's game against Seattle. Rookie running back Johnathan Franklin was first up on kickoff returns Tuesday and will get to return kickoffs again, too.

"Jeremy's a very solid returner. He's a strong runner with the football. He's a good catcher. He's very much in the plan," special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum said after practice. "Well, what we've done is we want to see some of these other guys in the most competitive situation we can, which is the games."

Hyde, who returned punts in college at Iowa as a junior and senior, had seen very limited action in practice but has now become a viable option. The Packers are looking to get No. 1 wide receiver Randall Cobb off returns if they can find a suitable replacement.

"He's smooth catching the ball. He's pretty sure handed. I thought his punt return the other night, he got off the spot really quickly," Slocum said of Hyde. "We looked at him right when he first got here after the draft and knew that he could catch punts. Things have a chance to change at all times, so it's part of the evolution of building our football team."

One thing appeared clear against the Rams: Franklin, who'd never returned punts before, just isn't ready for the job. He has been shaky catching the ball in practice and failed to make the "Peter" call to alert teammates to get away from the ball on a punt that hit cornerback Brandon Smith and was recovered by St. Louis.

"First of all, he should have fielded it," Slocum said of Franklin's failure to catch the ball. "He's got the right to field it and the gunner has to give him room so he doesn't interfere. At the point when the returner decides not to field it, then he's got to alert everybody else he's not going to. Our corner should have gotten off the field. That's unacceptable. We can't do that.

"Johnathan's learning a lot right now. He's in a growth period. That's part of the process of learning how to do it."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
10 years ago
If Hyde becomes the Packers punt returner, it will likely mean very few electric or big punt returns. I'm OK with that though. This offense doesn't really need a dynamic returner. All the returner needs to do is secure the catch, and get however many yards are available. I'm definitely OK with that, as opposed to the occasional exciting return, but also the occasional game changing fumble.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
10 years ago
I mentioned a few weeks ago that the difference between the top returners and middle of the pack returner is only abut 5 yards a return. I would rather see a guy catch every ball kicked his way that to have someone get a few big returns and miff a few others.

Add to that I would rather see a guy catch the ball at the 15 than let it bounce down to the 3 and have the kicking team down it there.

Then there are the knuckleheads who fair catch the ball at the 6,7 8 yard line when there is still time for them to let the ball bounce into the end zone.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
10 years ago
Hyde would seem to be a more than adequate returner. He seems very confident back there and has good football sense. He may not break any big ones, but I think he would be sure handed and gain positive yards. Also, he thinks quick enough and with his past experience as a returner, he would have most likely called Peter and cleared everyone so there would have been no turnover against the Rams.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
nerdmann
10 years ago

If Hyde becomes the Packers punt returner, it will likely mean very few electric or big punt returns. I'm OK with that though. This offense doesn't really need a dynamic returner. All the returner needs to do is secure the catch, and get however many yards are available. I'm definitely OK with that, as opposed to the occasional exciting return, but also the occasional game changing fumble.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Why can't hide break long returns?

He seemed like a pretty north-south kind of guy to me.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Punt Returns during Super Bowl XXXI were very helpful.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago
I think if you watch, there are not that many "truly great" punt returners.

The Packers have one in Cobb, but I'm pretty sure most don't want to see him out there.

The difference in many returns, is the return team itself and the ability to execute a plan and give the returner some room to free himself.

Just might be me, but I think if you watch most of the big returns on punts you will see that the returner is barely touched because of good blocking.

The ability to make that 1st guy miss is the main objective of the returner, if Hyde shows he can do that, and most importantly just catch the ball, he may have found himself another reason to be on the final 53.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
10 years ago

I think if you watch, there are not that many "truly great" punt returners.

The Packers have one in Cobb, but I'm pretty sure most don't want to see him out there.

The difference in many returns, is the return team itself and the ability to execute a plan and give the returner some room to free himself.

Just might be me, but I think if you watch most of the big returns on punts you will see that the returner is barely touched because of good blocking.

The ability to make that 1st guy miss is the main objective of the returner, if Hyde shows he can do that, and most importantly just catch the ball, he may have found himself another reason to be on the final 53.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Yeah, make that first guy miss, don't dance, and don't go sideline to sideline. Take it straight up the gut or wherever your blocking leads you.

Cobb can change direction on a dime, and that's rare. However unlike Devin Hester, he's actually a weapon on offense.

Hyde himself doesn't have top end speed, but he takes it up the gut. Or he did on that one PR so far.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackerTraxx
10 years ago
In the one article I read Hyde made a comment to the effect of, "catch the ball, get north and south as soon as possible and try to make the first man miss". I like that kind of thinking and action.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
DoddPower
10 years ago

Why can't hide break long returns?

He seemed like a pretty north-south kind of guy to me.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Because he's just doesn't have top end speed, quickness, or the ability to change direction like someone like Cobb does. That's not to say he can't break some long ones occasionally. The Packers have even seen an offensive linemen almost return a kickoff for a touchdown. But I don't think it will happen very often with Hyde. Being a "north-south kind of a guy" doesn't mean a big play returner, like a Patrick Peterson, for example. From what I've seen of Hyde in college, he isn't shifty enough, or fast enough to break away from the pack often.

That's OK though. As I said earlier, just catch the ball and get whatever yards are there. The offense can do the rest.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.