beast
10 years ago

Haters gonna hate, but I say you're spoiled. Instead of complaining over your conjecture, you should state what you would do to improve the defensive line.

Originally Posted by: blueleopard 

Improve the line by

~ keeping 7 DL ( Pickett, Raji, Jolly, Jones, Daniels, Wilson, Boyd) ... (Neal at OLB)

~ Pickett and Jolly play a lot more of the run down giving Raji more rest time

~ Let Raji rush up the field using his expolsive burst up the field (if he still has them).

He played in a 4-3 scheme in BC and drew comparisons to Warren Sapp when he was in the draft process. Sapp was an all-around player, but he also got above average sack numbers playing his position. What happened when he moved to Oakland? He played in the 3-4 and eventually became a forgotten man until retirement.

Ummm not use that's correct. While Raji was a BC they played BOTH the 4-3 and the 3-4 and they did play a lot of 3-4 with Raji at 3-4 DE with NT Ron Brace at NT. Brace was a lot like Pickett, run stuffer only and about as big as Raji.

But Raji couldn't do that same thing at 3-4 DE in the NFL, because he's lack of length held him back, where in college they were less talented and that didn't matter near as much, so the team moved him to NT.

Also did the Raiders play a 3-4 with Sapp there? ... honestly I don't remember but I don't follow the Raiders at all, just didn't remember they've played the 3-4 since 2000... probably have and I just don't remember.

But Sapp was old and on a losing team... I think that killed Sapp mojo and he claimed he also got worse because football stop being fun to him and became more like a job and he hated it. Also talked about how he disliked (his believe) that Al Davis would call down onto the field and order the coaches to do this or that and it made no sense to Snapp to listen to Davis.

As Sapp put it.... Al Davis KNEW a TON of football info, scheme and ideas, etc etc.... but it was all 70s and 80s football and none of todays football.

What Capers and Trgovac ask of Raji and the fact that he's held up shows his athleticism, and yeah he's been pushed around -- but we haven't exactly been going against poor offensive lines as of late. Line play is better as a unit.

I'm just saying Raji burst and athleticism seems to have gone down since his second year and his run stopping has gone up some... but not enough as he was clearly pushed around in the 49ers game... if nothing else get low.... get down on a knee... no you're not going to make a play that way... but you do clog up the OL that way.

Getting down on a knee is better than getting pushed back play after play after play.

In the Super Bowl year we had plenty of packages from the rush package where we had Jenkins/Pickett/Raji to the jumbo package of Raji/Green/Pickett -- that combined with stellar play from the other players on defense led to wrinkles such as the Raji interception.

I WANT JUMBO PACKAGE BACK!!!! Pickett, Jolly and Raji... thank you đź‘Ť

Has he been playing like a top 10 pick? Maybe not, but he hasn't been a bust if that's what anybody's trying to imply.

Never said he's bust... think he's better than Hawk (who I don't think i a bust either). Just don't think he's good as his hype... and think Raji frame burst up the field which got him to be such a high draft pick in the first place has been missing the last couple of years.

And that Pickett and Jolly might be better pure NTs. Thought Raji might be better than them overall... if he can pull out that burst pass rushing again and stop poor showing like in the 49ers game.

Honestly I think Jolly toughness / hands up to tip balls is spreading and I love it. Jolly is a leader of this team... attitude wise... just seem like he's helping by others noticing him.
UserPostedImage
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago

I WANT JUMBO PACKAGE BACK!!!! Pickett, Jolly and Raji... thank you đź‘Ť

Originally Posted by: beast 

This is how I want the d-line for the formations they play:

Base: (Like you said) Jolly/Pickett/Raji. Wilson and or Boyd can back up their base

Nickel: Raji/Jones. Daniels and Neal can back up Jones there. Jolly can backup Raji in this formation.

Nickel/Dime 3rd Down: Jones/Neal. Daniels can back them up.

I actually like Raji playing DE. He can easily slide in at NT anytime if something happens to Pickett.
blueleopard
10 years ago
Everyone's saying get him rest.

That just shows he really isn't as expendable as we're making him out to be. I get that he's a Top 10 pick, but he's only human, and hopefully this year our new depth at the defensive line should spell Raji a bit.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
It seems that the Packers are not overly impressed with his past performances because they have not resigned him yet. They seem to be taking a wait and see position. If he walks I am sure they feel the younger guys will do just as good of a job for less money.

I am not sure what is holding Raji back. It could be lack of the right kind of help on the line. It could be the role he plays in the 3-4 and 2 man lines. It could be that it is preseason right now so why bust his chops when it doesn't matter. It could be that he has lost a little of his drive. Maybe fans expect too much. It could be some of all the above.

With more depth and a contract year we shall see how well he plays this season. As of now if he walks I won't be heartbroken.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Losing favor implies that I like the guy so keep that in mind. It does seem like he has been a sacred cow for a while now. He does play a lot of snaps and that is very respectable to me. At the same time, I worry he is regressing.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (3h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.