Only results in the running game will
make me relax.
Until then, it's all unknown.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
Other posts tonight have me in a very optimistic mood about the OL.

(Don't worry, I don't expect it to last. I probably will return to my usual rantings about the OL and "TT's Achilles heel" as soon as I see a game this year.

But for now, I'm assuming that the combination of Rodgers' evasiveness and Lacey's running ability will ensure the Rodgers remains healthy and that an improved Finley will make up for the overall step downward in the WR positions.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
nerdmann
10 years ago

Other posts tonight have me in a very optimistic mood about the OL.

(Don't worry, I don't expect it to last. I probably will return to my usual rantings about the OL and "TT's Achilles heel" as soon as I see a game this year.

But for now, I'm assuming that the combination of Rodgers' evasiveness and Lacey's running ability will ensure the Rodgers remains healthy and that an improved Finley will make up for the overall step downward in the WR positions.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

We're starting our #3 and #4 Ts. All things considered, we're doing well.

We've got Newhouse as a swing T. I expect Sherrod to be available after week 6. (That's how long the PUP lasts, correct?) And then there's Datko. Or is there? Looks like he just flat out isn't panning out.

On the inside, we've got Van Roten (who is a scrub himself) and a couple other scrubs, who will probably be PSd. I don't like the depth there, but I do believe Ted will pick up a backup C.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

I think the Packers need to be worried about their OL overall.

Every offense has some weaknesses, but most of the Packers weakness can be over come with schemes or tricks... but the major one that can't be is the OL.

I think a team with a very good (or great) DL can still run over the Packers OL like the Giants did last year, holding the Packers offense to 10 points giving the playmakers almost no room to make plays.

Or worse a team with very good and physical DBs, dares the Packers to pass the ball, and the DBs bump and bully the WRs all day, the WRs not willing and/or able to get off the physical blocks Rodgers has no where to go with it, which lets the defense focus on the running game. (which is what the Seahawks did last year).

Even before the horrible calls by the refs... I was disappointed the WRs couldn't get of physical coverage better than that. I was honestly wondering if getting away from the bump and run with the Packers CBs, was making the Packers WR softer because they weren't used to it anymore.

Of course part of that is because Mike McCarthy fell into the Seahawks game plan trap... showing coaches a run D look, and getting the other coaches to call a LOT more pass plays than run plays, so the defense knows what's coming and don't have to think but just attack.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Let's not forget The Seahawk game still had "the refs", these guys didn't have a clue what to call, Seattle along with 49r's were much more physical because they could get away with it.

Recievers were being engaged all over the field.

I'm not a fan of all the new rules, but when they are enforced correctly, The Packers have a huge advantage over most teams.

The running game will be fine, when The Packers actually put their 1st offense on the field.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
beast
10 years ago

Jordy Nelson is a big, strong WR. He's gonna get off that press coverage much better than these undersized scrubs we've been playing. Cobb is a little smaller, but he's at least got a few years of experience. They'll be fine.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I think you misunderstood me... I wasn't talking about the Seahawks perseason game... I was talking about the fail mary week 3 of last season game.

Big strong Jordy seemed to fail to get off the press of big strong CBs in that game...

James Jones got off the press in that game (and Boykins shown he can physical get off press).
I thought Jordy would get off of it... but he didn't do a very good job of it in that game.

Let's not forget The Seahawk game still had "the refs", these guys didn't have a clue what to call, Seattle along with 49r's were much more physical because they could get away with it.

Recievers were being engaged all over the field.

I'm not a fan of all the new rules, but when they are enforced correctly, The Packers have a huge advantage over most teams.

The running game will be fine, when The Packers actually put their 1st offense on the field.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

That's very true too... Packers WRs did seem like they were trying to play by the normal rules more... where as the Seahawks (and Packers DBs) didn't seem to care as much and tried to get away with extra stuff since they had the back-up refs in there.
UserPostedImage
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago
We need more 325+ pounders to push guys around.

Who's by far our best offensive lineman? Who has been by far our most consistant?

Josh Sitton

I love him because he rarely gets moved. Guy is big and strong. Just what I like in Offensive lineman.

T.J. Lang is pretty much in the same mold as him. I like him a lot, he's just too damn inconsistent.

We tried to get bigger at the position the last few years. Bulaga, Newhouse, Sherrod, Datko That's about it.

3 of those 4 have been banged up.

If I were the Packers, idc if they get Bulaga and Sherrod back as healthy as they can be next year, GET GUYS THAT ARE STRONG and can push guys up field.

Who has a finesse offensive line anymore? You can still have big players and run the zone scheme.. I mean come on... how hard is it to double team block and move up field? I'm no offensive lineman, but big fellas are able to move well too.

The best big guys they have that have a chance to making this team this year is Lane Taylor and Andrew Datko(imo tons of potential)

They are pretty lucky they snatched Bakhtiari because he's probably one of the most athletic lineman in the draft. When he grows into his body more and more he can become a very good OLman.

Look who the Bears got. Kyle Long. THAT GUY IS HUGE. They pretty much got better because of his size..

Tennessee got Chance Warmack.. That guy probably is the best guard I've seen in years. HE'S HUGE AS WELL. Need I say another Alabama Tackle that got drafted by San Diego...

Take a chance Ted Thompson. Draft 2+ Big offensive lineman next year. See how much better your team will be.

That's my only pet peave. Sometimes we draft for Size, Speed, and Strength. Most of the time we draft players that fit our system. Which is fine! But anyone can learn a system..

The 2 positions imo that lacks size on this team is Saftey and Offensive Line. I swear to god if we had size in that secondary next to Burnett, we'd be a hell of a lot better. Get rid of Jennings. McMillian is fine, JUST DRAFT SOME SAFTEYS!

blueleopard
10 years ago
We have an awful offensive line. Lacy isn't going to change that.

I am expecting no more and no less than an average year running the football.

And that's just fine because we've just been pisspoor in that area ever since Rodgers became our QB.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
beast
10 years ago

T.J. Lang is pretty much in the same mold as him. I like him a lot, he's just too damn inconsistent.

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon 

I REALLY like Lang... but the guy is SO looking like an OT/OG tweener that fits in at neither place. Lang has an OG body but his natural style is that of an OT. I thought he might be able to become a good RT like Tausher but he didn't, partly because when they give him shots at RT he's already banged up.

In the NFC Champs game against the Bears, Clifton got banged and was out for three drives. Lang came in and most people remember the first drive where Mike McCarthy called a lot of pass plays and Peppers was burning Lang. But not many people the next two drives... one drive it was pretty much a stale mate with neither getting push, and the other was ALL Lang as he pushing Peppers backwards on run plays. But I don't think Lang is going to get another healthy shot at OT.

Part of me is starting to think Lang might be an over sized FB. He moves very well for his size and at times has been GREAT at getting to the second level and taking out LBers. And it's a goal line Package I REALLY have wanted to see.

Who has a finesse offensive line anymore? You can still have big players and run the zone scheme.. I mean come on... how hard is it to double team block and move up field? I'm no offensive lineman, but big fellas are able to move well too.

As a former OL, I can say harder than most think. Also I hear a lot of fans say it's about size and speed... I very much disagree with that. It's a lot more quickness, acting as one unit and mental muti-tasking/reacting skills.

And I agree with you, big players can have all that stuff as well, if they have quickness and mental parts down.

Look who the Bears got. Kyle Long. THAT GUY IS HUGE. They pretty much got better because of his size..

Take a chance Ted Thompson. Draft 2+ Big offensive lineman next year. See how much better your team will be.

Bears also got Tramon Williams cousin, who's earn the starting RT job, he's raw but in a couple years he and Long could be very tough.

One thing that has surprised me (on both sides of the ball) Packers don't seem to care about the length of linemen as much as other teams. Every year I hear the Packers are going to take a prototypical 3-4 DE (aka a guy with a lot of length normally 6'4" or taller that's about 300 pounds) almost every year they don't... other than maybe Datone Jones but weight wise he's still light.

Same with OL. They go for OT/OG tweeners most of the time.

That's my only pet peave. Sometimes we draft for Size, Speed, and Strength. Most of the time we draft players that fit our system. Which is fine! But anyone can learn a system..

The 2 positions imo that lacks size on this team is Saftey and Offensive Line. I swear to god if we had size in that secondary next to Burnett, we'd be a hell of a lot better. Get rid of Jennings. McMillian is fine, JUST DRAFT SOME SAFTEYS!

Everyone MIGHT be able to learn a system, but just because a guy learns it (in the class room) doesn't mean he can go out there and do it at an NFL speed, power and quickness.

I disagree with you a bit for the Safety size...

Packers want SS that can also play FS, so they can rotate the two S positions and use that to trick the QB sometimes as Burnett and Collins would do at times.

Honestly, I think Burnett is a SS and is playing out of position because the teams needs him too, and McMillian is a SUPER undersized, but super athletic LB whose trying to learn S. (I really like the idea of having McMillian at ILB on for sure passing downs, though looks like Hyde could do that as well)

I think the Packers need a true FS (which Jennings is) but they need them to have NFL starting talent (which Jennings doesn't).
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12m) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (58m) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (16h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (16h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (16h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (17h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.