Dulak
10 years ago

Dulak!

I stopped back on my way home and asked him that specifically.

YES. Said he was kicking nearly every ball out of Nitschke Field. Said he far out kicked both Crosby and Sergio. Said Sergio just didn't have the leg. Also that Ramirez was standing next to Masthay and was just booming them away as he placed them down, with no steps leading in.

There you go.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Damn ... Now Im rooting for the guy ... I know I really like masthay as our punter - be cool to have another great FG kicker; one that can kick 60+ yarders.

yooperfan
10 years ago

Damn ... Now Im rooting for the guy ... I know I really like masthay as our punter - be cool to have another great FG kicker; one that can kick 60+ yarders.

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

Attempting a 60 yard field goal is an act of desperation.
Means you got bigger problems than a kicker.

sschind
10 years ago

Attempting a 60 yard field goal is an act of desperation.
Means you got bigger problems than a kicker.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

You field a kickoff with 10 seconds left in the half and return it to the opponents 43 yard line with 2 seconds left. You bring on your field goal team to try a 60 yarder. I guess I just don't see the desperation in that if you have a guy that can kick it that far. It seems far less desperate than a heave into the endzone.
beast
10 years ago

Ted's made some dumbass decisions in the past about kickers like that punter he brought in a few years ago, Frost, after canning Ryan. That was terrible.

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 

I agree that was terrible... do you remember the rumored reason of why that happened?

Jon Ryan was inconstant, and he knew it.
So he asked the Packers to pay for special training from some special kicking coach.
The STs coach let his ego get in the way and was upset, that Ryan thought someone else could help more.
So the Packers said no letting Ryan get the special training.

The ST coach had worked out Punter Frost in the past and Frost had surprising control then, where Ryan had very little control. So when the Redskins cut Frost, the ST coach, he went to those over him and said Frost would be a clear upgrade and he really wanted Frost. So they made the move based on his suggestion.

Long story short, Jon Ryan payed his own way for the special kicking coach and I think his numbers have been better ever since, while Frost sucked, and the ST coach was forced to retire once they figured out what happened.

I DON'T know if this rumor is true or an excuse throwing that guy under the bus. But Mike McCarthy seems to tryhard to stand behind his coaches, and Mike McCarthy seemed to push that guy out the door with some of his comments talking to the media.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago

I agree that was terrible... do you remember the rumored reason of why that happened?

Jon Ryan was inconstant, and he knew it.
So he asked the Packers to pay for special training from some special kicking coach.
The STs coach let his ego get in the way and was upset, that Ryan thought someone else could help more.
So the Packers said no letting Ryan get the special training.

The ST coach had worked out Punter Frost in the past and Frost had surprising control then, where Ryan had very little control. So when the Redskins cut Frost, the ST coach, he went to those over him and said Frost would be a clear upgrade and he really wanted Frost. So they made the move based on his suggestion.

Long story short, Jon Ryan payed his own way for the special kicking coach and I think his numbers have been better ever since, while Frost sucked, and the ST coach was forced to retire once they figured out what happened.

I DON'T know if this rumor is true or an excuse throwing that guy under the bus. But Mike McCarthy seems to tryhard to stand behind his coaches, and Mike McCarthy seemed to push that guy out the door with some of his comments talking to the media.

Originally Posted by: beast 

That is true. I remember it.

HOWEVER, what also transpired THE DAY before Ryan was shitcanned was that, he pulled the ball down and ran for a first down in the last preseason game, without having prior orders to do so.

Ryan got the first down, but in the chaos, our longsnapper was lost for the season with a knee injury. Rob Davis had just retired and been hired as a front office guy, so league rules prohibited him from coming out of retirement. That's a rule preventing teams from stashing players in the front office.

So Ryan left the team in a bit of a pickle with less than a week before opening day.

The ST coach remembered Frost as a practice hero, whose problem was actually getting it done during games, so they made the switch thinking they could smooth out Frost's head. They couldn't.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
10 years ago
Jon Bonamego? Oh, the Mike Sherman era....

Nevermind.
yooperfan
10 years ago

You field a kickoff with 10 seconds left in the half and return it to the opponents 43 yard line with 2 seconds left. You bring on your field goal team to try a 60 yarder. I guess I just don't see the desperation in that if you have a guy that can kick it that far. It seems far less desperate than a heave into the endzone.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Not only is a 60 yard field goal attempt an act of desperation because your defense gave up a score in the waning seconds, it's a low percentage play that messes with the kickers head.
I believe Crosby is a victim of senselessly long field goal attempts.

play2win
10 years ago

Not only is a 60 yard field goal attempt an act of desperation because your defense gave up a score in the waning seconds, it's a low percentage play that messes with the kickers head.
I believe Crosby is a victim of senselessly long field goal attempts.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

I don't know about that if your Kicker can make them routinely. Then, FGs from 60-65 yds become another weapon in your arsenal vs. a punt. The problem with Crosby was that he was not able to make those with any regularity. Seems Zach Ramirez can, from what I am hearing.
yooperfan
10 years ago
Maybe he can make them "routinely" on a practice field with little to no rush.
Put him in a real NFL game and the pressure becomes immense, then lets see if he can do it "routinely."
I doubt it and I'll never believe 60-65 yard field goal attempts should be part of a teams arsenal.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
@RobDemovsky has Crosby 7/7, Ramirez 4/7.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (14h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (15h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (15h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (21h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (21h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (21h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (21h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (22h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (22h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.