MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — Nine months ago, the Green Bay Packers didn't lay a finger on Colin Kaepernick. Now, they're talking about how important it is to hit the San Francisco 49ers quarterback whenever he runs a read-option play — whether he keeps the ball or gets rid of it.

And that has 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh talking to NFL officials and suggesting that the Packers are out to get his guy.

It all started with an interview on ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike on Monday morning, when Packers outside linebacker Clay Matthews said that when Kaepernick carries out fakes on read-option plays, the Packers "have to take your shots on the quarterback."

By Wednesday, Harbaugh was seeing what he could do to prevent that.

According to Matthews, when NFL referee Bill Vinovich and his crew came to Green Bay during the first week of training camp, he and the Packers' coaching staff talked at length with the officials about what is and is not legal as far as hitting the quarterback on read-option plays. The Packers' inability to handle read-option plays was a huge issue in the 49ers' 45-31 victory in the NFC Divisional Playoffs, when Kaepernick ran for an astonishing 181 yards. According to ESPN Stats & Information, 178 of those 181 yards came before contact, meaning the Packers never even touched him.

"One of the things that the referees have told us is that when these quarterbacks carry out the fakes, they lose their right as a quarterback, a pocket-passing quarterback, the protection of a quarterback," Matthews told [URL=http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/463/read-option-plan-hit-the-quarterback" target="_blank]Mike & Mike[/URL]. "So with that, you do have to take your shots on the quarterback, and obviously they're too important to their offense.

"If that means they pull them out of that type of offense and make them run a traditional, drop-back, pocket-style offense, I think that's exactly what we're going for. So you want to put hits as early and often on the quarterback and make them uncomfortable."

"I can tell you right now, we started from Day 1 in OTAs when we came back in the offseason working on this read-option, pistol, fake offense for lack of a better term. We've been working on it, especially after what we saw last year in the playoffs specifically and then opening up the season with two of these quarterbacks. We're ready. We feel good about it."

Those comments prompted Harbaugh to go on the offensive and even invoke images of the New Orleans Saints' bounty scandal by suggesting the Packers are "targeting" Kaepernick.

"We're still doing some talking there to fully understand what they're saying," Harbaugh said in his press conference Wednesday . "I think there's a bit of a gray area.

"My opinion is when a quarterback, before he is declared being a runner, he should be afforded protection that all quarterbacks are afforded until he declares and gets out of the pocket and starts running with the ball or running the option or carrying out a bootleg and attempting a run or a pass when he's outside the pocket. I believe when he's in the pocket he's a quarterback until he declares he's a runner. Those are the conversations right now. We haven't gotten a final clarification on what it's going to be."

Asked about Matthews' comments, Harbaugh said he would talk with the referees before the game.

"You're hearing a lot of tough talk right now, intimidating type of talk, the kind of things, the same thing we were hearing a couple of years ago," Harbaugh said during his press conference Wednesday. "It sounds a lot like targeting a specific player. You definitely start to wonder.

"A man will usually tell you his bad intentions if you just listen (to) what's being discussed publicly. What's being said publicly (will tell you) what's being said privately. You hope that their intent is not going to be anything that's not within the rules."

Asked on his conference call with Wisconsin reporters about the idea that the Packers will try to hit him early and often, Kaepernick did a verbal shrug.

"I wear a helmet and shoulder pads like everyone else," Kaepernick said. "It's for a reason."

Jason Wilde  wrote:

StoicFire
10 years ago
I don't think this is a bias speaking, but I really struggle to see Harbaugh's point of view on this one. I know he is worried about the safety of his quarterback, but his interpretation of the rules just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't see how a defensive player, playing at full speed, could be asked to treat a player who is attempting to blur the lines as to whether or not he is a runner or a passer as a passer until proven otherwise. That is what I'm getting here:

"until he declares and gets out of the pocket and starts running with the ball or running the option or carrying out a bootleg and attempting a run or a pass when he's outside the pocket"

Basically, don't hit Kaepernick until he has already burned you. I think that if you wanted to be afforded every protection of a passer, it must be clear that you are a passer. It seems as though Harbaugh's words ask too much of defensive players, and are really just in place to protect his star.
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
sschind
10 years ago
A couple of things come to mind. One is very simple, once the QB crosses the line of scrimmage he can no longer throw the ball so he becomes a runner. He should get no special treatment (other than the slide protection rule when he is giving up.) That should be obvious.

The other is what to do behind the line of scrimmage. That's not so clear and I am not sure what to say about it. Part of me (most of me) doesn't like the preferential treatment QBs get anyway so I say let them get hit.

If a RB or a WR can throw the ball on an end around or something like that why does he not get the same protection as a QB. If he doesn't why should a QB get special treatment just because he can throw the ball.

As far as Harbaugh whining, of course he is going to look at it as if the Packers are going to take cheap shots. He just wants to raise enough stink before hand to make sure that when those shots, cheap or legit, come he can say " I have informed you thusly"
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

I don't think this is a bias speaking, but I really struggle to see Harbaugh's point of view on this one. I know he is worried about the safety of his quarterback, but his interpretation of the rules just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't see how a defensive player, playing at full speed, could be asked to treat a player who is attempting to blur the lines as to whether or not he is a runner or a passer as a passer until proven otherwise. That is what I'm getting here:

"until he declares and gets out of the pocket and starts running with the ball or running the option or carrying out a bootleg and attempting a run or a pass when he's outside the pocket"

Basically, don't hit Kaepernick until he has already burned you. I think that if you wanted to be afforded every protection of a passer, it must be clear that you are a passer. It seems as though Harbaugh's words ask too much of defensive players, and are really just in place to protect his star.

Originally Posted by: StoicFire 

Harbaugh is a whiney asshole two face who thinks he's never wrong. It's stupid of him to compare what Matthews is saying to what the Saints did while at the same time deliberately running his QB on read-option plays (like you pointed out). I'm gonna enjoy watching him squirm when Kaepernick inevitably gets knocked out after throwing him into fire too many times.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
hardrocker950
10 years ago
If you want to take the role of a running back, expect to be hit like one. I say hit the SOB all day. I get the fact that there are some rules for the sake of safety, but you can't use them to make a player untouchable - that is just nonsense.

I knew this would be an issue after seeing all the hype about running QBs and finally the day has come that we see it on our board.

The moment you take off running, or make yourself appear as a runner - be prepared to get your bell rung. This is how football has been, and it is how it should stay. 15 yard penalty for a rough hit? Fine by me, just make sure he regrets running the option[grin1]
flep
10 years ago
If he's got the ball, hit him. Simple really.
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 32 years
UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
steveishere
10 years ago
If you want to fake that you have the ball you are fair game. To me it's as simple as that. Harbaugh is the biggest crybaby in the NFL.
Pack93z
10 years ago

The other is what to do behind the line of scrimmage. That's not so clear and I am not sure what to say about it. Part of me (most of me) doesn't like the preferential treatment QBs get anyway so I say let them get hit.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Been of that viewpoint for 25 years... since the high school days of the bullshit red "don't touch me" jerseys... pansy asses anyways.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
play2win
10 years ago
Harbaugh is just posturing, but he may get his way. I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us get penalized wrongly with a hit to Kaepernick. It is in their house, with their crowd.

I hope the Packers pummel him mercilessly.
dyeah_gb
10 years ago
I remember when the I saw the articles early this year related to preparing for the option/pistol. I did not recognize at the time that part of the frustration was just plain old confusion of the rules.

I think Harbaugh has made it clear that he wants to win by manipulating the rules rather than having a sound strategy.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Fan Shout
dhazer (17m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.