Gaycandybacon
10 years ago

And Tramon isn't going to get "out toughed" by Bolden?

Bolden beat them both at times today.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I guess you're right, he was all over the field. The matchups were a nightmare on our part though.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

What blown replay of the third down. Are you referring to the offsetting personal fouls that should have made it 4th instead of replaying 3rd? Also, if they had blown the whistle for delay like they should have Lacy's fumble never would have happened. I know though, the offense usually get about a half second benefit of the doubt. I've seen it that close a lot of times and it doesn't get called.

They ran the ball 17 times. Do you want them to pass on every single down? Lacy did better than Gore and he showed flashes of what I think we can expect. Against lesser defenses and late in the game if we can wear down the defense I think he will be gold.

I agree that the benching for the half was an overreaction. Hopefully he isn't as bad as Coughlin was last year when Wilson fumbled in game 1. He hardly played the rest of the year. At least Mike McCarthy went back to Lacy. I never understood it when you take your best option at the position out of the game for a single mistake. We will see if he reacts to Ross' mental errors in the return game the way he did to Lacy's fumble. I hope so.

I won't say we should have won but we certainly could have. We played well enough to win but so did the 49ers. We simply made too many mistakes and they capitalized on them. Hopefully the mental ones can be worked out quickly.

Overall I am disappointed of course. I'm extremely frustrated at our pass coverage and third down performance although we did make a few nice stands. I was impressed with the run D and the containment of Kaepernick.

Offensively I think we will be fine. We put up 28 against a damn good defense we just need to act rather than react (score first not score to match them ) but that is on the defense for letting them score in the first place.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Yeah, that's the "blown replay of third down" I meant; Was there another one hahaha?

I agree about Lacy's fumble. My impression at the time was it should have been blown dead because his forward progress was stopped (which I assume was what you were trying to say hahaha).

No, I don't want them to pass every time, but after the first two or three possessions, which were ruined by running into the line once or twice, they settled into playing the game that has been so successful the past few years - letting Rodgers pass on early downs, maybe setting up the run - which indeed happened for a brief stretch later. Then, they inexplicably started the second half with another wasted possession or two with the same crap of running it into the line. We just don't have an O Line capable of making that work, and the effect of trying it is to diminish the benefit of having an ALL WORLD QB.

Let Lacy get his carries, and try a few more screens and swing passes to him, but DON'T just run him into the fat asses of our defective O Linemen. Set it up with the pass, and get off this silly notion of running to set up the pass.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
steveishere
10 years ago
Kerry Rhodes is starting to look like a better option.

Also based on week 1 I wouldn't be surprised to see Neal challenge Perry for the starting spot down the line.
beast
10 years ago

Kerry Rhodes is starting to look like a better option.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

That depends... does he want to play football? is he retired? Haven't heard anything out of him recently... is he looking for a football job?

Another guy that seem interested in playing football (though it'd cost a lot to get him) is Jairus Byrd, who who seems to want to be traded .

Though it's hard to see Ted Thompson coughing up draft picks and cash... a young play maker that possible could fix a big hole in the Packers defense might be interesting. Though already got enough guys that need to be resigned next year.

UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago

That depends... does he want to play football? is he retired? Haven't heard anything out of him recently... is he looking for a football job?

Another guy that seem interested in playing football (though it'd cost a lot to get him) is Jairus Byrd, who who seems to want to be traded .

Though it's hard to see Ted Thompson coughing up draft picks and cash... a young play maker that possible could fix a big hole in the Packers defense might be interesting. Though already got enough guys that need to be resigned next year.

Originally Posted by: beast 

He's also injured and probably not even in football shape at this point. They also came out and said they weren't looking for a trade. That's a situation I wouldn't even worry about.
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

It was a perfect loss. I could not be more pleased.

Todays loss will result in a 14 -2 season.

Now.. If the Packers won big today.. It would have resulted in a 10 - 6 season.

The best thing that could have happened to this team is to lose on week one the way they did today.

Think about it, and think deep.

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride 

=d> =d> =d>

I'm not sure of 14-2, but you're right on the money!!!

Someone else mentioned it, the keys to The Packers defeat can easily be adressed and fixed.

Playing on The West Coast, against the team most are picking as "the Best" in The NFL, losing the turnover battle 2-0, and least importantly once again being on the wrong side of a bad call by the refs.

This should have been a 21 point win by The 49rs.

Through it all The Packers came out in the 2nd half tied and at one point lokked like they may just buck the odds, but in the end well its a loss but not all that bad.

Time to move on, bring on The Redskins!!!!!

LET'S!!! GO!!! PACK!!!!!!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
10 years ago

Wow.

I am shocked by some of the negativity.

We played one of the best teams in the league and should have/could have won the game. Our own miscues lost the game (turnovers, offensive penalties, CM3's penalty, boneheaded returns from the end zone).

We had lousy field position all night, starting at/behind the 20 most of the evening. Our D did a good job stuffing the run, shutting down the read option, and containing Krapernick.

Yeah, the D left too many guys wide open down the middle of the field (and that's a consistent problem with Capers' defense--so I'm thinking that's a scheme issue), but even with that we almost beat the 49ers.

I was highly encouraged by the performance in the first game of the season--the penalties & boneheaded returns can be addressed.

Originally Posted by: macbob 

We had a chance to shut the pie holes of the second biggest pie hole openers in the league. (Second to the SeaHawks.)

We FAILED.

We beat ourselves, but we can't SAY we beat ourselves, because we do it so often, people will mock us as excuse makers.

FAIL FAIL FAIL.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dulak
10 years ago

I still can't make up my mind about the Capers system. What you say is true, and whether that was a scheme problem or bad play by Jennings and McMillian, I don't know.

The key to me, though, is where would we be without the Capers crap? We just don't seem to have the personnel to go head to head, no scheming and scamming. I think if we were plain vanilla, we'd have no pass rush at all and very little run-stopping ability. And while more zone might seem to mean better coverage, with no pass rush, it wouldn't work.

If you need to scheme scam and scramble by necessity, it's inevitable that something is gonna be open, I guess. Capers just needs to keep 'em guessing and have the openings where they do the least harm.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

what did we have before capers? sanders ... whom never blitzed the QB and if he did it was an easy read ... the guy was so see through I could guess the rush most of the time from my couch. Capers at least shifts things around and messes with the Oline/qb ... but true - capers doesn't adjust well and something going amiss in the pass defense.
sschind
10 years ago

Yeah, that's the "blown replay of third down" I meant; Was there another one hahaha?

I agree about Lacy's fumble. My impression at the time was it should have been blown dead because his forward progress was stopped (which I assume was what you were trying to say hahaha).

No, I don't want them to pass every time, but after the first two or three possessions, which were ruined by running into the line once or twice, they settled into playing the game that has been so successful the past few years - letting Rodgers pass on early downs, maybe setting up the run - which indeed happened for a brief stretch later. Then, they inexplicably started the second half with another wasted possession or two with the same crap of running it into the line. We just don't have an O Line capable of making that work, and the effect of trying it is to diminish the benefit of having an ALL WORLD QB.

Let Lacy get his carries, and try a few more screens and swing passes to him, but DON'T just run him into the fat asses of our defective O Linemen. Set it up with the pass, and get off this silly notion of running to set up the pass.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I just got it. I thought when you said replay you meant like an instant replay and I was trying to recall any of those and not a replaying of the down.

Actually I wasn't referring to a whistle to indicate the stop of forward progress. I was referring to the fact that the snap of the ball came after the play clock had expired. It should have been a delay of game. In either case though you don't see it called. The forward progress thing is rarely used and the offense always seems to get a half second or so delay.

I do see your point on the running game they should try something different than handing it of and running it up the gut. Did they try any draw plays at all? I think Lacy could excel at those.
sschind
10 years ago

The funniest part of this is Wilson just fumbled again. hauhauah

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I saw that this morning can I go back and edit my post

Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (14h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (15h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (22h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.