nerdmann
10 years ago

considering whenever they tried to control the ball they turned it over on downs... Your obsession with it being about stats is just completely fecking stupid and old. You simply have no clue what you are talking about. The difference between the two offenses today was the 49ers had all day to sit in the pocket. Gb had a much smaller window to work with.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

We weren't trying to pass rush Kaepernick. We were trying to contain him. That was the plan. It worked, for the most part.

We also saw what happens when you leave your D on the field for 40 minutes. They wear down at the end.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

I just got it. I thought when you said replay you meant like an instant replay and I was trying to recall any of those and not a replaying of the down.

Actually I wasn't referring to a whistle to indicate the stop of forward progress. I was referring to the fact that the snap of the ball came after the play clock had expired. It should have been a delay of game. In either case though you don't see it called. The forward progress thing is rarely used and the offense always seems to get a half second or so delay.

I do see your point on the running game they should try something different than handing it of and running it up the gut. Did they try any draw plays at all? I think Lacy could excel at those.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I didn't notice the thing about the Lacy fumble play being after reaching 0 on the clock. I guess just add that to the collection of screwups that have hurt us. In slight defense of the refs, it seemed like the Niners got the worst of some close calls on Unsportsmanlike. Maybe that was making up hahaha.

That brief flurry of runs in the second half may have included a draw - I don't really recall. I agree, that or any kind of deception to get him even a couple of steps in the open would be great. The thing I was happy about was I didn't know if Lacy had any kind of speed. He showed that yesterday. He will be fine, and the team will be fine that 14-2 the guy mentioned sounds good, although I don't know where the second of the 2 will come from. Frankly, we outplayed the Niners, and if we play them again, the score will reflect it.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
play2win
10 years ago

This Dom Capers defense seems to always have someone open over the middle and no adjustments made to stop it. Remember the '09 Cardinals playoff game? That's what this reminded me of.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Sad, but true. And, what has been the recurring theme in the middle of our D? For 3 years?

1. No replacement for Nick Collins.

2. AJ Hawk is still there.

3. No upgrade alongside Hawk.

4. Morgan Burnett is injured again and unavailable.

So, that's 2 Safeties we are down, a ILB and Defensive Captain who played his best ball 3 years ago, and a complete void of ILB talent alongside of him. Add to that a DL who is failing to get hime to the QB, and just about anyone would have trouble covering over the middle in this scenario.

I'll add this is not intended as a Hawk basher. Just stating a fact regarding our coverage over the middle.
nerdmann
10 years ago

considering whenever they tried to control the ball they turned it over on downs... Your obsession with it being about stats is just completely fecking stupid and old. You simply have no clue what you are talking about. The difference between the two offenses today was the 49ers had all day to sit in the pocket. Gb had a much smaller window to work with.

Rodgers led fast-paced touchdown drives of 6 plays, 80 yards (1:47); 8 plays, 62 yards (1:16); 7 plays, 69 yards (2:48) and 8 plays, 76 yards (2:30).

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
10 years ago

I didn't notice the thing about the Lacy fumble play being after reaching 0 on the clock. I guess just add that to the collection of screwups that have hurt us. In slight defense of the refs, it seemed like the Niners got the worst of some close calls on Unsportsmanlike. Maybe that was making up hahaha.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

The delay was so close that it was one that never gets called (unlike the one I thought they were going to miss against the 49ers later) One announcer put it like this. We have the opportunity to see the play clock on the screen along with the team so when the clock hits 0 we can tell instantly if the ball has been snapped. The refs have to watch the official clock and when it hits zero they have to look up and see if the ball has been snapped. In that fraction of a second the ball is usually snapped and they don't make the call. Just pay attention to the play clock sometime and you will see what I am talking about. Its kind of like the old do we go on 3 or is it 1,2,3 go.

It just kind of sucked because it would have been one instance where we would have benefited from a delay call.
Yerko
10 years ago
A loss sucks but I always try to look at positives if there are any. Luckily, in this game there were a ton of positives.

1. Glad to see Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and Aaron Rodgers not missing a single beat after not having little to no work in training camp. This was a big negative to some in that their timing would be off and it clearly was good to go.

2. Aside from one (costly) drop, Finley looked very good. A lot of YAC.

3. Bakhtairi looked decent. He deserves a pat on the back because going up against Aldon Smith or Justin Smith on your first NFL start isn't a small task to handle. He played exceptional and wasn't the worst offensive lineman. Add Barclay to this mix. Bottom line, they both have a lot of upside and should progress as the season moves along.

4. Our defense played nasty against the run. There were multiple times where multiple guys were jumping in on the tackle. There were some great form tackles and one that really pops out is when AJ Hawk sized up Frank Gore for a loss.

5. Lacy shows some promise. The Packers faced a top run defense with a crappy run-blocking offensive line. That is where Lacy will have to work some of his magic and use his strength to gain yards. He will do it to, just so long as the play calling allows for it.

There was plenty of bad in this game as well but I think it can all be worked out.

1. Pass defense was FUGLY. Many things can attribute to this. Lack of rushing the passer and of course the scheme. How many years are we going to have to continue watching guys catch a pass without a single player within 5 yards to make a play? What is going wrong? Is it Capers' play calling or is it the players not running the call properly?
For this game, I am calling it a personnel issue. Some may say Burnett and Hayward wouldn't have made a difference and I think that had they been there, it would have been a huge difference.

2. Offensive line will once again be average. The only remaining softness of the entire team is this unit. "Oh they are a pass blocking offensive line..." So then why is Rodgers always under constant pressure? Time to stop the excuses for these guys. EDS and Lang are below average in both pass and run block and I see no upside to them.
I think someone whispered in the refs ear to watch Sitton. Its very rare to see three penalties get called on a guard in one game...

3. Three and outs. How many were there? TOO MANY.

4. Drops. If the ball hits your hands, catch it. James Jones dropped a ball and became a ghost the rest of the game.

Overall, I was left impressed with the way these guys played. It left me feeling good about the rest of the season.

One more thing...I think it is funny how much people are overreacting to the Matthews hit on Kaepernick. Matthews doesn't have a history of being a dirty player and I think this is all due to his comments he made before the game being blown out of proportion by that idiot coach, Jimmy Harbaugh. Yes, it was a late hit but people are overly exaggerating what happened on that play. Just my thought.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
10 years ago

One more thing...I think it is funny how much people are overreacting to the Matthews hit on Kaepernick. Matthews doesn't have a history of being a dirty player and I think this is all due to his comments he made before the game being blown out of proportion by that idiot coach, Jimmy Harbaugh. Yes, it was a late hit but people are overly exaggerating what happened on that play. Just my thought.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

Yeah, I think it's a huge overreaction, as well. Yes, it was a late hit, but it was at full speed and he left his feet while still in bounds. I'm sure it's very difficult to stop Kaepernick, so things like that are going to happen from time to time. I didn't see it as a big deal, and honestly didn't mind it a whole lot. I'll take a few penalties here and there if the defense plays with a nasty side and more intensity. If that's the case, I think the net gain would be MUCH more than a few 15 yard penalties.
sschind
10 years ago

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

I think Matthews was looking for the first opportunity he could get to lay a lick on Kaepernick. I'm not saying he was going to intentionally try to lay him out with a late hit or an illegal hit but he was not going to be afraid to play it very close to the edge. I don't think he was going to let the idea of a personal foul penalty get in the way of a big hit if it could be close.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

Kerry Rhodes is starting to look like a better option.

Also based on week 1 I wouldn't be surprised to see Neal challenge Perry for the starting spot down the line.

I believe Mike Neal started over Nick Perry yesterday.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

I believe Mike Neal started over Nick Perry yesterday.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Interesting how Perry picked up another sack and strip fumble coming from the right side of the defense. It might be from just playing the Lions twice this season, but he also had a strip sack and a number of pressures (IIRC) vs Baltimore as well. I know he played on that side in college. Is it possible they've just been playing him on the wrong side?
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (15h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.