Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline musccy  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 4:34:16 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 734
Applause Received: 725
This blame the refs crap gets really tiresome. 49ers had 11/85 penalties compared to I believe 5/44 for gb. They got two phantom calls with bowman on the sideline and staley's gift during the clay debacle. Some questionable the other way such as boldin push off or hold of bush on kaep scramble but hardly difference making and if anything the packers got the collective gifts from the refs
thanks Post received 3 applause.
Zero2Cool on 9/9/2013(UTC), sschind on 9/9/2013(UTC), gotarace on 9/9/2013(UTC)
Offline sschind  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 6:19:54 AM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 354
Applause Received: 764
Dulak said: Go to Quoted Post
did the 49 actually get called for any holds? - remember that big kapernick run and that guy #49 was it really held his man.

I always wonder about bias when it comes to the home team (and maybe the refs don't want to piss off the fans).

I always wonder about the bias of homer fans. They always see the opponents committing way more penalties than their own team
Offline Pack93z  
#13 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 6:49:50 AM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Applause Given: 436
Applause Received: 1,208
A couple of things.. the coaches can say it all they want.. but flipping guys from one side to the other impacts their play.. especially when the competition is a pro bowl player like Justin Smith, that dude is a physical beast.

It was the first game.. and I think at least two of those calls were legit.. Sitton has to clean that up before we see these guys again.

People talk about Suh... but Justin Smith for my money is right there with the best defensive lineman in the league.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
StoicFire on 9/10/2013(UTC), macbob on 9/10/2013(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#14 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 8:02:00 AM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724
Dulak said: Go to Quoted Post
did the 49 actually get called for any holds? - remember that big kapernick run and that guy #49 was it really held his man.

I always wonder about bias when it comes to the home team (and maybe the refs don't want to piss off the fans).

I do question that often. You cannot help but notice bias.

No holding calls against SF's OL. None.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#15 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 4:27:57 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 23
Applause Received: 881
If you know anything about football you know that Every Olineman hold, and they learn how to hold without being called. You learn where the refs are and you learn what they can and cannot see. You learn how to let go of the hold to not get called. That changes from side to side also.

It was also some nice acting on SF's part.
Offline nyrpack  
#16 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 4:30:33 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 8
Applause Received: 106
had a bad game, but it was against a very good defensive team !!
Offline RaiderPride  
#17 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 9:18:53 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 326
Pack93z said: Go to Quoted Post
A couple of things.. the coaches can say it all they want.. but flipping guys from one side to the other impacts their play.. especially when the competition is a pro bowl player like Justin Smith, that dude is a physical beast.

It was the first game.. and I think at least two of those calls were legit.. Sitton has to clean that up before we see these guys again.

People talk about Suh... but Justin Smith for my money is right there with the best defensive lineman in the league.

As usual 93 Z is a keyboard typing read of reason.

The switch of Lang and Sitton did not work out as planned on either side of the line. It was the first game, and everyone here besides perhaps... (Insert Packers Home Member Name Here.) knows that the O line needs time to jell as a unit.

93 Z is as right as rain, Smith is a BEAST.

Right off the bat.. Smith made Sitton look horrible on a running play? (First drive?) I think Smith got right in Sitton's head, right there and right then.

You know O Linemen. They are too smart, to analytical, and tend to over think things. Sitton will be fine.

Great Post 93 Z...

BUT THEN AGAIN... I SURE CAN UNDERSTAND ZERO's Frustration.

14 and 2 on the year. TRUST ME! : )
Offline StoicFire  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:29:49 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 32
Applause Received: 60
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
There were many times he held inside the pads. Plain as day. Disappointing.

DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, I don't get it. The holds were incredibly obvious, imo. Thinking otherwise is seeing things through green and gold glasses. Holds often could go either way, but Sitton definitely was blatantly holding several times.

Blocking Lineman are permitted to grasp defenders inside the shoulder pads. What you saw was not illegal, it was OK.

From the NFL rule book: "Blocker cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an opponent in a manner that restricts his movement as the play develops."

I think one of the calls on Sitton was obviously correct, as he got one arm outside of Smith's body and prevented lateral movement toward the ball carrier.
I thought another one of the calls was close, ticky-tack, or good acting by Smith... not sure.
One of them though (I believe it was the third one called, where Sitton through up his hands in disgust afterwards) seemed like a perfectly legal block to me. I can see why Clements and company would not agree with all of the calls.
Offline DoddPower  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:34:47 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2015

United States
Applause Given: 3,289
Applause Received: 914
StoicFire said: Go to Quoted Post
Blocking Lineman are permitted to grasp defenders inside the shoulder pads. What you saw was not illegal, it was OK.

From the NFL rule book: "Blocker cannot use his hands or arms to push from behind, hang onto, or encircle an opponent in a manner that restricts his movement as the play develops."

I think one of the calls on Sitton was obviously correct, as he got one arm outside of Smith's body and prevented lateral movement toward the ball carrier.
I thought another one of the calls was close, ticky-tack, or good acting by Smith... not sure.
One of them though (I believe it was the third one called, where Sitton through up his hands in disgust afterwards) seemed like a perfectly legal block to me. I can see why Clements and company would not agree with all of the calls.

It's well known, but holding calls can almost always go either way, except for the incredibly obvious ones. I thought Sitton was holding on his penalties, but I wouldn't have been shocked to see them not called, either. Things always look a lot different when one is a few feet away at live speed. Much different, usually. As someone who has been an umpire for base ball and soft ball a lot, I can attest to that fact. It's very difficult. I can't imagine how hard it must be at NFL speed. If something is in the gray area, I'm not surprised if it's called or not called. In fact, I think there were several holding calls against the Packers that weren't called, but that didn't surprise me. It can go either way.
Offline StoicFire  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:57:05 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 32
Applause Received: 60
DoddPower said: Go to Quoted Post
It's well known, but holding calls can almost always go either way, except for the incredibly obvious ones. I thought Sitton was holding on his penalties, but I wouldn't have been shocked to see them not called, either. Things always look a lot different when one is a few feet away at live speed. Much different, usually. As someone who has been an umpire for base ball and soft ball a lot, I can attest to that fact. It's very difficult. I can't imagine how hard it must be at NFL speed. If something is in the gray area, I'm not surprised if it's called or not called. In fact, I think there were several holding calls against the Packers that weren't called, but that didn't surprise me. It can go either way.

Yeah. I can't imagine what it would be like at that speed. My only refereeing experience is at recreational level soccer leagues, but even then it can always be tough to see exactly what happened.

I also thought I saw several holds that were uncalled by both teams actually. I'm glad that holding isn't called every down.

The real reason for that post was the rules clarification though, because I wasn't sure whether everyone was clear on it or not.
Rss Feed