DoddPower
10 years ago

As long as we are all ranting at least let me say that I have been asking for a top safety in the draft for 2 years now. I wanted Harrison Smith (you can check the archives) and I wanted one this year. I was told because we didn't address the need in the draft it is because they didn't see it as a problem. Well guess what they were completely wrong twice. Our safeties need help big time. We may never find another Nick Collins, but we cannot go from his level of talent to what we have now and expect another Super Bowl.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

I get the point, but the safety play will improve with Burnett back there. A team missing their best safety will always leave something to be desired.

The other safety position could still be improved, but hopefully McMillian can develop into that role one Burnett is back. I have no faith in Jennings though, and wish we had better depth there. To be fair though, it's always a trade off. Had the Packers possibly upgraded the safety position, it could leave another position thin, such as OLB or DL. Jolly is certainly helping with the defensive line issues, but no one could truly expect that. The jury is still out on Nick Perry, but without him, the Packers would be in even worse shape. At least he played decent against the run and contained the outside fairly well against the 49'ers.
DoddPower
10 years ago

Based on these numbers, add the two sacks (I counted 3, but I guess they called it a tuck and run for a loss), there were 41 drop backs, of which there were 7 pressures and 2 sacks. So, Kaepernick was under pressure 22% of his pass plays, instead of the 0% (all day) many have intimated.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

My bigger point is much more comprehensive. Very few conclusions can be drawn off of one game, especially Week 1. The 49'ers offensive line is unquestionably better in my opinion, and Aaron Rodgers has basically never had a very good one. There's a reason he was the most sacked QB last season. True, some of those are his fault, but a lot of the success the Packers have had is attributable to those same qualities that Rodgers has that leads to some sacks. I would trade offensive lines in a heart beat with the 49'er's if I could. You seem to be very interested in drilling down to the details of a single game. That's fine, but it ultimately doesn't mean much, and no definitive conclusions can be drawn. Conclusions can't even be drawn from Kapernick's entire sample size, to date, but it's much better than a single game.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a fact that Aaron Rodgers is very often under very quick pressure, more so than most quarterbacks in the NFL, especially the good teams, and definitely more than Kaepernick. It seems to be even worse in critical situations. Many of the organizations moves reflect that sentiment too. Aaron Rodgers could be much more effective if he had a better offensive line, such as what Tom Brady has enjoyed for much of his career.

Also, I'm confident that Rodgers would play much better against the Packers defense than he would against the 49'ers, despite any knowledge of the schemes. If Rodgers could play behind the 49'ers offensive line AND against the Packers defense, I would be betting some cash on the outcome of that game, and I don't think I need to explain why. Ultimately, this is why direct comparisons are futile and somewhat silly, although they do seem to sell and draw ratings, so the talking heads love it. It's very fair to compare teams, and the 49'ers are a much better team than the Packers from top to bottom, imo. I think if both teams played their best ball, the 49'ers would win the majority of the games, probably something like 70-80%. However, things change fast so that statement could change within a season or so.
sschind
10 years ago
Someone said it before and I am too lazy to go back and find out who (sorry) but I think a major difference between Rodgers and Kaepernick in this game were Boldin and to a lesser extent Davis. These guys were wide open all game long and when you have wide open receivers it is going to be much easier to throw the ball. I don't recall seeing any Packers receivers as wide open as regularly as these two guys were. I guess that means our secondary made CK look better than he may be.

Going into the game I was convinced that CK was a runner that would be and average QB if this was taken away from him. I have changed my mind a bit on that. I'd still like him to show what he can do against a team that doesn't leave guys wide open all the time.

The stats for Rodgers and Kaepernick were not that much different. If it weren't for the INT, which wasn't Rodgers fault, I'd dare say they were pretty much equal. The 49ers outplayed us in pretty much every other aspect of play and that is why we lost. This game was not won or lost by either team based on the play of the QBs.
play2win
10 years ago

My bigger point is much more comprehensive. Very few conclusions can be drawn off of one game, especially Week 1. The 49'ers offensive line is unquestionably better in my opinion, and Aaron Rodgers has basically never had a very good one. There's a reason he was the most sacked QB last season. True, some of those are his fault, but a lot of the success the Packers have had is attributable to those same qualities that Rodgers has that leads to some sacks. I would trade offensive lines in a heart beat with the 49'er's if I could. You seem to be very interested in drilling down to the details of a single game. That's fine, but it ultimately doesn't mean much, and no definitive conclusions can be drawn. Conclusions can't even be drawn from Kapernick's entire sample size, to date, but it's much better than a single game.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a fact that Aaron Rodgers is very often under very quick pressure, more so than most quarterbacks in the NFL, especially the good teams, and definitely more than Kaepernick. It seems to be even worse in critical situations. Many of the organizations moves reflect that sentiment too. Aaron Rodgers could be much more effective if he had a better offensive line, such as what Tom Brady has enjoyed for much of his career.

Also, I'm confident that Rodgers would play much better against the Packers defense than he would against the 49'ers, despite any knowledge of the schemes. If Rodgers could play behind the 49'ers offensive line AND against the Packers defense, I would be betting some cash on the outcome of that game, and I don't think I need to explain why. Ultimately, this is why direct comparisons are futile and somewhat silly, although they do seem to sell and draw ratings, so the talking heads love it. It's very fair to compare teams, and the 49'ers are a much better team than the Packers from top to bottom, imo. I think if both teams played their best ball, the 49'ers would win the majority of the games, probably something like 70-80%. However, things change fast so that statement could change within a season or so.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Well, first, I'm not looking to draw any difinitive conclusions from a single game, but the thread was discussing that game last played. I've seen enough of Kaepernick to believe he is the real deal. Maybe not a better pure passer than Rodgers, but pretty close, and better on the run.

Second, Rodgers and Keaepernick both made some pretty quick throws. Would I take their OL? Probably. But, ours actually played pretty well. Something not many here wanted to admit, that he had a clean pocket to throw from 77% of the game.
play2win
10 years ago

Someone said it before and I am too lazy to go back and find out who (sorry) but I think a major difference between Rodgers and Kaepernick in this game were Boldin and to a lesser extent Davis. These guys were wide open all game long and when you have wide open receivers it is going to be much easier to throw the ball. I don't recall seeing any Packers receivers as wide open as regularly as these two guys were. I guess that means our secondary made CK look better than he may be.

Going into the game I was convinced that CK was a runner that would be and average QB if this was taken away from him. I have changed my mind a bit on that. I'd still like him to show what he can do against a team that doesn't leave guys wide open all the time.

The stats for Rodgers and Kaepernick were not that much different. If it weren't for the INT, which wasn't Rodgers fault, I'd dare say they were pretty much equal. The 49ers outplayed us in pretty much every other aspect of play and that is why we lost. This game was not won or lost by either team based on the play of the QBs.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Great post sschind. Yes, our S play was severely lacking, and I agree that is what lost this game for us.
DoddPower
10 years ago

Would I take their OL? Probably.

If you actually have to think about that one, it tells me everything I need to know. No need to continue.
play2win
10 years ago

If you actually have to think about that one, it tells me everything I need to know. No need to continue.

Well, now what is that? Seems like you are just pissed that Rodgers wasn't actually running for his life like you and steveishere had intimated.

Whatever.

I think our OL played very well, against one of the top defensive fronts in the NFL. I believe they deserve a chance to gel as a unit before completely writing them off. Against that D they gave Rodgers a clean pocket to throw from 77% of the time.

Yeah, I guess I don't know anything DoddPower. It was nothing personal, but I just did not agree that Kaepernick had all day, and Rodgers was under constant pressure. Both statements were wrong.
steveishere
10 years ago

Well, now what is that? Seems like you are just pissed that Rodgers wasn't actually running for his life like you and steveishere had intimated.

Whatever.

My only comment on Rodgers in this thread was that Kaepernick had cleaner pockets and not once did I say or "intimate" he was "running for his life" so once again you are completely full of shit. Seriously you just can't argue with something a person actually said you have to sensationalize it into something else.

What you do would be like me saying that you are trying to argue that Kaepernick is a 10x better qb than Rodgers is and then calling you an idiot for thinking that. It's ridiculous.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

What you do would be like me saying that you are trying to argue that Kaepernick is a 10x better qb than Rodgers is and then calling you an idiot for thinking that. It's ridiculous.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Food for thought. Aaron Rodgers won more games in 2011 than Colin Kaepernick has started in his career.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

You make a lot of valid points, Dodd. Just the same, I still have to disagree about the Niners winning the majority, etc.

Sunday's game was certainly within range of a win for the Packers. And that was with the rare freaky miscues on offense (I bet Lacy never gets victimized that way again), with the officials' screwup, with Kaepernick arguably playing over his head - based on the games he has played with everybody but the Packers, with Burnett and Hayward out, and with the O Line that, well, let's say has to improve cuz it can't get any worse.

With all of that, one minute more on the clock and we undoubtedly would have pulled it out.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.